Iditarod Trail Invitational 2011- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Iditarod Trail Invitational 2011

We got quite the bike race going on here!- Comments, rumors...

mtbr member
    getting more coverage in the local media of friggin' fashion week in Paris- discuss...

No, that's not phonetic
    I've been reading the trail updates on http://www.alaskaultrasport.com/latest_news.html. I guess I'm not sure who would have better or more inside info than Kathi.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

spotty comm

After Finger lake communication is spotty at best and non-existant after Puntilla until you reach Nikolai, 50 miles from the finish. That always makes for a great race as spectators must wait for a checkpoint to call in, and racers often know little of what's happening on the trail behind them. I once led the race all the way from Skwentna and I had no idea how close the racers were behind me, which led to pushing myself more than I normally would in a race. It's nerve wracking when second place may be 10 minutes behind or 10 hours; can I take a quick nap or push myself to the brink and hope I make it to McGrath. Pete knows what he's doing but if he doesn't know where the other racers are...

It's one of the things that makes this race so unique.

Kathi is doing a great job of keeping us informed considering what little info she has to work with. Thanks Kathi!

Be patient and we'll know what's happening soon enough

Pat

mtbr member
    Wow, Louise Kobin is flying!

New women's record?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I wonder...

I wonder if Pete realizes Bill is only an hour behind him? Will Pete take a quick nap in Nikolai? Will Bill sneak by him as he sleeps? Can Bill keep up this crazy hard pace these folks are riding? Will Jeff put the hammer down and surprise us all?

God I love this race!

P

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by patirwin
    After Finger lake communication is spotty at best and non-existant after Puntilla until you reach Nikolai, 50 miles from the finish. That always makes for a great race as spectators must wait for a checkpoint to call in, and racers often know little of what's happening on the trail behind them. I once led the race all the way from Skwentna and I had no idea how close the racers were behind me, which led to pushing myself more than I normally would in a race. It's nerve wracking when second place may be 10 minutes behind or 10 hours; can I take a quick nap or push myself to the brink and hope I make it to McGrath. Pete knows what he's doing but if he doesn't know where the other racers are...

It's one of the things that makes this race so unique.

Kathi is doing a great job of keeping us informed considering what little info she has to work with. Thanks Kathi!

Be patient and we'll know what's happening soon enough

Pat
    Well said, thanks Pat. That is so true.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Go Pete Go!

Pete is putting on a clinic on how to hammer this race...Again. Way to go Pete!

Kathi, you're very welcome and I repeat my thanks for keeping us informed as well as you can. And a huge thanks to you and Bill for keeping this race alive and so well organized. I hope folks appreciate the logistical hurdles you clear just to have that walltent in Rohn, much less all the other details spread out for 350+ miles.

Thanks again

P

Beware of Doggerel
    Pete is absolutely amazing. I haven't been this excited about cycling in a while. I am on the edge of my seat.

Kathi your updates are amazing. Given the logistics it is really impressive that you are able to get all this info and relate it to us so quickly. It feels like a play by play. Also between updates on the ultrasport website, here and facebook, I don't know how you find the time. Thank you for your efforts and time. As a "couch racer" I really appreciate all you are doing.

Adam
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

mtbr member
    Jeff is 2nd into Nikolai, it might be close finish!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

exciting!

Let's see....Pete has a 2 hr jump on Jeff after a 2 hr rest in Nikolai but he doesn't know where Jeff is. Pete doesn't know whether Jeff got into Nikolai 2 minutes after Pete left, or 2 hours. He also doesn't know where Bill is, maybe hot on his trail. Unless some snowmachiners are passing along trail info, Pete really has no choice but to hammer all the way to the finish in McGrath. Can he sustain it? I think he can but Jeff may think not....

Boy, what an exciting finish. We won't know who won until somebody makes contact with McGrath

pat

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    very exciting, they are cruising! jeff made up a little time on pete last year from nickolai to mcgrath, he sure knows how to hammer it but pete's not really human ... and he's riding home!

mtbr member
    ...yeah, he can really "smell the barn"...

on another note-Billy Koitzsch scratched due knee pain...Word on the street is he had to reposition a cleat after he stripped out the screw plate thingy a couple days pre race and couldn't dial the positioning...hence sore knees...he swapped boots and is back in-flying to Skwentna as we speak- ...not as a racer, but as a solo, unaffiliated rider on his way to Nome.

