Hillside riding's great!- Mtbr.com
    Alaska Turner Mafia

Hillside riding's great!

Now that the weather has moderated a bit I've been making a point to put in a Hillside loop every day. Conditions for skiing probably suck with almost no snow, but the biking is outstanding. Just be sure to have your studded tires mounted up for the icy spots. I've been seeing some non-studded tracks (along with Endomorphs) and shuddering at the hairy consequences of being without on some of the trails I've been on lately.

I ran into EndUser yesterday, and after I outsprinted a charging moose we had a chance to chat. He asked if I'd hit Blue Dot lately. I hadn't, and he said it was really fun right now, so I made it a point to ride it today.

It was a ton of fun. I've been purposely trying to tie in as many less defined singletracks into a loop, making sure to include Speedway Singletrack, Brown Bear, rio's Proliferation network, and now Blue Dot. By the way, the bridge on Blue Dot is easily crossable. Here's a shot from last May to compare to a couple from today. Take advantage of these conditions if you're looking for an excuse to get out.

Oh yeah, Peter, I've been running the older four piston XT brakes lately with no problems yet. Rides only up to about two and a half hours though, and haven't seen subzero temps. Close, but not less than zero.

Rando
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Middle Fork Trail

also reported to be in good shape for Endomorphs from Glen Alps to Prospect, though technically off-limits to bikes... Gas Line is 99% rideable from Spencer Loop intersection to Prospect, as the groomer is heading up that way regularly.

Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by EndoRando
    Conditions for skiing probably suck with almost no snow,

Rando

Members who have read this thread: 0