HIlltop Ski Area- Mtbr.com
    i drink shower water

HIlltop Ski Area

Is it ok to push up the Hill to ride around? I know the gate is open but i dont want to piss anyone off, if some one see's me hiking it will there be an issue at all?
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hab1b
    Is it ok to push up the Hill to ride around? I know the gate is open but i dont want to piss anyone off, if some one see's me hiking it will there be an issue at all?
    I run up and down Hilltop all the time. There are usually others hiking around. I haven't heard of there being a problem with people being up there during the summer. You could just ride up Spencer Loop if you are trying to reach the trails near the top. The Llama trail is in pretty good shape as of last weekend.

Alaska Turner Mafia
    There's actually a dirt road that zig zags up to the top of the lift. That road was even the beginning of a 24 hour race course a couple years ago. It's okay, as a matter of fact it gives you access to the beginning of the lower Llama Trail.

I'd stay away from the area for now though, there's a rogue grizzly bear stirring up some trouble, and signs are posted to stay off the Spencer Loop, Llama, and Hilltop Ski Area in general. I saw the bear just over a week ago and he's sizeable enough to deserve respect. Once he's trapped and relocated, knock yourself out with the climbing, it's a great route.

Rando
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

i drink shower water
    where is the dirt road? i just got back to AK from CO, so i dont know about all the trails here in AK yet. is it that dirt /trail in Bicentinial Park? or is it an actual road you can drive up?

also are there any decent Freeride / Downhill trails in Anchorage,Girdwood, Wasilla, or Palmer??

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Maintenance Road

where is the dirt road? i just got back to AK from CO, so i dont know about all the trails here in AK yet. is it that dirt /trail in Bicentinial Park? or is it an actual road you can drive up?

also are there any decent Freeride / Downhill trails in Anchorage,Girdwood, Wasilla, or Palmer??
    It's a maintenance road (similar to a "fire road" in other areas) that goes from the base of the downhill slope near the main building to the top of the lift, zigzagging up the hill a bit so it isn't too steep for the equipment. It doesn't go in the woods or anything, just up the open slope. If you park in the Hilltop parking lot, look up the hill and you can't miss it. It's not an open road to drive, but is fine for biking/hiking etc...

i drink shower water
    ok sounds good. thanks a lot.. what about other Dh trails?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    ok sounds good. thanks a lot.. what about other Dh trails?
    Sorry, can't help you there. As far as mountain biking is concerned, I am strictly a cross-country guy. Never gotten into the downhill scene. Others should be able to chime in with some usefull information though. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Im sure theres a lot of DH trails around here. one of the easy ones is to drive up to the flattop parking lot and ride down to the hilltop parking lot. it takes at least 2 people and theres a bunch of different ways to get down you can find your way down pretty easy if u just take powerline down then cut across a parking lot and take the gasline town to spencers loop. also check out the dome trail and up and over powerline pass those are 2 awesome trails.

ThisseatmakemyA$$lookfat?
    yeah, it is... unless they changed it. i worked up there in march, april in rentals this winter part time. i asked if it was okay, and the manager said, YES!!! i did it all last summer... we need to do some shuttle runs. it's from flat top to the top of hilltop, or you could just go to the end of the trial and that runs into the fire road, which you go left, them your back at hilltop. it's a very well know dh trail...
    aka: akfreeridemtber; brian_404
    Just get out and, RIDE!!!
    www.facebook.com/shagwn007

s62
    mtbr member
    Where is all of this? Anchorage area?
    I would think there is some DH'ing in Girdwood (at Alyeska). Also, in Cooper Landing you can give Mt. Cecil and Skyline a whirl (both are intense...). I wouldn't recommend less that 5-6" of travel for those, more if possible.

ThisseatmakemyA$$lookfat?
    it's the upper hillside area... i took the kids and went up to flat top (glenn alps) one of those sunny days we HAD... the parking lot was PACKED!!! xc riders, hikers, tourist, etc... i saw a lot of bikers, i talked to this one guy about the dh/xc trails, he said they were GREAT!!!
    aka: akfreeridemtber; brian_404
    Just get out and, RIDE!!!
    www.facebook.com/shagwn007

i drink shower water
    i rode it the other day before it rained. it was fun. not as technical as i am use to in CO but none the less it was fun and gets pretty fast.

Members who have read this thread: 0