Juneau in June- Mtbr.com

Thread: Juneau in June

Nov 2006

Juneau in June

I'm heading up to Juneau/Douglas to visit some family in June. I've been up there a few times, but never to ride, and I realized just now that I might be able to this time around. So I was hoping you guys might be able to help me out.

Is there riding in the area? A nice shop to rent a small bike from? Some hip locals who want to go riding in exchange for a drink or two?

I'd appreciate any info you might have!

Happy trails,
    sarah from wisconsin

Dec 2006
    I'd check out the trail review portion of mtbr... (all bikers are hip and with the times)

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    PM Jilleo...or wait she'll be on here in a bit...

I'm from Utah
    Hi Sarah

I live in Juneau. I know all the bike trails around here, all 4.73 miles of them. But I'd be happy to show you around if I'm in town. You can contact Glacier Cycles about renting - not sure if they do.

Send me an e-mail [email protected] when you start making plans.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

4.73 miles?!?!?

WOW!!! Well, it looks like I'm coming to Juneau, but I guess not for the epic mtn biking! I'm arriving in early May and leaving early August (contract position). So I guess the mtn biking ain't great. What about the road cycling? Thanks in advance, Dan aka Foghorn

@adelorenzo
    If you can take a couple of days, come to the Yukon. From Juneau its a 3-hour ferry ride to Skagway and then 1-2 hour drive to Whitehorse or Carcross.

Mountain Bike UK called it the next mountain bike Mecca, and Grey Mountain (in Whitehorse) as one of the most epic rides they've ever done.

Also, our 24 Hours of Light mountain bike festival takes place June 28-29.

Feb 2007
    I was exagerating a bit on the low end about the 4.73 miles ... but not much. Perserverence Trail is a lot of fun but only about that long ... 10 miles round trip. Salmon Creek Trail is 4.5 miles RT. Dredge Lake trail system is a great maze of singletrack but in a fairly small area. Montana Creek is 4 miles RT. Herbert Glacier is 9 miles RT. As far as roads, the Glacier/Thane Highway is ~45 miles from the southern end to the northern end. The Douglas Highway is 15 miles. There you go.

Yes, it's great to be a cyclist in Juneau.

The best idea in the summer is to ditch the bike and get out on foot. There are miles and miles of amazing trails here, but they all go straight up.

- Jill

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

thanks to all

We fully intend to see as much of the area as possible while we are around and want to do t all; not just biking (but we are training for an ironman triathlon in the fall so the bike will be mandatory), but kayaking, running, hiking, camping etc... not to turn y'all into our personal tour guides, but if you have any insight about those activities please share it!! Also any rec's re: decent apartments/condo's and storage options for the above toys would be appreciated too. Thanks in advance - Dan

Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by foghorn32
    We fully intend to see as much of the area as possible while we are around and want to do t all; not just biking (but we are training for an ironman triathlon in the fall so the bike will be mandatory), but kayaking, running, hiking, camping etc... not to turn y'all into our personal tour guides, but if you have any insight about those activities please share it!! Also any rec's re: decent apartments/condo's and storage options for the above toys would be appreciated too. Thanks in advance - Dan
    the most important reccomendation about doing any outdoor activities in juneau is that you must be mentally ready to get wet on every outing. you will be here the driest time of the year but it will still rain most days. if you can become comfortable with this you will find that there are new places to explore pretty much everyday. as already stated the biking options are very limited but the trail running/hiking is as good as you'll find anywhere (as long as you're ok with mud, roots, rocks, bears, and a lot of elevation gain). and as anthony said, get up to whitehorse with your mountain bike as often as possible.

as far as housing / storage reccomendations: don't expect to find anything cheap. expect to pay in the $700-1,100 range for one bedroom apartment/condo's. and downtown juneau or douglas is a lot nicer (to live) than the mendenhall valley (IMO), but no matter where you're staying you will have nearby access to trails. there are trails everywhere.

Oct 2005
    i heard there was a sweet 20 mile single-ish track in Douglas called...the ditch...i think.

I'm from Utah

Treadwell Ditch Trail

I guess that sorta depends on your definition of sweet ...

I've only made it the first three-four miles on either side. But if you had a good pair of waterproof boots, didn't mind fording a few streams, and ditched the bike, you can make a good go of the 20-mile stretch.

I'm from Utah
    Quote Originally Posted by William D
    i heard there was a sweet 20 mile single-ish track in Douglas called...the ditch...i think.
    i live one block from the southern end of this trail, and although i have run the 18 mile length of it in about 3 hours multiple times I would not suggest that anyone attempt to bike the entire trail. it would turn into an all day endeavor in which you were continually cursing the 25 pound hunk of metal you were carrying with you most of the time. that said though, there are several stretches which are fun when it doesn't rain for awhile, especially if you have a fatbike.

Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jilleo
    i live one block from the southern end of this trail, and although i have run the 18 mile length of it in about 3 hours multiple times I would not suggest that anyone attempt to bike the entire trail. it would turn into an all day endeavor in which you were continually cursing the 25 pound hunk of metal you were carrying with you most of the time. that said though, there are several stretches which are fun when it doesn't rain for awhile, especially if you have a fatbike.
    sorry jill. i posted this on your account again by mistake.

Members who have read this thread: 0