Keep the rubber-side down Billy!
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Go Billy Go!

That's the spirit Billy. Here's to good trail all the way!

Pat

mtbr member
    For sure! I know Billy got a few friends here so I thought I'd post...besides, folks like TSC aren't gonna find this on ITI's site ( NO OFFENSE Kathi! )

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    A fresh update from Facebook:

"Greg Matyas arrives in third place into Nikolai at 3:25 pm. He plans to eat and head back out on the trail. Wow, what a surprise. Jay P must have taken a nap along the way somewhere and Bill Fleming as well. We expect to hear about them soon from Nikolai as well. No Sat Phone call from Rohn yet."

GO GREG GO!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Go Pete!

I just remembered that Pete almost didn't even start. His flighs were cancelled and delayed. He arrived in ANC on Saturday.

Wait, wait wait, hear nothing yet.
    No news from Rohn either.

Rob must be superbusy in Rohn. He would call otherwise from the Sat Phone.

Caveman
    this is totally gripping! Greg is such a sandbagger! man those cortisone shots and edible panties must be doing the trick!
    Unbelievable. we have some serious talent and suffer lovers on hand here.

mtbr member
    Man such an amazing group out on the trail- pretty cool to see Curiak jump out there, Yair Kellner, BillyK back out at it...just an awesome year!!
    I really liked the Medred article on Alaska Dispatch, and caught him for a short time on Talk of Alaska radio from the trail.

Caveman
    go Greg.. 10 min turnaround at Nikolai. That's really impressive given the long haul across the burn. I'm starting to think he wants to beat Bill. ? ha ha..

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    From Facebook:

"Pete wins the race in 3 days 6 hours 30 min. This is Pete's 5th win!! Congratulations Pete! Amazing finish!"

CONGRATS PETE!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Go Pete Go!

Congrats! Pete, that was a heck of a ride.

And congrats to everyone out there this year. Impressive!

Pat

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Billy, glad to hear you're back on the trail, good luck.
    Last edited by B Cycle N; 03-02-2011 at 11:46 PM.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    New Facebook Update!

"Greg Matyas finishes in third place early this AM in 3 days 12 hours and 20 minutes. Congratulations Greg!"

Congrats Greg, Awesome job!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Congrats to Pete, Jeff and Greg!! Wow, fast times!! ... It's like Team Fatback!

No, that's not phonetic
    Freaking fast. I thought this was a human-powered race. These people are obviously not human.

Beware of Doggerel
    Yeah those times are fast. All three day finishes, heck it looks like those guys were just getting warmed up.

Adam
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Fresh FBU!

"Louise Kobin arrives in McGrath at 12:20 PM. A new woman's record in the 350 mile race: 3 days 22 hours 20 minutes. Congrats Lou! You are amazing!
    4th place overall."

Congrats on another new record Louise!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Go Lou Go!

I hope you didn't slow down so Eric could keep up.

Congrats! on the new record. Impressive!

Pat

No, that's not phonetic
    You said it, holmes. I don't think I could road tour 350 miles in 3 days (even with a tail wind), much less ride a fatty over the Alaska Range with a snotcicle down to my chin for crying out loud. Sheesh.

Color me impressed.

Wait, that's not all... some übermensche intend to continue...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    It'll be interesting to watch, I see Sean had both skis and snow shoes on his bike. I assume he intends to break trail after the Y split after Ophir instead of waiting for trail breakers? I believe there is Dons Cabin before the ghost town Iditarod and another new safety cabin between Iditarod and Shageluk this year. Good luck to all those going on!! Hope the weather gods keep it safe. The coast is perfect right now, no wind, hard trail and good temps.

mtbr member
    So what's the dirt on the DQ'd skiers?

