Hiking/Biking Options when on a Cruise?- Mtbr.com
    \_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator

Hiking/Biking Options when on a Cruise?

At the end of the Month my wife and I will be on a 7 day Cruise with stops in Juno, Ketchekan and Skagwey.

My wife has been browsing options for things to do when off the boat, but it looks like everything costs money... like $100 per person for a 2 mile hike....

Is it possible to just go off on our own and hike some trails for free, get in some nature and get back to the boat?

would it be worth my time to try and rent a bike and do a local ride? Seems like we don't always have a bunch of time on the ground.

I would like to Kayak in a bay as well.

I checked Beer Advocate and it looks like Brewery options are fairly limited when in these towns. Skagway brewing seemed like the best one to visit.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and tips. I have wanted to visit Alaska for a long time.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    At the end of the Month my wife and I will be on a 7 day Cruise with stops in Juno, Ketchekan and Skagwey.

My wife has been browsing options for things to do when off the boat, but it looks like everything costs money... like $100 per person for a 2 mile hike....

Is it possible to just go off on our own and hike some trails for free, get in some nature and get back to the boat?

would it be worth my time to try and rent a bike and do a local ride? Seems like we don't always have a bunch of time on the ground.

I would like to Kayak in a bay as well.

I checked Beer Advocate and it looks like Brewery options are fairly limited when in these towns. Skagway brewing seemed like the best one to visit.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and tips. I have wanted to visit Alaska for a long time.
    I'm sure it is possible to hike in all of those places. Juneau in particular has a tram heading from the cruise ship port up into the mountains, I'm sure there are a lot of trails around there. https://www.hikingproject.com/ There are a few trails on that app, but I'm sure there are more. Biking is probably a harder to come by. I'm not sure if there is any riding down in Juneau, but I doubt there is in the other two locations. Anchorage and Fairbanks have the most trail development, with a few scattered trail systems out in the Kenai and Homer area, but those areas down there where you are going are generally accessed by boat or plane, which negates bikes for the most part. We got some great trails up here in Anchorage for the next time you are coming through. Seward is on many cruise-ship ports (but not yours evidently) and has excellent riding and hiking nearby, breathtaking in fact.

There is a rule that the cruise lines enforce with their "contractors", they require the guide companies, scenic flights, etc., to charge the cruise passengers 2x what they do for the Alaska residents. They enforce this pretty strictly as far as contractors so they tend to find out about it when someone isn't charged according to this ridiculous rule, and then they send their cruise ship passengers to a different vendor. So prepare yourself...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    There is a rule that the cruise lines enforce with their "contractors", they require the guide companies, scenic flights, etc., to charge the cruise passengers 2x what they do for the Alaska residents. They enforce this pretty strictly as far as contractors so they tend to find out about it when someone isn't charged according to this ridiculous rule, and then they send their cruise ship passengers to a different vendor. So prepare yourself...

hrm... i see. My goal was to find a trail i could get to and just hike it.... as in for free.... lol.

Thanks for the link. I will check it out further.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    Looks like I can take a tram to this trailhead:

https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/7034318

I will look into this one for sure.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    While it is not "mountain biking", My wife and I are going to get to ride some bikes while in Alaska:

Skagway White Pass Train and Bicycle Tour | Alaska Shore Excursions

Ride the train up the mountain, ride the bike down with some stops along the way.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

Captain One Lung Administrator
    Have a great trip! I was just up there (Anchorage/Prince William Sound). You'll likely miss the wonderful fireweed displays now that the mountains have been dusted but the place is magical no matter what time of year.

Cheers!
    Hiking/Biking Options when on a Cruise?-20160829_180921.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Also keep in mind that you will want to carry bear mace with you if you are able to hike alone. There is a reason most cruise companies wont allow you to wander alone. This environment is not like the lower 48 and quite honestly the weather and water is more likely to kill you than any bear or moose. Being prepared and knowledgeable is key.