iditabike training stories- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

iditabike training stories

Ive heard about Stansted staring at a white wall for 6 hours on a turbo trainer at 75% heart rate or other and running up stairs at a university.

Does anybody have any idita training stories that might qualify as a little kooky.

mtbr member
    I rode to London, from my house in the north of england.
    Used to stair run a lot up and down the 25 flights in the office block I was working in.
    I also smoked very heavily, whilst training, and then stopped smoking with six months to go (that was a bit odd).
    Used to go for runs, in the dark, with a rucksack full of tinned food and spare clothes. Jump in a stream, change my clothes and run home.

Yeah - I guess some of them are bit kooky.

I got joint 6th in '97 on the little short course race.

This place needs an enema

Weird

Brant I'd never put it together before, but I was chasing you for most of that race. On the walk from Eaglesong back to the Yentna I kept catching glimpses of you out ahead of me. Spent so much time trying to see if I was gaining on you that I stepped in a moose hole and folded my knee...

Although I've made it to McGrath and Nome several times, I've still never finished the 100 miler...

No strange training stories for me--riding is meant to be fun. Racing (especially on the Iditarod) is where things get strange...

MC

mtbr member
    Me and Fred were playing nasty on that section, riding what we could with super super low pressures, and where we had to walk, really ragging the rail up by him walking in one bit, and me walking in another bit.

We did get caught on the final drag across the ice to the Big Lake finish, but the guy shot straight past us and never said anything when he came past which we thought was a bit pissy.

He kept turning round to see how much ground he had on us after a while (remember this is like a seven mile straight line run in).

So after a bit, of him checking us, I told fred to turn off his headlamp so the guy couldn't see us. The guy stopped for a wizz-stop, and we hammered past him to get our joint 6th place back :-)))
    Last edited by brant; 01-31-2005 at 07:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Brant
    And then you made a living selling singlespeeds...it all makes sense now.

I love these stories,maybe i should tweak this thread to cunning idita race stories.

mtbr member
    that was my one bit of race cunning in my race "career" ever. it still makes me laugh thinking of the guy looking behind, then stopping, then his face when we hammered past.

he thought it was not sportsmanlike, but hey, it's a race right :-)

I got a lot of stick the first year I did it, by overtaking a UK racer who had always beaten me soundly at UK races, when he was asleep at Yentna Station in '96.

I got to Big Su before he woke up, and finished 4hrs ahead of him.

He told our friends back home I'd left him "freezing in a cabin in the middle of nowhere".

He must have forgotten about the bar and cafe downstairs :-)

mtbr member
    training story I forgot.

one of my sponsors fixed it up for me to spend the night in a frozen food warehouse where the temp was -25C - about 15 below?

very good for feeling what that was like, without leaving the uk