Hillside Singletrack Trail Update- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Hillside Singletrack Trail Update

Hey Guys and Gals,

The trail is coming along really well. The contractor and consultant did a good job laying out some really fun stuff. The youth crew is doing an incredible job also--these are disadvantaged teens ages 16-18 working for the Muni and learning about parks and trails.

With all the rain the soft dirt is getting saturated in places that need work for drainage. Today when I walked the trail to measure our progress (3 miles of trail) I noted many bike tracks getting a sneak peak. Problem is, many spots that the kids worked hard on have not set up because of the continued rain; those areas are now rutted up. If we had a few days of dry weather those spots could've hardened. The kids spent a lot of time on the trail and were proud of their work--it sort of bummed me out to see the damage. Please spread the word--refrain from riding the new trail when muddy. A bit of patience will pay off for us all!

QB

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I could be wrong but I'd assume that those who are getting an early start on those trails are probably not on this board. At this point we're all pretty well informed and have kept our those in our circle informed. Somehow we need to make sure the "others" know. You gotta figure that somone not in the know who is seeing a sweet stretch of new single track, they're going to ride it. There was some talk earlier of tape and signage at the entry points to alert people and that is probably the best method at this point. If that's already up and people are just ignoring that...well...maybe we could have roving fat-tire bike patrols to distribute smack downs to poachers.

I will continue to get the word out. It would be a real travesty if these new trails get torn up before they've had a chance to dry out and settle.

Bikes are good

Actually,...

A dude posted on here about how sweet the new trail was to ride. Good to put the word out on here too. There is tape across the top entrance (top of the gasline), but there are several entry points. Are those covered as well? You can never stop everyone.

mtbr member

Thanks for getting the word out

Tape and signs are posted at the various entrances but there are people ducking under. Not much we can do about that, though, except raise awareness in our various riding groups. We were slow in getting the tape up, so the earlier traffic was our fault! Thanks for getting the word out. It's pretty amazing to me how much more savvy the mt. biking community has grown in the past couple of years, and I attribute that to discussions such as those on this forum for raising the bar.

We're going to be starting the layout on the "advanced" trail soon. We were hoping that there'd be more natural features such as ledges and big rocks, but we encountered very few of these when we roughed out the intermediate loop. I'd appreciate some input from you more technical riders on what you'd like to see.

For instance, Llama could be considered intermediate/advanced because of the grades you encounter, especially, going up. There are a few root wads that make it interesting, but mostly those sections that are advanced because the hills are steep and tricky to ride. Does anyone have photos of some fun stuff they've ridden that can be built up by hand?

If anyone wants to come out and build features with us, let me know! No manmade structures (bridges, teeter-totters,etc) but I imagine there are ways to take natural stuff and make something interesting to ride.

QB

Bikes are good

Little Drops...

One was created (maybe by accident) on the way UP Brown Bear trail. It's the last techy spot before the end of the trail (first techy spot on the way down (the right way). There is a log sawed in half leading. Hitting that with some speed and pulling your front wheel up makes for a significant drop/jump which is a ton of fun. They are good too because you don't have to do the trick in order to get through the spot. I'm available to help any time this entire week. I leave for the Alta Rezia freeride trip on Saturday. (sorry, I had to brag.)

mtbr member
    Wow, I had to Google Alta Rezia and I'm glad I did! Looks like an outstanding mt. biking destination and from the looks of the photos, there might be sun there, too! Your enthusiasm inspires me! I'll make a post of our first volunteer work party on this forum!

QB

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    A dude posted on here about how sweet the new trail was to ride. Good to put the word out on here too.
    Well, that happened a couple of weeks ago and we set him straight pretty quickly but I suppose I stand corrected. Nothing wrong with a re-enforcing the message.

I guess my point was more that we're only going to catch a certain percentage of Anchorage riders on the forums. We just need to make sure there are other means of making all riders aware and it sounds like there are. If there are people ducking the tape and disregarding the signs as QueenBee mentioned, then that's just wrong. Not sure how you could correct that, but my initial suggestion of roving Endomorph patrols still stands. Discouragement through steam-rolling.

mtbr member
    Well it's hard for me to begrudge anyone--it is pretty exciting seeing new trail! We can only do what we can do; I'm not losing sleep over it. I'm glad people are liking it!

Wood chips are stupid

Misty renforcement

Quote Originally Posted by SkiMonkee
    I could be wrong but I'd assume that those who are getting an early start on those trails are probably not on this board. At this point we're all pretty well informed and have kept our those in our circle informed. Somehow we need to make sure the "others" know. You gotta figure that somone not in the know who is seeing a sweet stretch of new single track, they're going to ride it. There was some talk earlier of tape and signage at the entry points to alert people and that is probably the best method at this point. If that's already up and people are just ignoring that...well...maybe we could have roving fat-tire bike patrols to distribute smack downs to poachers.

I will continue to get the word out. It would be a real travesty if these new trails get torn up before they've had a chance to dry out and settle.
    Bear spray isn't just for bears.

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiMonkee
    Well, that happened a couple of weeks ago and we set him straight pretty quickly but I suppose I stand corrected. Nothing wrong with a re-enforcing the message.

I guess my point was more that we're only going to catch a certain percentage of Anchorage riders on the forums. We just need to make sure there are other means of making all riders aware and it sounds like there are. If there are people ducking the tape and disregarding the signs as QueenBee mentioned, then that's just wrong. Not sure how you could correct that, but my initial suggestion of roving Endomorph patrols still stands. Discouragement through steam-rolling.
    Yo SkiMonkee - "that dude" was me, and the trail was totally buffed out at the top, there sign with a map at the top and no indication that it was closed - all of which QB has mentioned. Expecting anyone to keep track of trail closures on the boards is pretty unrealistic - who checks the boards often enough to keep up? Physical barriers, tape, "Trail Closed During Construction" signs are the only way to get the message out and, of course, there will be poachers. And such prime poaching it is . . .

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Stroganof,
    Um, that's what I was saying. The need for trail markings to get alert those that do not read the forums. I'm certainly wasn't faulting you, you didn't know and there were no signs. You then read the forum and were informed. My follow up post was regarding those that contiue to ride them even though they are now marked.

Peace, brutha, peace.

We want... a shrubbery!
    I'm pretty sure we can McGuyver some trip wires tied to bear spray at the access points to this new trail. I'd even volunteer to run the trip wires (but I'm way too clumsy to set the bear spray, but I'm sure I can find an idiot who'd be willing to be all peppered up!)... that is, if you can wait until next week when I'm back in town....
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.

Members who have read this thread: 0