Help from Anchorage riders.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Help from Anchorage riders.

My family and I will be in or around the big city up from the pen. for this coming week. My #2 son will be at a wrestling camp in Chugiak. The rest of us will be exploring new bike trails, we plan on staying at Eklutna for a few days, but we are wondering what single tracks are in the area? If there are none whats a good place in town that we could park the motorhome and ride from? If nothing else I guess we can just ride the costal trail (which is great) but we can only fit 1 bike a piece, and mine will be my 907, and larrys dont like black top! Any suggestions will be appreciated.

mtbr member
    I suggest parking at Hilltop Ski Area just off the main road by Abbot, and hooking into Anchorage Hillside STA trails.

Info below
    https://www.singletracks.com/mountai...os.php?id=3444

Its easily accessible by hooking into Drone Lane trail and heading up on the lower left hand corner of the map. The white/blue/red trails are all mountain bike trails made MTB use. The system has good climbs on the way up, nothing crazy. Provides some good flowy stuff on the way down. These popped up in the last couple of years. Very nice trail system. If you climb all the way up to prospect heights area you can hook into Powerline which runs all way up to the flatop area, this is more fire road type trail.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Wow thanks! I had no idea that those trails existed. I have read on here STA for years but really didnt know what it meant.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=689382

Most of the trails on this map are also good in the summer. They are a mix of wide multiuse trail and very narrow singletrack. Could both be fun depending on what type of riding you like. Best access is from Service High which is just down from the STA trails shown above. The two areas are connected by the Service ski trail system which is also ridable and also has little singletrack branches off it.

Another whole area is Kincaid Park.