How Bout Them Horsies ...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

How Bout Them Horsies ...

Whoa, those horses have really trashed the trails in the last few days. Just rode from the outer lot and was amazed how the horses have beaten up Black Bear, Rovers, Moose Meadow (less) and the steep gasline hill above Rovers (same side). Rovers seems to have gained about 3 feet in width in places and where there would normally be puddle ... dry stretch ... puddle there is now churned mud for 50 feet, puddle, churned mud. At any rate, does anyone know the best folks to write a letter to on this subject? The problem seems to be the commercial trekkers - we passed on group before realizing the extent of the trashing. It is likely the outfit that operates near the Hilltop parking lot and perhaps others. These trails were all in good shape a few days ago. Multi-use is great, but not when one user group has such a huge negative impact. Thoughts? Suggestions? Thx.

Bikes are good

Yeah, unbelievable

Those trails look like trails do in the Fall. They were just getting so nice, and now they are trashed. If it isn't horse crap, it's deep mud. The outfit at the bottom of hilltop there are with groups (have been the last several days) every day for several laps on these trails. They take up to 6 horses, maybe more, and do the same loop, or couple loops. Not only are parts of these trails bad for riding, but even running or walking through them. I can't believe they are allowed out there. Why not motorcycles next? Parks and Rec was my guess. There are plenty of trails they can ride on that they won't destroy. Right???

We should write and do something soon. Those trails don't stand a chance to horses, rain, horses, crap, horses rain.

Diaskeuast
    Regarding trails in FNBP, contact John McCleary at Anchorage Parks & Rec.: [email protected] or 343-4296

For trails in the Campbell Tract, contact Doug Ballou at the BLM Field Office by the road to the Science Center: [email protected] or 267-1398.

Both are very friendly land managers who are happy to hear from trail users with concerns. Everyone who sees something that they think needs to be addressed should contact Doug or John.
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

Bikes are good

I wrote...

Thanks for the email addresses. It's not just us right? I mean, those trails were thrashed today. It seems like they could find loops to walk their clients through on trails that wouldn't be hammered by their 1000lb animals.

Wood chips are stupid

Sta

Singletrack Advocates. What more can be said.

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Karma
    Regarding trails in FNBP, contact John McCleary at Anchorage Parks & Rec.: [email protected] or 343-4296

For trails in the Campbell Tract, contact Doug Ballou at the BLM Field Office by the road to the Science Center: [email protected] or 267-1398.

Both are very friendly land managers who are happy to hear from trail users with concerns. Everyone who sees something that they think needs to be addressed should contact Doug or John.
    Thanks - I'll contact both of them today.

We want... a shrubbery!
    I mean I'm all for multi-use trails, and I don't mind stopping for horses to pass if I come across one. However, I think these user groups should be conscientious of the damage that they cause to the trail -- let them dry out for heaven's sake!

And OK, so here's some confusion on my part -- whom do I contact for these specific trails?
    Last edited by ickyickyptngzutboing; 06-24-2008 at 08:35 AM.
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.

Ologist
    I have been thinking about trying to get something pushed through the City Council/ State Parks/BLM that would mandate that horses require an attached "butt bucket"on trails. In addition to the hammering the trails are getting from hooves, I am having a hard time understanding why horses can crap all over the trails, potentially introducing exotic plants, and leaving a wall of stank. Meanwhile dog owners can get cited for not cleaning up. Am I missing something here? Obviously both groups should be required to clean up after their beasts, but why do equestrians get all these accommodations? Both horse crap and horse holes also increase insect infestations and as stated in all the posts above ruin the trails for others. From what I understand , in FNBP and the CSP, many of these are commercial operators. Am I right to assume that contacting the folks listed above is the first step in getting something done?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Spoke to John . . .

I spoke with John the FNBP land manager. He we receptive to the issue and the input and said he would direct the horse operator to go north on the gravel trails when the other trails were not bone dry. Hopefully the horse folks will be more respectful of the trail system in the future - and if they get busted when they hammer trails perhaps they will either change their ways, get ticketed or lose their right to run a commercial operation.

Bikes are good

Nice job

Hopefully it does the trick.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    The irony of is that as commercial permit holders, they pay the Muni a fee of some sort to make a private profit from use of public lands and infrastructure. Think any of that fee ever sees its way back into trail maintenance/improvements? No f-----in' way, at least not in the Muni...instead the MOA relies on the generosity of 'do good groups' like STA, or other kind hearted individuals to either rebuild the public infrastructure, or put it onto the backs of city property owners by pushing yet another bond issue to do band aid work on trails that should in no way allow such unsustainable/unmaintainable uses as horses (as they are currently built). Don't expect anything from the Muni; the staff they have learned how to survive three mayoral administrations that either outwardly or covertly hated trails and the whole concept of public lands...in doing so, they learned how to appear to the public to be doing something, while really achieving nothing. That's why after

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    G'dang sloppy fingers! Anyway...

"that's why after 15 years there's still no management plan in place for Far North Bicen. Park, no regular maintenance, and no regular source of funding. The only way to get a change to happen is to hammer away at the Park and Rec Board, maybe by finding some supportive ears and carrying it forward. Seems like the horse operators should be made to carry gravel or other materials out on any trail they want to use, and we harden 'em for all kinds of use. Far North unfortunately seems to be doomed to continuing to be a classic case of the 'The Tragedy of Commons" unless we pursue whatever improvements we can develop a consensus on...how about a four foot wide, packed gravel with native terrain obstacles (roots, etc.) spec for Rovers Run? Us bikers along with everyone else are helping it get wider all the time, and killing all the roots on adjoining trees...

Wood chips are stupid

Good work

Quote Originally Posted by Stroganof
    I spoke with John the FNBP land manager. He we receptive to the issue and the input and said he would direct the horse operator to go north on the gravel trails when the other trails were not bone dry. Hopefully the horse folks will be more respectful of the trail system in the future - and if they get busted when they hammer trails perhaps they will either change their ways, get ticketed or lose their right to run a commercial operation.

Thanks for contacting the right people. You took the correct path.

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

Members who have read this thread: 0