Iditarod Trail Ride- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Iditarod Trail Ride

The Queen had a brilliant idea: Now that winter has arrived, why don't we do a long ride on the Iditarod Trail from Knik to??
    It's closer than Denali Hwy, and we can keep closer tabs on the weather/snow/blizzard conditions without the long drive. I'm still up for the Denali ride, but the Knik ride may come first until winter settles in for good. Any takers?
    Pat Irwin

Jan 2004

Giving up on the King??

"patirwin]"The Queen had a brilliant idea:"

Good idear. We finally had some cold weather to firm things up (minus 27 yesterday, today it's 15 above and calling for more snow. Yoicks.

Ken

Beware of Doggerel

sounds grrreat

"The Queen had a brilliant idea:"

Wow thats some thinkin' sounds good to me. Maybe we could all do the ride in late Feb. and go to McGrath...oh wait.. seriously that sounds real good and makes a whole lot of sense.

Also when you say "The Queen" I assume you mean our own Queen Bee, ...or is there something you need to tell us about Leo, I know things can get strange in that shop this time of year...

Adam

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I have another....

name for Leonard, but yes, I was referring to QBee. I have some folks who may want to ski it also, so we could just have a merry band of misfits out there having a grand ol' time.
    We can go Skwentna and back, about 180 miles, or we can go to Luce's and partake of his hottub, or.......
    This weekend is out, but the next is possible. Adam, how's your schedule look?
    I'll see if Leo the Lion, I mean leonard, wants to join. A little comic relief is always nice.
    Anyone else????
    pat

Jan 2004
    Rode the Denali Hwy to Susitna Ribber today (on a snow go); trail is good to Brushkana, okay to Adventures, variable to the Bridge, and nonexistent beyond.

Your faithful scout,

Ken

mtbr member

... and if we just ... An overnighter!!!

I would happily miss a couple of Christmas parties to ride out to Flathorn or beyond. The weekend of the 18th would be a possibility--will check with the drones first.
    Last edited by Queen Bee; 12-08-2004 at 09:11 AM.

Caveman
    hummm.. Company christmas party on the 18th

Beware of Doggerel
    Next weekend, the 18th should work for me.

Adam

Wood chips are stupid

Sounds good

A Iditarod ride sounds great. Pat and I slept together at Dot Lake this summer

Leo

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Leo, you promised....

to keep it between us.
    The 18th sounds good to me too. Let's shoot for Flathorn and a fun overnighter, with the option to go further if the trail is nice. If QBee and the drones can make it then, let's plan it.
    Later, P

mtbr member

Okay, we're on

Quote Originally Posted by patirwin
    to keep it between us.
    The 18th sounds good to me too. Let's shoot for Flathorn and a fun overnighter, with the option to go further if the trail is nice. If QBee and the drones can make it then, let's plan it.
    Later, P

For the 18thand 19th. Consider this a shake-down ride for the Susitna or the Ultrasport (for those of you who haven't done it before), that is, bring your bivvy, warm sleeping bag, stove, provisions. etc... I suggest that we meet at 10:00 a.m. But where??? Pat, do you have a suggestion? I'd just as soon skip riding the lake.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Knik Lake

I usually start at Knik Lake and go stright out the Iditarod Trail to Flathorn, about 30 miles. Or as far as we want to go.
    For those in the Su100, you may rather ride from the new start near south Big lake, but I don't know where it is. Knik is easy to get to, shorter drive, food/beer at the end, etc. The trail is narrow here and should be packed down good. Fewer snowgos and more mushers.
    I was thinking camp at the end of the lake in that small stand of trees, or up on the hill off the lake if it's brutally cold, but that would be good training for those going to McGrath and beyond. We could have a camp fire and marshmellows, and all the fun stuff we miss when racing. I may even pull a Pat Norwil and tote along a bucket of KFC.
    Pat

mtbr member

Oh Goodie! A Campout!

10:00 a.m. Saturday the 18th, meet at the Knik Lake Bar. Anyone interested please indicate on this forum so I'll know how many beers I need to haul.

Wood chips are stupid

bzzzzzzzzz

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Bee
    10:00 a.m. Saturday the 18th, meet at the Knik Lake Bar. Anyone interested please indicate on this forum so I'll know how many beers I need to haul.
    Buzzzzzz zzzzzz zzzzz buz buz buzzzz zzz buz zzzzz.

Leo

Beware of Doggerel

Okay

10 am Knik lake. I'll see ya'll there.

Adam

Caveman

count me in

Screw the Christmas party(s)...
    QBee thanks for bringing the beer.

Pat, can you bring those prototype poggies that randy dropped off? My hack sewing project isnt done yet.

Adam - want to carpool? I'll see if Brij is in or not.
    Eric

Beware of Doggerel

Sure thing

Sounds good. I have a roof rack that can hold three bikes, but it's a bit tight.

Oh and by the way based on my experience there is no need to bring beer for the this trail. Last year on the Susitna 100 I found a full and unopened bottle of Yukon Jack and an unopened can of Fosters beer on the side of the trail.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Bearbait
    Screw the Christmas party(s)...
    QBee thanks for bringing the beer.

Pat, can you bring those prototype poggies that randy dropped off? My hack sewing project isnt done yet.

Adam - want to carpool? I'll see if Brij is in or not.
    Eric

Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen Bee
    For the 18thand 19th. Consider this a shake-down ride for the Susitna or the Ultrasport (for those of you who haven't done it before), that is, bring your bivvy, warm sleeping bag, stove, provisions. etc... I suggest that we meet at 10:00 a.m. But where??? Pat, do you have a suggestion? I'd just as soon skip riding the lake.
    Brooks and I rode on the Iditarod Trail on Tuesday 12/14 starting from the Aurora Dog Mushers shed. There was an awesome base trail underneath 3" to 4" of fresh snow. We made first tracks most of the day. Very fun.

A musher told us that the trail is only broken out to the Nome sign so far. This is typical for December. You may want to reassess your plan, Flathorn would require a LOT of pushing.

Mike

FatBike Fiend

Rode from Knik Lake last weekend

Quote Originally Posted by mikeem
    Brooks and I rode on the Iditarod Trail on Tuesday 12/14 starting from the Aurora Dog Mushers shed. There was an awesome base trail underneath 3" to 4" of fresh snow. We made first tracks most of the day. Very fun.

A musher told us that the trail is only broken out to the Nome sign so far. This is typical for December. You may want to reassess your plan, Flathorn would require a LOT of pushing.

Mike
    Bill and Kathi Merchant and myself rode out from Knik Lake last saturday and camped near the Su 100 Little Su checkpoint. The trail was very hardpacked and fast until the Burma road area, then had been groomed for mushing which stirred up the crust and it was much softer but mostly ridable but much slower. Since then got about 6 inches of new snow on Tuesday so it's anyone's guess about the trail this weekend. My guess is soft trail and warm but probably ridable.May try to get out there on Saturday as well so maybe see ya out there.

Mark