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by damnitman
    So what's the dirt on the DQ'd skiers?
    They're filthy, stinking, integrity-lacking cheaters. When confronted with their transgressions (by myself and others) they tried to lie their way out of it, changed their stories, tried to play the "I don't speak the language' card, etc...

Good riddance, don't let the door hit ya in the ass...

MC

Bill M

DQ'd Skiers

They spent the night uninvited in Luce's sauna. They aren't only DQ'd but banned for life! My bad. I am supposed to vet for character as well as qualifications. Missed on that one. Just got back home at 2:00 am this morning. It's been a good race so far with some amazing athletes posting some fantastic times. Part of that is because of the amazing job our lead trailbreaker Rob Kehrer ( He is also our Rohn checker) did leading us over Rainy in what was at times a 0/0 ground blizzard to get the trail in. OE/ Kevin from Girdwood was out there with us sacrificing vacation time to help make the trail happen, Thanks to all the volunteers, and racers for another great race on the Iditarod Trail. Thanks to my wife Kathi for doing the work of a team all alone to keep folks informed while I was out on the Trail having fun. Thanks to all of you who are keeping up and supporting the racers! Here's to good trails and tailwinds to the racers still out there.
    Bill M
    ps. We do plan to post all Billy's in and out times and support him on his journey to Nome as an unofficial racer after his restart so you can keep up with him on our site.

Fatback

Thanks Bill and Kathy

Just wanted to say thanks to Bill and Kathy for putting on such a wonderful and unique event. My perspective on winter racing is forever changed. What a pleasure to finish up and hang out at Peter and Tracy's, greeting other racers and swapping stories. I plan to post a bit of mine here soon. Congrats to Pete for another fine win, way to go brother. And congrats to Jeff for being so damned close for the second year in a row, and to Lou Kobin-you are a true [email protected] Congrats to all who finished the race.
    I was bummed to hear Sean Grady got frostbite on his feet and stopped in McGrath. He was ready for Nome. We're hoping for a full recovery.
    And last, thanks to all of you who followed the race offering your support. We could feel it on the trail.
    Speedway Cycles owner http://fatbackbikes.com

Alaska Turner Mafia

Congratulations Greg!

Way to go man. After all the body pains you've had you pulled off an amazing comeback. High fives to ya.

I think Sean must be doing okay as I saw him riding yesterday in the Baseball Boogie area with Darcy and another couple. They were zipping along, so the frostbite must be healing.

Best of luck to those heading on to Nome, way to show some determination Billy. I'll be checking in. It was damn exciting watching the McGrath race unfold, would have loved to be out there and snap some photos.

Congratulations to all of you, takes lots of guts just to line up at the start I'm sure.

Rando
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

is buachail foighneach me
    Thanks, Bill, Kathi, Rob, OE and all the checkpoint hosts and other racers. I had a blast out there.

The frostbite is minor, just a small black spot on the tips of two of my toes. Happened about 20-30 miles outside of Rohn, with temperatures at or below -40('Inedible' on the fig newton scale). It made me realize that my footware is not up to snuff and I didn't want to head out into possibly colder temps in more remote country and put myself at more serious risk.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thank you Sean

Thanks for being smart enough to know when to keep going and when to pack it in and try another day. The trail ain't goin' anywhere. There's no 'minor frostbite' on the Iditarod Trail to Nome!

And thanks to Bill and Kathi and Rob and all the folks who made this race possible, the racers who were incredible, as well as the folks on this forum. You all made this another exciting winter race!

Pat

mtbr member

Still at it...

Bunch of folks still northbound for a while...awesome.
    Can't wait to see what Mr Curiak creates from all this...link here for those unaware.
    http://lacemine29.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by FrankM
    Bunch of folks still northbound for a while...awesome.
    Can't wait to see what Mr Curiak creates from all this...link here for those unaware.
    http://lacemine29.blogspot.com/
    Hate to say it, but at best I'll have a short, mediocre slideshow when all is said and done.

I got sick on the day the race started, and fought with the flu all the way until it kicked my ass--just below Rainy Pass. Spent 2+ days shivering in my sleeping bag there until an old guy with a wild grin showed up on his snowmachine and dragged me back down to Puntilla.

