Thread: Kepler-Bradley

Bikes are good

Kepler-Bradley

??? I know it's early, but any word???

Am I hoping for the impossible?
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Give it time...A few more weeks should do, but don't get on it just yet i think.

Bikes are good
    I guess a few more laps up Arctic Valley then. Weeeeee.

Fatback
    I talked with Howie today and he said the same. The fields are fairly dry, but not the trails. 1 to 2 more weeks. I'm hoping to hear back from the State soon regarding the 24hr race on these trails. I'll post it as soon as possible.
    Speedway Cycles owner http://fatbackbikes.com

Ologist
    My guess is that without any rain these trails are good to go if VBHA and IMBA are doing group rides on them come Sunday??

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    LEts here from Mark first. I believe it was a "group hike or bike" depending on trail conditions.

Some individuals have been biking around the local trails and I would say a large portion just aren't there yet as evidenced by deep tire grooves in the muck. I know everyone is jonesin for some singeltrack, but keep trail conditions in mind.

On that note...if it ISSSS dry. Woo hoo!!!

FatBike Fiend

Still wet in quite a few places.

Just got back from a walk at Kepler. Most of it is drying nicely but there's enough wet spots that I'd say another week and it should be fine. I saw a couple sets of fresh MTB tracks and they were leaving ruts in a few places.

The work site for the trail clinic this weekend is dry and dusty and appears frost free.

The CrevMo end is still way too wet. The fields are good for walking, still too wet for biking.

Looks like we'll be walking for our Sunday ride or hike (sigh).

Soon, soon.
    Owner, Trailwerx Trails Contracting
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

FatBike Fiend

Oh yeah,

forgot to mention that the Div. of Forestry will be burning off the fields at the Experimental Farm this weekend so expect some commotion and/or sheets of flame if in the area.
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    so much for watching sandhills!

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

Help me understand....

Help me understand why K-B end is dryer than CrevMo end?? I assume the CrevMo trails are mechanically groomed in the winter thus creating more resistent snow pack.

Where does it start to get soggy on the Long Lake trail going north to CrevMo trails.

Regards,

EndUser
    My advice and $3 will buy you nothing more than a tunafish sandwich

Ologist
    is it soil compaction and water percolation issues on top of that late groomed ice pack?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The long lake trail and pretty much all of crevasse moraine is in the shade, so it enevitably will take a bit longer to dry out. Also, the kepler end probably doesn't get nearly as much winter use, therefore the snow isn't packed down as much.

A large portion of Kepler is in the sun and even the shaded parts get more wind, creating dryer trail conditions. It's easier for a 24 inch wide, sustainably built and well drained dirt trail (Kepler) to dry out than miles of dozer line with compacted ice and numerous fall line routes. It's mucky in there.

Bikes are good

so the consensus is...

no riding there this weekend? If not, the dome trail needs a chain gang this weekend. Somebody did a solid and took care of most trees blown over by the hurricane in January, but there is debris and some big ones toward the top.

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

Everytime I've been on the lost lake trail....

Every summer when I ride the Lost Lake Trail (I only get up there once a year) it seems mucky in parts.... always.... ten years running. KB trails are always dryer it seems.

What is the current muck factor? Normal muck being 0.... unridable muck being a 5.

So, In your best estimate, when can the Lost Lake - CrevMo trails be ridden?

Regards,

EndUser

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I dunno man, one week? No one isgoing to yell at you if you go, just be wise and use good judgment.

I don't know how far you are from the valley, but it's always worth a look and you can simply get off your bike and walk around if it's real bad. Head to KB and check it out. Worst comes to worst, you could always head into town for some grub and a beer or something. Also, the Pamer-Sutton RR trail might be dry?

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

Thanks....

Quote Originally Posted by eze8513
    I dunno man, one week? No one isgoing to yell at you if you go, just be wise and use good judgment.

I don't know how far you are from the valley, but it's always worth a look and you can simply get off your bike and walk around if it's real bad. Head to KB and check it out. Worst comes to worst, you could always head into town for some grub and a beer or something. Also, the Pamer-Sutton RR trail might be dry?
    I don't mind mucking around.... I just don't want to disrespect the local trail users.

