Horses on the Trail- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Upset Horses on the Trail

And here are some not so nice images of the damage that a lone equestrian did to the trails between yesterday afternoon and this morning. The water bottle picture was taken on a section that the SCA crew had just completed.

The equestrian had to skirt around 4 taped off sections to continue his/her joyride. I surveyed the damage on the south section of the new lower loop, the south (open) section of the intermediate loop, the north section of intermediate loop between the gasline and Llama, and the upper section of the new (closed) section of the advanced loop. Some of the new banked turns are destroyed.

Had this person waited for things to harden up it might not have been so bad. But no, the trail is fresh and it is still soft from the rain.

I'd be more bummed than I am, but I am still grinning from the fun of today's ride!

QB
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Thats a damn shame....Im headin out there t-moro (saturday) how is the trail holdin up?

Jul 2008
    Seriously, these are pics that should go to trail managers in the muni and for the Chugach. They don't seem to believe that horses cause that much damage.

Dec 2007
    if this was "their" trail and "we" did this to it there would be h... to pay! don't they have enough of their own trails (already chewed up) to ride on?? i'm not trying to start a war, but this is way wrong!! holes like that could cause some seriuos injuries, not to mention if you happened to be walking and got your foot in this. all because someone thought the rules did not apply to them. i am not in the position or know the right people, but fat chick is right, someone in the loop needs to send these pics to the right people! if the horse shoe was on the other hoof they would.

mtbr member
    I am sure that the horse issue will be brought up during the public discussion of the draft FNBP Trails Plan.

Caveman
    bring the photos to the public discussion...

Oct 2005
    are horses allowed on these new trails or are these new trails just for bikes? if they are bikes only, which they should be, then put up some big-ars signs that say NO HORSES.

Jun 2008
    Where is this trail at??

We want... a shrubbery!
    If I'm not mistaken, these trails are for hikers/runners/bikers? But in no way designed nor sustainable for horses, at least from my viewpoint.
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.

mtbr member
    The trails were not designed to be sustainable to horses. I have discussed with Parks & Rec our desire to restrict horses. As yet there is no determination...

We want... a shrubbery!
    I'm surprised that Parks & Rec won't make a decision. Not that I know everything, but I think that if equestrians want to use a trail, they should fund the upgrades to make that trail sustainable for hoof traffic, which is a completely different store than bike tire/shoe tread traffic... Maybe it could have kept some of the other trails from being destroyed/mashed? I mean, I'm all for equestrians being able to use trails, but I think they need to recognize that their needs differ greatly from other (non-snowy times) park users, and therefore, they should have a program in place to bring the trails that they want to use up to the level needed to keep a sustainable trail...
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.

mtbr member
    It's not that P & R won't make a decision. It's that there's a lot of park planning stuff going on and they have to consider all the projects and all the potential policies before anything is set in stone. I'm learning to cool my brakes lately, acknowledging that things sometimes take time. I've heard that some equestrians are willing to come to the table and participate in planning which is a great start!

Members who have read this thread: 0