Hillside Update - Bears?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Hillside Update - Bears?

I was up riding Hillside Saturday am and saw the signs about Brown bears approaching people. Anyone had any recent issues while up there? Is there a place we can regularly check for trail updates? The sign was crudely posted by the Alaska Fish & Game Dept.

Are these chance encounters or is there a problem bear or two up there?

Please be careful and keep your Bear Spray handy. Either that or take someone slower than you with you.....

Ologist
    All the reports that have come in to ADFG suggest that it is one subadult bear (3-5 years). Unfortunately there is no place to check for postings such as this except for trailheads, etc.; and fortunately everyone who has encountered this bear has done the right thing and not run or leave any reward for him/her. It seems that he is looking for food and he is testing bikers, etc. to see if the flee like prey.

ADFG is putting a barrel trap up there today to move the little pest. I believe it will be near that back nieghborhood where that swath/path is coming into the top of the ski jump.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info! It does not sound like a good combo! I hope they get him / her!

No, that's not phonetic
    Moving bears? That would be a big job out here.

Yesterday, outside the office:

My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Where is your office?

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    Article from the ADN today...

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/wildl...-8849155c.html

One of the bears got sprayed in the face and ran away

mtbr member
    They need to open a bear and moose hunting season on Hillside! : ) Then all the tourists could watch and be properly shocked....

Ologist
    Tscheesy - Fantastic photos!! Give J. Jackson a punch for me!

mtbike_AK - This will be year 2 of a small but growing moose hunt on the Hillside. It would be intersting to what how a bear hunt would play out in town.

mtbr member
    There seems to be a lot of houses in that area for hunting.. Are they modern firearm, black powder, or archery permits?

They certainly need to do something to control the "herds."

Ologist
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbike_AK
    There seems to be a lot of houses in that area for hunting.. Are they modern firearm, black powder, or archery permits?

They certainly need to do something to control the "herds."
    Muzzleloaders and shotguns (with double sights) which pretty much means you are in very close proximity before taking a shot.

It started off last year as a small expirament to see if a hunt could be conducted on the Hillside without inceident. If everything continues, the number of permits issued will continue each year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla
    Muzzleloaders and shotguns (with double sights) which pretty much means you are in very close proximity before taking a shot.

It started off last year as a small expirament to see if a hunt could be conducted on the Hillside without inceident. If everything continues, the number of permits issued will continue each year.
    Makes sense. I hope it works out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla

I believe the hunt area was up in the State Park, so it was not right in close to any houses. They were also pretty closely monitored. ADF&G is really taking the cautious approach to this hunt so it doesn't get cut off before it gets going.

There are archery hunts on Ft. Rich and Elmendorf as well (I got a moose just east of the Tank Trail this last December myself), so that is helping to control the numbers a bit. At least on base, they do special training to make sure people are responsible. They are very concious of the public scrutiny and the image a "sloppy" hunter leaves with people. Many people would not be happy with a moose running around town with an arrow sticking out of it's side, although that happens every once in a while.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Anyone who hunts with a bow in Alaska must take the archery course,written and practical,at least to hunt from the road.Beleive me this is a good thing because there is alot to learn, it is a skill that has to be honed.

Members who have read this thread: 0