Just starting out- Mtbr.com

May 2007

Just starting out

Since running and basketball are no longer an option for me (4 knee surgeries) I've decided to try a new adventure MTB. Any suggestions on a type of hardtail bike to choose? I would like to spend between $600 - $800 (give or take a few bucks) but would like to get the best bike possible for the money. Who offers the best deals in town? where to ride? I live in Soldotna and would like to explore as many different trails as possible. thanks for the help

let's ride...
    Dec 2006
    Up to about $1,000 is a good place to begin your search for a bike. Cycling can be far easier on the joints, depending on your riding style.

If you think that you will be spending the majority of your time riding off road, I would suggest that you consider a full suspension. For newbie riders, they tend to offer the most forgiveness for choosing poor lines and the dreaded "saddle-a**".

In Anchorage, I am a fan of The Bike Shop. It's particularly friendly toward new riders and they have a wide selection of bikes for all of the various riding styles. However, I am a fan of Kona. They make strong bikes, though they tend to be a bit heavier, and they come nicely equiped for the price range. For Kona, you'll have to check REI to see a selection. I believe Alaska Mountain Bike Source can order them, but I don't think they have any real selection in stock...

A good place to check for trails is here on MTBR.com. It's a start. You can also check out the book, 49 trails in the 49th state.

good luck and happy riding.

Ologist
    I bought my Kona cyclocross bike down there at Beemun's (sp) in Soldotna and got a good deal on it too.

Diaskeuast
    The Bicycle Shop, Paramount and Chain Reaction will all take decent care of you. In this town, it's more a matter of which shop carries the bike that best fits you and suits your needs. All the big brands (Specialized, Gary Fisher, Trek, Giant, etc.) are going to give you comparable quality and durability in whatever price range you can handle.

Hellbilly's right about full-suspension being easier on the body, and I think FS bikes are more fun to ride, but I'd stay away from any model under about $1,500. If you're spending a few hundred or a thousand bucks, you'll get a much better and lighter rig if you stay with a hard-tail as an entry-level bike, and it'll help you build your skills so that you're not relying on suspension to make up for your less-than-ideal bike-handling ability.

Get the shop folks to help you determine a good fit, then buy the bike that's the most comfortable and fun to ride.
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

Caveman
    Yeah what Tim said, in that price range its better to have a quality hard tail with good components than a heavy full suspension with low end stuff.

Mr.Secret
    I totally agree with Mr.'s Woody & Bearbait, stay away from a FS in your price range. You'll get a better spec on the components with a nice hardtail. It will also let you learn to pick the smooth , fast, lines. Good luck
    ...think we'll ever get outta' this world alive ?...

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    A Cane Creek Thudbuster on a hardtail makes a decent "poor man's" suspension. You have to figure which elastomer combo is right for you, but once you do it's quite nice. I haven't tried the newer-style models, but the old one took the edge off pretty well.

May 2007
    thanks for the help.

Members who have read this thread: 0