mtbr member

Help Needed June 2nd

NATIONAL TRAILS DAY PROJECTS
    FOR SINGLETRACK ADVOCATES
    Saturday, June 2, 2007
    8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

Pizza Party at BLM Campbell Creek Science Center immediately following

Meet at Hilltop Parking Lot Trailhead

Project A: Install signs on sign posts in the park--good for people with bad backs
    Items to Bring: Gloves, water, snacks, shovels, battery operated screwdrivers, mt. bike, and Bob Trailer if available

Project B: Brown Bear Maintenance--good for people with good backs!
    Items to Bring: Gloves, buckets, shovels, water, snacks

Please RSVP to Janice: [email protected]
    The work day begins at 8:30am at respective trailheads and end with a Pizza Party / Thank You at the BLM Campbell Creek Science Center starting at 12:30 - 1p-ish. We hope you will plan to carve out and share your Saturday morning with the trail community.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Not a good day...

Not the best day to be looking for mountain bikers to help out. June 2nd is the day of the Eklutna Challenge (mountain bike duathlon) at Eklutna Lake. I will be out racing, otherwise I would help out. Sorry about that. Maybe another day.

Wood chips are stupid

Our trails

I will be there. Chances to help our trails don't come every weekend.

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

Jul 2006
    I would like to help, however I can not get there at 8:30am. But more like 8:45/9:00 if that is OK. And I can do either Project A or Project B And for tools all I have is a small handsaw.

Ologist
    Sorry I just reread the original post and question was answered.

mtbr member

Good job! For late arrivers

No problem if you can't be there at 8:30. There will be a crew working on Brown Bear and they will have tools (pulaskis and McCleods). Just proceed north on the Gasline corridor to the "wood chip plaza" overlooking Campbell Creek. Take a left by the pile of rocks to the entrance of Brown Bear.

Thanks so much for helping out!

QB

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I should be there too. The wife gave me the ok. I've got a DeWalt drill I can bring. It should fit the bill for putting up the signs.

Mike

mtbr member

Great!

I'll put ya down for sign installation. Thanks AkMike!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'll help with project A. I can borrow a Bob if you still need one and have a screw gun etc.

No time like now to learn more about trail riding.
    --
    Curt Harris
    Anchorage, AK
    [email protected]

mtbr member

Yes!!!

Thanks CHarris! If you bring your cordless drill or screw driver, be sure to label it so it doesn't get lost. Project B needs the tools for installing the signs on all those lonely sign posts in The Park. They'll be meeting at the same location. I already have access to two Bobs. There are some tools to haul in to the Brown Bear site.

EndoRando and CSouser are the leads on the Brown Bear project.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I haven't ridden the hillside enough to completely know my way around. I'm assuming there will be someone who knows where to go correct??

Mike

mtbr member

Sign Installation

Oh yes--there will be people there organizing the sign installation. They'll send groups of people out with maps and sign kits with instructions on how to install them. There will be people there who know the trails and locations of all the sign posts. Thanks for helping!

Jul 2006
    First time doing a trail cleanup and I just had a few questions.
    1. Should I run platforms?
    2. Should I use my beater bike?

mtbr member

Trail Work

The work on Brown Bear involves hand tools (pulaskis, mccleods and shovels) to dig dirt, and some hauling of rocks. You won't need a bike other than to ride 1/3 mile to the trailhead if you don't want to walk.

If you want to install signs on those sign posts, bring a cordless drill and extra battery if you have these items.

Jul 2006
    Ok so I wake up this morning all excited, my cordless drill is all charged up and ready. I have my water, snacks, tools and gloves. I hop into the car and head out. Oh my it’s 8:20am I will be on time “Awesome” I pull into the Hillside parking lot. Uh, I don’t see any cars! Ok so I tell my self, they started early and are already working on the trail.

So I head down towards the trail and make my way down the trail, still no sign of anyone. Now I am questioning myself (Is this brown bear?) So I head down the trail a little more and next thing I know I am at Black Bear, now I am dumbfounded. Where is everyone? So I whip out my cell phone and call EndoRando. “Good morning, where is everyone? What do you mean? Well I thought we had trail clean up today at 8:30am.” Ah no that would be next Saturday June 2nd.”

Do I need to say more!
    Sorry Rando for calling you so EARLY

Alaska Turner Mafia
    No problem Manny, I was already up and had a mug of coffee in me. Sorry you got mixed up, but way to go showing some enthusiasm. Just put that on hold for a week, it's still a go.

Rando
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Just Checking

I assume the meeting place tomorrow morning is at the Hilltop ski area parking lot off Abbott Road.

Beside a couple of screw guns, any other last minute items needed? Grabber screws? Lag bolts?
    --
    Curt Harris
    Anchorage, AK
    [email protected]

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I will be attending this fesitivity, I am bringing my Pugsley,backpack,cordless drill, bucket and a shovel.I am assuming, as is Curt, that the meeting place is the Hilltop one off Abbott.

mtbr member
    Yep. Go all the way into Hilltop Ski Area and park at the very end of the parking lot north end. The sign coordinator, Brian, says that people can bring screw guns and he'll supply the hardware and bits. If you want to ride around to the sign posts, by all means bring your mt. bike and a big pack to carry the signs. Volunteer and get a ride in at the same time!!!

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    Ugh...posting from work 0545 on Saturday is not fun.

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

Thanks Everyone that showed up!

Thank you everyone who was able to make it. We got a lot done and it is great the trail is holding up so well.

Again thanks for everyones efforts, we had a great turn out!

Christopher

Jul 2006

You Are Most Very Welcome

However I should be thanking you, because I had a great time. I was on sign duty, and enjoyed it! Hope you donít get lost Oh and the cookies

mtbr member

Cool, cool

Sounds like everyone had a fun and productive time! Thanks again to our leaders, CRSouser, EndoRando and AkDeluxe. It's wonderful to have such great trail supporters.

QB

Caveman
    sorry I couldent make it, I just got back from seattle last night.
    Thanks

Members who have read this thread: 0