I'm in Anchorage so it's not a big deal from a distance perspective, but I'm planning on taking a vacation day so I'm just trying to get the best information that I can. I want to ride if I can and limit the walking.

Thanks again,

EndUser

Mar 2007

kepler

out at kepler 4 of the last 7 days still tooo wet for riding especially in the connector trails in the woods give it another week and it will be bomb proof
    tread lightly and be a good nieghbor we are allowed to ride at Kepler cause the University system allows us to

Ologist
    There is a nice, dry, veg-free singletrack out at the coastal refuge - excellent condition except a new house construction has now truncated the south end of the trail. Lots of runners yesterday but I think we were the first bikes. Seems like thing are drying out ahead od schedule this year.

FatBike Fiend

Mooseberry Mesa

I walked out to check on Mooseberry Mesa with Jason and Inga of the IMBA Trail Care Crew yesterday. The ridgetop and upper south facing area are super dry but the lower sections are still gooey. From what I saw of the Crevasse Moraine trails, they are mostly dry except for big puddles at the bottoms of some of the hills and a few soft sections. Even the horse people have been staying off the trails so far this year so a bunch of obvious MTB tracks out there right now would be not so good from a PR standpoint.

It was 70 degrees yesterday. If this weather holds I am thinking dry enough trails by next weekend. Soon, soon.
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

FatBike Fiend

With a little work...

It wouldn't take a whole lot of elbow grease at Kepler Bradley to correct all those little wet spots with small reroutes and/or drainage improvements so's we could ride those trails weeks earlier in the spring and have a dry place to ride when everywhere else is still too wet.
    Pretty sure State Parks would permit it. Who's in? Power to the Pulaski! Motion to the McCleod! We have a trailer full 'o tools ready to go.
    Last edited by Wildfire; 05-01-2009 at 12:40 PM.
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Beta on why Crev Mo doesn't dry out and KepBrad does

Here's da background: CrevMo was built by and for XC skiing with a Cat...they basically put the trails straight up and down the fall lines (this was before people in the late 20th century knew about contour trails)...right along the ridge tops and right thru the valley bottoms...Ed Strabel, who does lots of coaching, was instrumental in laying out the trails, and if you've noticed his son was the Alaska Skimeister a couple of years ago, so that's the caliber of skier they designed for...they're definitely way too steep even for average intermediate XC skiers...and because they are ridget top fall line valley bottom the fall line trails collect any moisture via gravity and it all goes to the bottom (plus any snowmelt from surrounding hills)...I call 'em toliet bowls because they are so steep in such a small area although more like plugged bowls.

Long Lake Trail (not Lost Lake) was also catted in by the borough and they stayed mainly on the ridge tops, but as you know it's got a few whopper hills. The reason why these haven't turned into grand canyons is because of light precip, lots of drying winds, and lots of silt brought by the glaciers and/or wind. The silt acts like clay and bonds real well, hence plugging the bowl, but also binding up the backcuts on trails (take a look at the trail around the NW side of Kepler? Lake (the lake with the State Park handicap access). That's practically a 90 degree backslope on that trail, and it stays put (fairly well but not perfect) cause of all that binding silt.

KepBrad was developed by the horse back riders following moose trails between lakes, with a couple of jeep tracks thrown in...no Cats involved, horses don't mind wandering and being on side hills, and they did it mainly on the ridge tops, plus there's a lot less toliet bowl trails in that area (until Mark and VMBAH came in at Mooseberry)...so that's why there's so much entrenchment 'cause them equines have how many PSI per hoof?

So since we got that contour concept figgered out, I guess Mooseberry is more like that ring around the toliet bowl rim then? Sorry Mark, couldn't resist...not to trash the valley; CrevMoKepBrad is the best front country system in SC AK, in my opinion!

Anyway, learn about these concepts more from IMBA and then take it out in the field and you can use it to predict where you'll find the dry riding, just like predicting powder.

FatBike Fiend

Hey!

Quote Originally Posted by singletrack99501

So since we got that contour concept figgered out, I guess Mooseberry is more like that ring around the toliet bowl rim then? Sorry Mark, couldn't resist...not to trash the valley; CrevMoKepBrad is the best front country system in SC AK, in my opinion!
    Thanks Kevin, sort of.
    Perhaps I could also introduce you to the concept of the Swirly.

Members who have read this thread: 0