Juneau in June- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Juneau in June

  1. #1

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    6

    Juneau in June

    I'm heading up to Juneau/Douglas to visit some family in June. I've been up there a few times, but never to ride, and I realized just now that I might be able to this time around. So I was hoping you guys might be able to help me out.

    Is there riding in the area? A nice shop to rent a small bike from? Some hip locals who want to go riding in exchange for a drink or two?

    I'd appreciate any info you might have!

    Happy trails,
    sarah from wisconsin

  2. #2

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    132
    I'd check out the trail review portion of mtbr... (all bikers are hip and with the times)

  3. #3
    HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    923
    PM Jilleo...or wait she'll be on here in a bit...

  4. #4
    I'm from Utah
    Reputation: Jilleo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    171
    Hi Sarah

    I live in Juneau. I know all the bike trails around here, all 4.73 miles of them. But I'd be happy to show you around if I'm in town. You can contact Glacier Cycles about renting - not sure if they do.

    Send me an e-mail [email protected] when you start making plans.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    42

    4.73 miles?!?!?

    WOW!!! Well, it looks like I'm coming to Juneau, but I guess not for the epic mtn biking! I'm arriving in early May and leaving early August (contract position). So I guess the mtn biking ain't great. What about the road cycling? Thanks in advance, Dan aka Foghorn

  6. #6
    @adelorenzo
    Reputation: anthony.delorenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,670
    If you can take a couple of days, come to the Yukon. From Juneau its a 3-hour ferry ride to Skagway and then 1-2 hour drive to Whitehorse or Carcross.

    Mountain Bike UK called it the next mountain bike Mecca, and Grey Mountain (in Whitehorse) as one of the most epic rides they've ever done.

    Also, our 24 Hours of Light mountain bike festival takes place June 28-29.

  7. #7

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    110
    I was exagerating a bit on the low end about the 4.73 miles ... but not much. Perserverence Trail is a lot of fun but only about that long ... 10 miles round trip. Salmon Creek Trail is 4.5 miles RT. Dredge Lake trail system is a great maze of singletrack but in a fairly small area. Montana Creek is 4 miles RT. Herbert Glacier is 9 miles RT. As far as roads, the Glacier/Thane Highway is ~45 miles from the southern end to the northern end. The Douglas Highway is 15 miles. There you go.

    Yes, it's great to be a cyclist in Juneau.

    The best idea in the summer is to ditch the bike and get out on foot. There are miles and miles of amazing trails here, but they all go straight up.

    - Jill

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    42

    thanks to all

    We fully intend to see as much of the area as possible while we are around and want to do t all; not just biking (but we are training for an ironman triathlon in the fall so the bike will be mandatory), but kayaking, running, hiking, camping etc... not to turn y'all into our personal tour guides, but if you have any insight about those activities please share it!! Also any rec's re: decent apartments/condo's and storage options for the above toys would be appreciated too. Thanks in advance - Dan

  9. #9

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by foghorn32
    We fully intend to see as much of the area as possible while we are around and want to do t all; not just biking (but we are training for an ironman triathlon in the fall so the bike will be mandatory), but kayaking, running, hiking, camping etc... not to turn y'all into our personal tour guides, but if you have any insight about those activities please share it!! Also any rec's re: decent apartments/condo's and storage options for the above toys would be appreciated too. Thanks in advance - Dan
    the most important reccomendation about doing any outdoor activities in juneau is that you must be mentally ready to get wet on every outing. you will be here the driest time of the year but it will still rain most days. if you can become comfortable with this you will find that there are new places to explore pretty much everyday. as already stated the biking options are very limited but the trail running/hiking is as good as you'll find anywhere (as long as you're ok with mud, roots, rocks, bears, and a lot of elevation gain). and as anthony said, get up to whitehorse with your mountain bike as often as possible.

    as far as housing / storage reccomendations: don't expect to find anything cheap. expect to pay in the $700-1,100 range for one bedroom apartment/condo's. and downtown juneau or douglas is a lot nicer (to live) than the mendenhall valley (IMO), but no matter where you're staying you will have nearby access to trails. there are trails everywhere.

  10. #10

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    87
    i heard there was a sweet 20 mile single-ish track in Douglas called...the ditch...i think.

  11. #11
    I'm from Utah
    Reputation: Jilleo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    171

    Treadwell Ditch Trail

    I guess that sorta depends on your definition of sweet ...





    I've only made it the first three-four miles on either side. But if you had a good pair of waterproof boots, didn't mind fording a few streams, and ditched the bike, you can make a good go of the 20-mile stretch.

  12. #12
    I'm from Utah
    Reputation: Jilleo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by William D
    i heard there was a sweet 20 mile single-ish track in Douglas called...the ditch...i think.
    i live one block from the southern end of this trail, and although i have run the 18 mile length of it in about 3 hours multiple times I would not suggest that anyone attempt to bike the entire trail. it would turn into an all day endeavor in which you were continually cursing the 25 pound hunk of metal you were carrying with you most of the time. that said though, there are several stretches which are fun when it doesn't rain for awhile, especially if you have a fatbike.

  13. #13

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by Jilleo
    i live one block from the southern end of this trail, and although i have run the 18 mile length of it in about 3 hours multiple times I would not suggest that anyone attempt to bike the entire trail. it would turn into an all day endeavor in which you were continually cursing the 25 pound hunk of metal you were carrying with you most of the time. that said though, there are several stretches which are fun when it doesn't rain for awhile, especially if you have a fatbike.
    sorry jill. i posted this on your account again by mistake.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.