Kenai Trail Conditions in Mid-Oct?- Mtbr.com
    ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

New question here. Kenai Trail Conditions in Mid-Oct?

How are the trails down on the Kenai? I see the snow slowly creeping down the mountains here in Anchorage and the Valley so I was wondering what the trails are like down on the Kenai?The last time I was down there was for Johnson about 3 weeks ago.

Has anyone been down there recently?
    Do any have snow, and if so how much? What about soggy saturated trails or bear problems?

Just curious, I would like to get down there to do a ride maybe on Sunday and so was wondering what they were like.

Christopher

mtbr member

Johnson Pass 10-15-04

We rode Johnson on Friday--saw about 3 doz. swans on all the ponds next to the highway. Popped out of the fog above Turnagain Pass to blue skies, about 38 degrees, semi-frozen ground and a very thin ice layer over limited puddles. Awesome traction going up to the pass due to the freeze, but on the way back things started to melt in the sun and the trail was pretty sticky. Snowline was very high still. Watch out for slimy leaves and roots slicker-than-snot. On a clear day, DO NOT FORGET YOUR CAMERA!!!

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

Thanks, anybody want to share any 'less known' trails.

hanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen Bee
    We rode Johnson on Friday--saw about 3 doz. swans on all the ponds next to the highway. Popped out of the fog above Turnagain Pass to blue skies, about 38 degrees, semi-frozen ground and a very thin ice layer over limited puddles. Awesome traction going up to the pass due to the freeze, but on the way back things started to melt in the sun and the trail was pretty sticky. Snowline was very high still. Watch out for slimy leaves and roots slicker-than-snot. On a clear day, DO NOT FORGET YOUR CAMERA!!!
    Thanks for the info, I got a *really* late start Sunday so I ended up checking out random pull offs from the road for a couple hours until dark to see where they went or if they just peter'd out really quick.

Truely beautiful out there though, the lake at the "Y" had some ice starting to form in a calm spot on it and everything on the northside of hills (even along the road) still had a layer of frost on it at around 3pm. A lot of the puddles had decent layer of ice on them though wherever I went. Trails were lightly frozen or just slightly damp for what I checked out. Until later in the day hardly any clouds in the sky where I was.

Does anyone know of any lesser known trails on the Kenai that you are legally allowed to bike? I have ridden everything in the Larsen book for the Kenai except Resurrection River and Russian Lakes so far. I would love to find some other less know trails, no matter what the length. I have found a few but thought I would throw the question out there.

Christopher