Impetus- Mtbr.com

Thread: Impetus

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004

Impetus

Behold, my new ride. Waiting for a Brooks B-17 and I think I'll get a shorter stem with more rise. 38.5 lbs by my bathroom scale!!

EDIT: 36 lbs and a smidge on the Bike Shop's scale. I think the Brooks, panniers and handlebar bag will add a bit more.

I'll get some carbon bottle cages for it since I'm a weight weenie.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by daveIT; 05-04-2007 at 06:47 PM.

Wood chips are stupid

my fave

The LHT is my favorate Surly. I built one of these up a couple of years ago, and all through the process all I could think was how cool the bike was. If you want to talk old school, the LHT is it. Spoke holder and built for travel. Clean

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

mtbr member

Sweet!

Congrats on the new bike, it looks great. Any trips planned? Enjoy.

Beware of Doggerel

sweet

I like those chrome fenders and racks.

I have a cross check set up for commuting with bags and whatnot, man I love that bike. Its perfect. Lately its just about all that I ride. Its rock solid dependable transportation and a hoot to ride.

What's your plan for the bike? Going on a tour, or commuting around town?

Adam
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

Caveman
    bueatiful bike Dave, damn its pretty and looks vintage in a surly sort of way.The fenders are rad. The surly front rack is humangous.

So yeah.... where are you going with this new creation?

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    The fenders are actually Planet Bike Cascadias they are "polished aluminum bonded to Superflex unbreakable all-weather polycarbonate". Basically they are Freddy Fenders that are a little wider with longer mudflaps. I have a set of nice INOX stainless steel fenders that I got off a dumpster dive town bike in Italy, but I didn't want to use those beauties on this project.

I have all kinds of ideas for tours in my head, but being in the military kinda puts the kibosh on anything real long at least for the next 10 years. I plan to get out and see Alaska this year. I'd really like to do a ride from Vancouver, BC down to Portland, OR area stopping at breweries along the way...maybe next year. I'll be here until summer 2009 unless I decide to extend for 4 more years.

Caveman
    The do the D highways:
    Demster...
    Dalton..
    Denali..

Grillin' & Chillin'

Awesome Classic Ride

That bike looks real clean. Makes me salivate just thinking about what it would look like with loaded panniers and a sleeping bag ready to hit the highway.

It definitely has some kind of mystical balance and symmetry to it's set up. I'm getting this vibe that it possibly may have some Voodoo-JuJu-Mojo going on. Whatever it is, it's got me mesmerized. Have fun!

If you're looking for an awesome, challenging, but beautiful trip out of Vancouver, try taking Highway 3 east across B.C. Highway 7 out of Vancouver takes you out of town on the north side of the Fraser River, which takes you out to Hope. There you connect up with Highway 3. In the first 5 days we climbed 6 passes. Most of the climbs were quite long. The first started just east of Hope and was nearly 40 miles to the summit. It had only a short downhill dip, otherwise it was all climbing. We continued on through Glacier National Park (Montana), Yellowstone (Wyoming) and then into Salt Lake where we grabbed the AmTrak across the desert to Reno and then rode to Yosemite to end the trip. It took us 4.5 weeks. It was the best ride that my brother and I have ever done.
    Grill Meister
    "There were never any good old days
    They are today, they are tomorrow
    "
    - Gogol Bordello

mtbr member
    Nice ride! -- now we know what bike you'll use on your Seward trip...
    "I get a buzz from being cold and wet ~ the pleasure seems to balance out the pain" - Blue, Red and Grey The Who By Numbers

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    I'll have to check out the D highways in the Milepost when I get home. The farthest north I've been so far is Talkeetna (by car)

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

LHT Sizing..

Quote Originally Posted by daveIT
    Behold, my new ride. Waiting for a Brooks B-17 and I think I'll get a shorter stem with more rise. 38.5 lbs by my bathroom scale!!

EDIT: 36 lbs and a smidge on the Bike Shop's scale. I think the Brooks, panniers and handlebar bag will add a bit more.

I'll get some carbon bottle cages for it since I'm a weight weenie.
    I was reading about the LHT and saw that you get 26" wheels 54cm frame size and under.. but 56cm and up 700cc. How do Surley's size in comparison to other ride that you ride?

I ride a Giant 54cm road and Santa Cruz so was curious about what size I might ride on the Surley's. In particular on the LHT.

Christopher

Wood chips are stupid

700c

Hey Chris,
    If you are looking for a bike to do the long ass road ride thing,get a rig with 700c wheels. As cool as the LHT is, even if you ride a 54,you need a bike that runs the big wheels. Rivendells come to mind, Very very cool!

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by crsouser
    How do Surley's size in comparison to other ride that you ride?

I ride a Giant 54cm road and Santa Cruz so was curious about what size I might ride on the Surley's. In particular on the LHT.

Christopher
    Not quite sure which other ride you are asking about, but you are welcome to ride mine sometime to see if it's the right size.

One thing I've read is that if you plan to do extended tours in less-developed countries it is hard to find 700c tires if that helps you make a decision. (Of course, you could always run something heavy duty like Marathon XRs and carry spares.)

Caveman
    Its True, 700c Tube and tires worth a damn are impossible to find.
    26" and hubs & rims with 36 spokes (important!) are easier.

that being said I still ran the 700c setup and had no problems on the last trip due to kick ass wheels built by RTR and the Marathon's. When all my tubes and my spare tire got stolen I was bummed since I knew I'd never be able to find any.

Beware of Doggerel
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearbait
    Its True, 700c Tube and tires worth a damn are impossible to find.
    26" and hubs & rims with 36 spokes (important!) are easier.

that being said I still ran the 700c setup and had no problems on the last trip due to kick ass wheels built by RTR and the Marathon's. When all my tubes and my spare tire got stolen I was bummed since I knew I'd never be able to find any.
    What? I think you knew exactly where to find a spare marathon XR. Logistically it may have been difficult but hardly impossible.

Adam
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

Caveman
    Ha haaaa ! yeah right, thanks again for that...

Members who have read this thread: 0