Back home in CO, now. Still feverish and the wife thinks I have pneumonia, bronchitis, and a sinus infection. I just want the fever to go away--the rest seems trivial. Thus, there isn't going to be any film--I simply didn't get far enough nor take enough pics/vid to make anything. And the shots I *did* get are pretty uninspired.

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

MC

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Sorry to hear mike, hope you feel better!

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    ...sometimes you're the bug...
    That's a huge bummer. Very sorry to hear it (partly out of genuine sympathy and partly out of selfish disappointment that I don't get to see another spectacular MC Documentary Special this year ).

Get well soon.

P and A

Bill M

Out of Grayling

Jay, Tracy and Aidan are all out of Grayling this morning. Yesterday Jay told me from Shagaluk that they had probably not pushed their bikes more than 15 miles since they started. Tim Hewitt called in from Anvik this morning just 18 miles behind the bikers. He said something about if someone stopped and offered him a bike?????? Tim on a bike----- now that might make some folks nervous.He jumped on a bike this year while he was recovering from a running injury and finished well in The 508. Billy called in from Shagaluk around noon and said he was having fun and feeling good. He must be having fun because he told Kathi to save him a spot in next years Nome race.

Caveman
    Great to hear Billy is having a good time. thanks for posting some details Bill.

Bill M

Bikers head over the Portage towards the coast

Jay, Tracy and Aidan have left Kaltag headed to the coast. They have finally had to push their bikes a bit. Aidans girlfriend said he had to push for 7 hours out of Grayling. Don't know who these guys paid to get such super trails but I plan to find out before I head to Nome again!! I expect to hear from Tim Hewitt some time this evening when he arrives in Kaltag.

No, that's not phonetic
    Love the updates. Thank you, sir.

Bill M

Pierre's out of Rohn

Just got back from Rohn picking up our checkpoint camp. A snowmachiner camped there said a Frenchman and a couple of hippies had left Rohn this morning on bikes headed for Nikolai. I expect that must be Pierre Oster and company. Jay and Tracy are in and out of Unalakleet this morning. They had passed Aidan Harding in old Old Woman cabin. Hope Aidan remembered to leave a snack for the ghost of the Old Woman. Tim Hewitt arrived in Kaltag this morning after fighting wind on the Yukon that the bikers missed completely.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    It'll be interesting to see if the bikers will go through shaktoolik to the shelter cabin 15 miles out or stop in Shak. The wind is supposed to pick up a little bit tonight so it may be a stiff headwind across the sound, otherwise trails are perfect. forecast also continues to look great.

Bill M

The Race is On

Jay and Aidan left Shaktoolik around 5 am with Tracy out behind them just after 6:am. Light wind around 15mph and reportedly good trails for their trip across the ice. Them boys better pace themselves or Tracy might just catch them napping and greet them when they ride under the Burled Arch.

Interesting that they're all so close right now, this late in the race. Seems like Aidan is resting longer and moving a little quicker between checkpoints. Jay's broken pedal wing shouldn't affect him too much. The southern route record is almost certainly getting broken at this point, and Tracey is going to be the first woman to complete the southern route, Aidan the first Nome singlespeeder.

I've been beating the drum over at bikepacking.net. It's kinda weird how little attention the race get's...

Bill M

Out of Elim

Aidan Harding checked in and out of Elim today at 5:00 pm. Jay was not too far behind calling in at 8:45. Tracy called from Koyuk at 3:30. While I was typing this Tim Hewitt called from Unalakleet at 10:00pm. He is on pace to break the southern route foot record if not the overall record set last year by Tom Jarding. Super race for all these guys and girl!
    Side note--- Pierre and company showed up unannounced at the Petruska's this evening in Nikolai where a very tired and sick Stephanie who is home alone and just got her bedroom back after taking care of 38 racers welcomed them in anyway. Shame on you guys for not giving her a little warning.They planned to head out in the morning.

Bill M

Home Stretch

Jay called me from Jack and Joanna's house in White Mountain at 9:15 AM. He was going through his drop, eating and planned to head straight out on the final run to Nome. He hadn't seen Aidan or his tracks so assumes he passed him at Golovin. He solved his pedal problem by carving a notch in his boot sole and said it's no longer a problem.

