Johnson Pass conditions?- Mtbr.com
    Diaskeuast

Johnson Pass conditions?

I'm thinking about playing hooky from work for a day. Does anyone know how the trail is holding up and what the vegetation is like at this point in the season?

Ologist
    I haven't been up there for a few weeks but I imagine the veg is dying back now. The last couple of years early September has been super muddy (late last August it was so muddy that we had to throw our bikes in every lake on the way through). Resurrection is in great shape now and drier than usual - maybe Johnson is the same?

Mr.Secret
    Just took the Ventana tandem into Johnson's on Sun. and it's in great shape IMO.
    ...think we'll ever get outta' this world alive ?...

Apr 2006

Smile hooky you say? Ha!

Hey Tim! Just thought I'd give you a scare. I guess if Andy's playing hooky "bird" hunting (aka drinking much beer and smoking cigars...) you should be able to go bike a trail. Have fun out there! M

Diaskeuast

Friday trail report

I rode the trail end to end this afternoon with John (mshea's hubby) and it was a nasty slog through deep mud for several miles on the northern side of the pass. Fortunately, it gradually improved on the southern side of the pass and there was plenty of firm, fast trail. If I had it to do over again, I'd skip the mud and long car shuttle, and simply ride up and back from the south end.

Other than two pairs of hunters and a lone mountain biker near the northern end, we saw no one on the trail all day. Lots of fresh scat and bear prints, though.

The vegetation is dying back, but there's still enough to make arm and leg protection important. My legs took a beating before I finally stopped and covered them up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0