Johnson Pass- Mtbr.com

Thread: Johnson Pass

Bikes are good

Johnson Pass

We rode to the lake at Johnson Pass on Saturday. First out of town ride on the pugsley. Even though it's the cheap (relative to 4000 snow bikes) I can't see how the extra money would in the bike would have made that any cooler. It's a lot of money to pay for symmetry.
    The trail the snowmachines use from the trailhead is the way to go. The other one has some significant potholes, is very icy, and you could get lost. We were morons, so maybe just we would get lost. We went in on the snowmachine trail, came back on what we thought was the regular trail and lost it. Then rode through random swamps that luckily were rideable. Had to walk some. Very cool though. I was surprised to see a snowmachiner surprised at seeing bikers there.

I have Lake boots that are mostly worthless without the booties my mom made (yes, my mom made) from old snow pants. Per Arcticcycles man recommendation, I shoe gooed the bootie to the bottom of the Lake boot. I think a bit more insulation would make them perfect. Hands sweat with the pogies even without gloves, or glove liners on.

Ologist
    sounds like fun - trail conditions were good? did you do an up and back or all the way across?

Bikes are good

It was

Great. Trail conditions were super good on the snowmachine trail in all the way to the lake. We came back out that way, but it would have been fine going all the way over. Just didn't shuttle a car. I was going to say this weekend all the way over, but, um, it's snowing pretty good. We'll see. Probably be a Turnagain ski day instead.

mtbr member

pics

please post pics of your boots/booties...I'd really like to see what you've got going on...Maybe try posting pics on that other site (akspokes) as well, someitmes pics don't load onto my computer from this site...Same goes to anybody else with winter footwear innovations!!! thx

mtbr member

Shimanostein

I'll post others next week, but these are Shimano Clicker snowboard boots I got from Ebay for $40 (less than the cost of a bottle of Scotch, for instance). I drilled the screws out of the mount in the bottom, cut a small piece of the steel plate from the sole with a Dremel and slipped in a nutplate (thanks Bill Fleming) to attach the ATACS. Also taped the insole fragments back in that I had cut out. Pimping, dirt cheap, warm, and it only took about 45 minutes to do. The last photo shows some XXL Neo's I got from BJ's ($60 on sale for $20, that's what I'm talkin'bout). They slip right over the Shimanos in, like, two seconds totally snug. I'm going to screw some ATACS to the bottom of the Neo's for fun, but for what I needed they worked great just freeballin'.

Frosty Bottom midway.jpg

Midway 2.jpg

Overflow.jpg

mtbr member

mispost

Sorry, should have put that previous post on the "boot" thread; I've gone and screwed up Elfbkr's post. Now I have to self-mutilate.

Bikes are good

Yeeah

This is about johnson pass, not your fashion choices.

Those are cool though.

My get up with the overboot works okay. Definitely better than neo's and Lakes alone. I was toasty today. We drove up to Glen Alps (a cheat, I know, but climbing up there in the soft snow would have sucked) and rode the trails coming back down. Good stuff. It's ridiculous what this bike can roll over. However, you do need to buy a real mountain bike for the summer muchacho. Fo' real.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50

However, you do need to buy a real mountain bike for the summer muchacho. Fo' real.

You guys keep trying your Jedi mind-tricks on me. I can see that I'm going to have to be vigilant about not demo-ing a full-suspension bike this summer.

Sorry again for posting my cool biking footwear on your Johnson's Pass thread.

Bikes are good

Your vigilance

is a result of knowing a full suspension rig would be way cooler. And you know this, MAN.

Butchering the thread is fine. It's a shame we didn't go ride it again before it snowed. We were super lucky with trail conditions I guess. We'll see later in the spring if it works to go all the way over. Would also like to try Lost Lake.

mtbr member
    ...a full suspension rig would be way cooler. And you know this, MAN.
    I'm afraid of what might be true. I keep hearing that I'm going to get ambushed by people with a fully bike this summer. Must...stay...strong...Must...resist...

We'll see later in the spring if it works to go all the way over. Would also like to try Lost Lake.
    I'd like to tag along next time you go. Lost Lake would be nice.

Members who have read this thread: 0