Damn this is exciting! Can't wait to see where/when Aidan pops up next, or who get's to the arch first....

Bill M

The Chase is On

Aidan called in from Jack and Joanna's at 10:00 am. He had gotten 6 hours good sleep, was sounding good and ready for the 70 sprint to Nome. Over 900 miles of racing and a TT to the finish. Tracy called from Elim and planned to head out around 10:00 am. PNome is supposed to head out later on a machine to check on things and hopefully can update us on the guys whereabouts later today. Thanks in advance Phil and congrats on the new baby!!!!

Caveman
    Good to hear Bjorn, Kim and the Frenchman are doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    I've been beating the drum over at bikepacking.net. It's kinda weird how little attention the race get's...
    I used to wonder about that, what with the seemingly large amounts of interest in multi-day mtb racing. I think the ITI is just a bit outside the realm of the conceivable for most racers or racer wannabes these days. Talk to an ITI rookie at the Knik Bar sometime to see what I mean: Even though there are heaps and hordes of pics and writeups on the 'net from this event, the average rookie has read all of them and still has NO CONCEPT of what they're about to experience.

Apparently that intimidates folks a bit.

That, and the lack of cell coverage for racers to call with up to the minute reports on their saddle sores and food allergies makes it a lot less appealing to follow...

Should have a winner in a few hours here, and here's hoping Hewitt is staying atop his game and zeroing in on the overall foot record. He's earned it by god...

MC

Beware of Doggerel
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill M
    Aidan called in from Jack and Joanna's at 10:00 am. He had gotten 6 hours good sleep, was sounding good and ready for the 70 sprint to Nome. Over 900 miles of racing and a TT to the finish. Tracy called from Elim and planned to head out around 10:00 am. PNome is supposed to head out later on a machine to check on things and hopefully can update us on the guys whereabouts later today. Thanks in advance Phil and congrats on the new baby!!!!
    Awesome, one of the (many) amazing things about this race is how things work out toward the end. Hope everyone continues to have good trail for that last push to Nome.

I used to wonder about that, what with the seemingly large amounts of interest in multi-day mtb racing. I think the ITI is just a bit outside the realm of the conceivable for most racers or racer wannabes these days. Talk to an ITI rookie at the Knik Bar sometime to see what I mean: Even though there are heaps and hordes of pics and writeups on the 'net from this event, the average rookie has read all of them and still has NO CONCEPT of what they're about to experience.

Apparently that intimidates folks a bit.

That, and the lack of cell coverage for racers to call with up to the minute reports on their saddle sores and food allergies makes it a lot less appealing to follow...

Should have a winner in a few hours here, and here's hoping Hewitt is staying atop his game and zeroing in on the overall foot record. He's earned it by god...

MC

With the decreasing cost, size and weight of sat phones these days, we'll be texting from the pass before you know it.

Bill M

Think We have a winner just after 9:00 PM

Just saw a bike come into Nome on the web cam. I expect it was Jay but waiting for a call to confirm.

With the decreasing cost, size and weight of sat phones these days, we'll be texting from the pass before you know it.
    Jasper and Sharon (at Rohn and Puntilla, respectively) have been texting back and forth for years...

Bill M

We have a Winner

Jay Petervary reached the Burled Arch at 9:00 PM last night to win the 2011 race to Nome. Jay set a new southern route record. Aidan Harding finished 2nd at 12:20 PM becoming the first single speeder to finish to Nome. Way to go you guys awesome performance. Tracy called at 11:30 PM from White Mountain planning to sleep well and head for Nome this morning. Billy arrived in Shaktoolik around midnight last night.

Bill M

Medred's Tweets

Jasper and Sharon (at Rohn and Puntilla, respectively) have been texting back and forth for years...
    Hell when Craig and I rode out of Rohn last year I had to stop in a mini ground blizzard while he Tweeted from Rainy Pass via sat phone!

