Iditarod Pipeline- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Iditarod Pipeline

The Iditarod Trail is one of 19 federally recognized 'National Historic Trails'. Very few in Alaska seem to mind that it has been co-opted by foreign, multi-national mining companies, Nova and Barrick Gold to be used as a pipeline corridor. Sadly we are loosing our heritage, at an alarming rate here in Alaska.

Donlin Gold files for right of way to build $1 billion gas line | State News | ADN.com

Here is a link to the public notice: Notice of Pipeline Right-of-Way Lease Application: Donlin Gold LLC - Alaska Online Public Notices. Objections are due by July 14.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Iditarod Pipeline-screen-shot-2014-05-18-11.56.43-am.jpg  

Last edited by bjornolson; 05-18-2014 at 02:12 PM.
    Mjölnir of Bjørn dot com is my active website.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    This is the letter i just submitted to the State Pipeline Coordinator ([email protected]):

Bjørn Olson
    PO Box 237
    Homer, AK 99603
    [email protected]

To whom it May Concern,

My name is Bjørn Olson. I am a lifelong Alaskan, currently residing in Homer. I am a year-round adventurer, wilderness guide, photographer and filmmaker. My profession and livelihood are based around Alaska’s pristine wilderness.

In my 20+ years of back-country guiding, I have found that across cultural, economic and party lines, people from outside Alaska come to this great state to witness raw, unspoiled wilderness – the kind that has been squeezed out, in much of the lower 48 states.

There are currently 19 federally recognized ‘historic trails’ and Alaska’s Iditarod Trail is one of them. I personally take great offense to Donlin Gold’s proposed natural gas pipeline running through and over this national treasure. My reaction to this proposal is what I would imagine others would have if a LNG pipeline were proposed over the Appalachian Trail.

Alaska has not only remarkable wilderness but also an identity associated to the land. National Geographic, Discovery and other media adore our state for our heritage and we owe it to future generations to preserve it.

Hunting, fishing, wilderness trekking, kayaking, rafting, dog sledding, and bird watching are a few of the industries that can survive in perpetuity – providing both livelihood and cultural identity.

If we allow this kind of development over our national treasures, we will loose prestige in the eyes of many from outside of Alaska and our stature will decline accordingly.

Please reconsider Donlin Gold’s natural gas proposal, along our most iconic and emblematic trail.

Thank you

-Bjørn Olson

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the heads up, Bjorn, as well as your letter. Add my name to it if possible.
    The Iditarod Trail will never be quite the same...

Pat

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Pat- I have already sent my letter in but I strongly encourage any and everyone who loves the Iditarod Trail to send in a quick letter. The State Pipeline Coordinator will accept comments until July 14th. Speak up and be heard. If the office received 50 or 100 letters they really would take notice.

If anyone wants, I can create some talking points and plagiarizing my letter is absolutely acceptable.

This is the email address to pipeline coordinator office: [email protected]