Hello to the Fairbanks Cycle Club- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Hello to the Fairbanks Cycle Club

Long ago (1993-1996) I was stationed in Fairbanks (Eielson). While I was up there I bought my first mountain bike. (A trek 8000). Then I found out about the FCC through a newspaper article. One phone conversation with Doug Burnside (one of my personal hero's) and suddenly I found myself on something called the Deathride Trail. Wow...that changed my life. I made it to all the tuesday night rides from then on. That next spring I bought a Trek Y-bike. Made it to almost every club ride til I was reassigned to nebraska. While there I made two trips to Moab and did a few local races. But saddly, my beloved bike was stolen in 1998. For some reason I did not replace it...my soul felt like it had been ripped out.
    Two months ago I was going through some boxes of old clothes and came across the bright yellow Fairbanks Cycle Club jersey ( i tried it on...either it shrunk while in that box or I put on a few pounds). The memories flooded back in an instant. That weekend I bought the frame you see below and built it up from used parts that I managed to find deals on. The passion is back. I am living in the Washington DC area now, still in the Air Force. There are great trails here and some real friendly riders. But nothing will ever compare to Doug's Tuesday night ride series. I really miss those nights...standing by his subaru wagon eatting cookies.

Much love to all in Fairbanks. One of the hidden gems of the mountain biking world.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vecsus; 06-08-2004 at 06:44 PM.