Bill M

Billy out of Shaktoolik

Jay Petervary reached the Burled Arch at 9:00 PM last night to win the 2011 race to Nome. Jay set a new southern route record. Aidan Harding finished 2nd at 12:20 PM becoming the first single speeder to finish to Nome. Way to go you guys awesome performance. Tracy called at 11:30 PM from White Mountain planning to sleep well and head for Nome this morning. Billy arrived in Shaktoolik around midnight last night.
    Just a quick update---- Billy was out of Shaktoolik headed for Koyuk at 10:00 AM after waiting out a windstorm on the Ice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bjorn, Kim, Pierre

Just to fill you folks in, Bjorn Olson and his partner Kim (the hippies) are making a documentary on the Donlin Mine/gas line proposal along the Iditarod Trail. They asked Pierre (hippie Frenchman) to join them since he bailed on the race. Their plan is to go down river from McGrath on bike or snowshoe and eventually to Bethel via Crooked Creek and the Donlan Mine. It's a good idea and I look forward to hearing what folks have to say about it. They started by interviewing mushers at the Iditarod start and hope to continue asking about it all the way to Bethel.

Should be interesting

I haven't heard from them but will pass on any info I get

Pat

Breaking trail on a river sounds scary... Even a river as big as the Kusko.

Bill M
    Just to fill you folks in, Bjorn Olson and his partner Kim (the hippies) are making a documentary on the Donlin Mine/gas line proposal along the Iditarod Trail. They asked Pierre (hippie Frenchman) to join them since he bailed on the race. Their plan is to go down river from McGrath on bike or snowshoe and eventually to Bethel via Crooked Creek and the Donlan Mine. It's a good idea and I look forward to hearing what folks have to say about it. They started by interviewing mushers at the Iditarod start and hope to continue asking about it all the way to Bethel.

Should be interesting

Pat
    Hey Pat I am curious what they find out about the pipeline too. I flew in drops for all of them. Stephanie said when they left Nikolai they planned to hang out in McGrath for a while and figure out what they were going to do. Just thought it was bad form to drop in unannounced when she was worn out from all the racers and sick. Maybe I am a bit touchy about that but you know the Petruskas are like my second family.

Bill M

Tracy on the Homestretch

Just got a call from Tracy Petervary from Safety Roadhouse at 6:10 pm. She must have been zipping right along and said she should be in Nome within 3 hours despite having a leaky tire she figures to have to pump up a couple of times before she gets there. Go Tracy!!!!!

No, that's not phonetic
    Soooo badazz. Freaks, all the finishers!

Bill M

Out of Koyuk

Billy stopped just long enough in Koyuk to dry clthes and is headed for Elim

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I Agree

Bill,

I agree the hippies should not drop in unannounced when they could have given folks a heads up before they left. Hopefully they're being good...

I was not a part of their planning but wish them all luck anyway. I'll pass on any info I get.

As for the ITI what a race it's been! And thanks to Aiden I don't have to think about SSing to Nome anymore. Thanks Aiden and Congrats! And a Big Congrats! to Jay and Tracy and Billy and Tim and....Well done folks!

Pat

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    fantastic year for Ultrasport.The trail helped but the athletes set the bar very high this year in all disaplines.Whatever Tim Hewitt is on i want a life time supply of it.

Bill M

Tracy finishes in Nome

Tracy finished in Nome last night at 9:30 adst 8:30 on the race clock becoming the first women to finish both the Northern and Southern routes . Tim Hewitt called from Elim at 11:45.

Quote Originally Posted by carlhutch
    .......Whatever Tim Hewitt is on i want a life time supply of it.

At this point I would imagine he's on blisters, trench foot and an ingrown toenail or two...

The trail definitely played a huge part in all of the results this and every year. That's one of the things I love about this race is that it's been a completely different trail every year that I've done it, despite following more or less the exact same route.

3 finishers, 3 records/2 precedents set. Tim's likely going to make it 4 records, and Jerym 5. A pretty historic year for the trail, the racers and the race.

...... Tim Hewitt called from Elim at 11:45.

Can Tim cover 120+ miles in 2d 4hrs at this point in the race??

