Help in the snow- Mtbr.com

Jan 2008

Help in the snow

So quick question. I have a specialized hard tail that i converted to a single speed. I love this thing. bought a kryptonite lock for it nobody is gonna steal my baby hopefully. I use this bike as a commuter and i ride all around town even in the snow.

main question: i have new kenda nevegal tires on it. i aired them down to 15psi. and it says that the min is 30 and max is 50 psi. so riding in the snow feels much better with low psi. Am i going to damage my tires or the rims if i am just using the bike at a commuter around campus and town on 15psi? should i add 15psi to em in the morning so they will be at 30psi? i really love this bike and want to take care of it so please let me know it will be greatly appreciated. reason i am running such low psi is the other night i biked to buffalo wild wings and ate shite on some ice and slush going straight not even turning and i slowed down so a crawl and still ate it. luckily i had a head light and a tail light so all the cars saw me and laughed lol. today i was even biking in a blizzard and with the lower psi i felt solid.

oh and i weigh 170ish. the snow is supper thick here right now though.

thanks!!!

david

is buachail foighneach me
    just try to avoid hitting curbs and potholes with the tires that low. if something with bigger volume will fit, you might want to try that.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    If they will fit get the WTB weirwolfs in the 2.5 size they are great for snow as far as regular tires are concerned.

Jan 2008
    the low psi will shorten the sidewall life up considerably.

Members who have read this thread: 0