Internal gear hubs- Mtbr.com
    Beware of Doggerel

Internal gear hubs

Hey anybody run an internal hub in the cold. I've got a shimano 7speed nexus in my garage and a project in mind but I've never used the hub in the winter. It is packed w/a specific shimano grease so I assume it will gum up in the cold but I have never tried it.
    Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks
    Adam

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

frig it

this may sound silly, but it would work, put your internal hub in your frig's freezer for 8 hours and then see if the nexuswill still work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Simon says

Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    Hey anybody run an internal hub in the cold. I've got a shimano 7speed nexus in my garage and a project in mind but I've never used the hub in the winter. It is packed w/a specific shimano grease so I assume it will gum up in the cold but I have never tried it.
    Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks
    Adam
    I asked SnowCat Simon in Fairbanks the same question last year, and he knew of folks there using them with success, although it got slow in extreme cold, but still worked. Sounds like a good idea whose time has come. I built a 1x1/Sacks internal for a guy and it works well, but the hub setup is kinda funky with the Sacks/1x1. Nexus is the way to go.
    Adam, you have more stuff in your garage than have in my shop!
    Cheers, Pat

Jan 2004
    Cheers, Pat[/QUOTE]

I've probly got more stuff in my garage than both of you combined! lemme know if you need anything.

It's a long freakin way to the LBS from here!

Ken

Beware of Doggerel

Junk...

Yeah the sad thing is that most of the junk that I have, including a Montgomery Ward cruiser that I bought for $5 at a yard sale in Slingerlands NY, has moved around with me for years including a 5,000 plus mile trip across the country when I moved to Alaska. Ah the joys of pack rattery, but you can't beat the "high" one feels when after years of hoarding junk you find a use for some long suffering part. I know that I will need that old Bendex coaster brake for something or that absolutely vital box of random and mismatched cantilever brake parts, or how about those 4 forks that I have that are either too dangerous to ride or simply don't fit any bike that I currently own (I keep telling myself that I will make lamps out of them). For a few years, back in NY, I had a roommate who shared my love of bike junk, we had an area of the house, filled with cruisers, english 3 speeds, a prized chrome sears spaceliner, and random MTB parts that we lovingly reffered to as Sanford and Son.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ken
    Cheers, Pat
    I've probly got more stuff in my garage than both of you combined! lemme know if you need anything.

It's a long freakin way to the LBS from here!

Ken[/QUOTE]

Jan 2004
    The worst thing is to 'clean out the shed'; it virtually guarantees that within six months you'll want EXACTLY what you threw away for some project or other.

Ken