Iditarod Invitational Peter Basinger- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Iditarod Invitational Peter Basinger

Peter just arrived into Nome at 9:00 tonight - what an amazing trip!!! Conratulations.

Jul 2006
    Congratulations Pete what an awesome job.

Feb 2007

50 hours of insanity...

unbelievable final push Pete!! congratulations.

if my math is correct he rode the last 220 miles in just under 50 hours! a few things to put that into perspective: that is under the pace needed to break the course record.... the course record to McGrath that is! This pace over the course of the race to Nome would come out to about 10 days. And perhaps most telling: it took Lance Mackey 45 hours to complete this same stretch. this would be an impressive push if completely fresh, but after 2+ weeks on the trail this just doesn't seem possible. Maybe my math is wrong. it's making my head spin just thinking about it.

is buachail foighneach me
    KICK A$S job pete!

wait, does this mean jill wins the beer or me?

is buachail foighneach me
    actually, his finishing time was 6:30pm!!! so jill wins the beer. way to go jill!

I'm from Utah
    Congrats Pete and Carl on taking the freak show to Nome. Geoff and I listened to a clip from Lance Mackey's brother after Pete (presumably Pete) ran into him and directed him through Nome. He sounded as amused by the fact he was being given directions by "a bicycler" in the middle of nowhere as he was about finishing the sled dog race.

I don't even understand how you guys do it, but amazing job.

Dec 2007
    that's it!!! he is just not human!! no way.
    pete there are not enough words or thoughts to put this in perspective!!
    outstanding job pete!!!!

mtbr member
    So, just finishing this thing was incredibly satisfying and the only reason I managed to do that was because of Carl. I think sometime after we pushed our bikes 2 days to Galena, Carl said he was making it to Nome no matter what. He just knew it. The following day from Galena was a brutal 20+ hour slog which was the final straw for me. I was done. Just too much pushing and no promise of things improving. We arrived in Nulato Friday night.
    When Carl came in to Nulato he was tired but hardly discouraged and insisted that he was still going even if he was walking to Nome.
    Despite several attempts, I did not manage to fly out of Nulato on Saturday and by the evening, almost 24 hours later, Carl was rested up and ready to head out at about 11:30 PM. I wanted to see him off and also just check out the trail one last time, but I was mentally done, already off the trail. I rode with Carl down to the river and after about 10 minutes of manageable riding, Carl stopped, turned around and said, “ Well I guess you’ll have to keep going.”
    So I rode back to Nulato, packed up my gear, grabbed some food and hit the trail 40 minutes later.
    So anyway, it sounds cheesy, but Carl is my hero. He just plodded along those whole 8 days of pushing without ever seeming discouraged and always keeping a sense of humor. Watching him carry on after all that pushing is what got me back on the trail in Nulato.

Members who have read this thread: 0