Bikes are good

Just wondering

Can you fit 29 inch rims in a pugsley?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yes. It has been done by many people.

Bikes are good

So then...

You'd have a snow bike in the winter, and a 29r' in the summer? Like, an official 29r? Like, put a front shock on and it's like a Regular 29er bike?

That seems way to cool to be true.

mtbr member

Pugs 29'er solution

I have a set of 29r's with Nokian studs and Weirwolfs all set up for my Pugs. You are welcome to try them out any time. I might even consider letting them go if you talk real nice. I only have about 100 miles on the wheels, about 50 on each set of tires. I like the fat tires better, so these are just sitting neglected. Rick Shaw built them.

Bikes are good

Great

I just need the bike now. You keep those puppies until then.

I'm stoked the bike will run 29r tires. I wanted to buy a 29 inch wheel bike for a while. 2 birds with one stone, as it were.

What kind of front shock can you put on for some suspension then?

mtbr member
    They are actually currently for sale and might not be available for you to try if you don't get off your duff and get the bike. Santa-shmanta, get the bike! I'm willing to let them go at a really great value, someone simply has to make an offer. I have them listed on the other Alaska forum, akspokes.com, but haven't received any responses yet. It has been pointed out to me that they can be built new for the price I have them at, and since I'm not too proud and need to pay for something else pretty quickly, will let them go pretty cheaply.

I don't use suspension, so I'm not sure what is available, maybe someone else can pipe in, but I'd guess that anything that works for any other 29'er would work for these. I have them set up for the straight Surly fork, so I'm pretty sure the front wheel will work on any 29'er front shock.

If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will let me know. Lurkers! Take your posts!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Here's the problem. The HTA on a Pug is already pretty slack. If you put a 29er suspension fork on it, it will be even slacker. The A-C on the Pug is 447mm. The typical 80mm suspension corrected rigid 29er fork is 470mm. This will slacken the HTA even further, by about 1 degree. BUT, this puts it a bit slacker than G2 geometry, so finding a 51mm offset F29 80mm fork would work out nicely I would think. It would give you a more neutral steering than the slow steering a less offset fork would allow. You might be just fine with an '09 Reba with 46mm offset as well. Some run a DUC32 with an endomorph even.

Members who have read this thread: 0