Bill M

Out of Elim

Billy is in and out of Elim. He expects to be in Golovin by 11:00 tonight and Erica said he plans to be in Nome by sometime tomorrow for her birthday. Tim called as I was posting this and he got into White Mountain at 6:30 and is going to eat some crab and musk ox with Jack and Joanna and head out to Nome. Holy **** that guy is amazing!!!!!!!!!

Bill M

In McGrath

Should be interesting

Pat
    Pierre and company are at Peters with a fever and throwing up. I hope they don't get Peter and Tracy sick. Pierre is bagging it and heading back to Anchorage.

Can Tim cover 120+ miles in 2d 4hrs at this point in the race??
    I don't know if he's sustained any injuries out there this year, but *normally* he could.

When we went out to find him last year he was on the sea ice a few miles shy of Nome, *running* a solid pace like he was just finishing up a post-work workout.

MC

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I don't know if he's sustained any injuries out there this year, but *normally* he could.

When we went out to find him last year he was on the sea ice a few miles shy of Nome, *running* a solid pace like he was just finishing up a post-work workout.

MC
    He also hurt his foot last year back in Rainy Pass and he was still running... Tim's also finished one year with a leg stress fracture where he had to crawl all the uphills from Unalakleet to Nome... I think Tim's version of pain is much different than mine!

mtbr member
    From a couple FB posts about noon...Billy made it to Golovin late last night. He just called an hour ago & is in White Mountain. A storm's brewing--so he is heading out soon!

Billy Koitzsch arrived in White Mtn. at 10:33 am and left at 11:22 am, after a ...quick breakfast. He was in fine spirits and was enjoying the ride...GO BILLY! (he expects to be into Nome around 1 am)

Bill M

Nome soon

Pnome just posted 10 minutes ago on facebook that Tim is just 3 miles from Nome. Barring a major disater he is on his way to breaking his own southern route record and setting a new foot course record with his 6th finish to Nome. This guy defies description with words.

Bill M

Billy's in Nome

Billy made it to Nome at 3:30 am!! Way to go Billy! It is an unoficial race finish because of his scratch and restart but that doesn't make it any less of an accomplishment. Way to come back and get it done!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Congratulations to all that have made it to Nome so far. Sounds like an amazing trail this year until the end. That just leaves Jerym out there on foot?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Wow!!!

Wow, what a year it's been for the race. Records broken, records set, and Tim Hewitt, on foot and nearly as fast as the bikes. Wow is all I can say....

Thanks Bill and Kathi for once again putting on the worlds greatest race and for keeping us so well informed inspite of all the logistical challenges.

One more racer to finish and you can put this year in the books. Congrats!

Pat

Bill M

Great Year

Wow, what a year it's been for the race. Records broken, records set, and Tim Hewitt, on foot and nearly as fast as the bikes. Wow is all I can say....

Thanks Bill and Kathi for once again putting on the worlds greatest race and for keeping us so well informed inspite of all the logistical challenges.

One more racer to finish and you can put this year in the books. Congrats!

Pat
    Thanks for all the kind words!!! It has been a great race this year, great conditions and amazing performances by a super group of athletes. Kathi and I consider it an honor to be able to facilitate this race which belongs to all the veteran racers that come back again and again. One last kid on the Trail and when he gets in my blood pressure will go back down to normal but I doubt my hair that keeps falling out will come back.

Bill M

It's Finished

Today at 2:00 pm on the race clock (not AKDST) Jerym Brunton reached the Burled Arch to bring to a close the 2011 Iditarod Trail Invitational with his 27 day finish to Nome on foot. Congratulations Jerym!!!!
    Thanks to all the great athletes, volunteers and fans who made this year's race a success!
    April 1st begins registration for veteran McGrath and Nome finishers for the 2012 race. Registration for rookies begins on April 8th.
    I really look forward to seeing from everyone on the Trail next year.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Well Done

Congrats! Bill and Kathi on another great race. Well done!

Pat

Bill M

All the Kids Home

Congrats! Bill and Kathi on another great race. Well done!

Pat
    Thanks Pat. As much as I look forward to the race every year its good to have all the kids home.

Members who have read this thread: 1