Hello- Mtbr.com

Thread: Hello

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Hello

Just got in from a nice 2 hour ride in the Love Rd. trail system, nothing official just a mess of trails (maybe 30-40 miles) made by mushers and snowmachiners. Started out under a snowy sky and enjoyed watching the sun work it's way through. Balmy temps of around 10F made for an easier ride but some trails are still not primo. Let air out twice and once back on the pipeline pad put it back in. Cruised along slicing the 1-2 inches of frost snow with little resistance.

I've got a website devoted to winter mtn. biking in Alaska, http://home.gci.net/~winterbiker/index.html , some might enjoy. Over 150 pictures, link to more pictures on a yahoo album and a number of ride and trip descriptions, most with pictures. There is some summer content too.

Looking forward to hearing about new places to ride year round from this group. tony

Beware of Doggerel

Hello

Wow that's great stuff. My favorite thing about these forums is reading folks ride stories and seeing the pics. Wow, wow, wow your site is great. Did I mention I got a big kick out of your website?

Anyway welcome aboard. Hope we can share pics, stories and maybe a ride some day.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by awinterbiker
    Just got in from a nice 2 hour ride in the Love Rd. trail system, nothing official just a mess of trails (maybe 30-40 miles) made by mushers and snowmachiners. Started out under a snowy sky and enjoyed watching the sun work it's way through. Balmy temps of around 10F made for an easier ride but some trails are still not primo. Let air out twice and once back on the pipeline pad put it back in. Cruised along slicing the 1-2 inches of frost snow with little resistance.

I've got a website devoted to winter mtn. biking in Alaska, http://home.gci.net/~winterbiker/index.html , some might enjoy. Over 150 pictures, link to more pictures on a yahoo album and a number of ride and trip descriptions, most with pictures. There is some summer content too.

Looking forward to hearing about new places to ride year round from this group. tony

Jun 2003

Hello, and welcome!

I am in Anchorage, but I look forward to meeting you at some point. Alaska is like that. I met Adam, at the 24hr race, ON the course. (He was passing me at the time.)

mtbr member

Good job! Hi, and another welcome.....

Thanks for sharing the pics and your website. It is also great to meet new people throught this website. I hope we can meet in person sometime and as Adam said, share some pics in the future.
    Dave
    Idaho Transplant (closet roadie)

Jan 2004

Hey Tony:

I perused your website a bit as well as your photo album;great stuff! Looks like you're fairly serious about this winter biking nonsense. I live 230 miles closer to you than everyone else who's responded to your post so far (Denali Park area), stop by if you're in the 'hood. We've got a lot of dog trails out the back door, and frequently have pretty good ice on the Yanert River to ride on.

What do you do in Fairbanks when you're not riding?

Ken

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Ken
    I perused your website a bit as well as your photo album;great stuff! Looks like you're fairly serious about this winter biking nonsense. I live 230 miles closer to you than everyone else who's responded to your post so far (Denali Park area), stop by if you're in the 'hood. We've got a lot of dog trails out the back door, and frequently have pretty good ice on the Yanert River to ride on.

What do you do in Fairbanks when you're not riding?

Ken
    What do I do? Hmmm, in winter it's reading, internet (which is mostly reading), tv, writing, photography, keeping 2000 plus ft. of driveways, pads and trails plowed here on 12 hillside acres outside of Fairbanks that constitute home, doing firewood, saunas at least once a week and hopefully biking 3 times a week. Other than driving to trailheads I try to stay home and an often achieved goal is no more than one trip to town a week or less. tony

Jan 2004

Oh.

What do I do? Hmmm, in winter it's reading, internet (which is mostly reading), tv, writing, photography, keeping 2000 plus ft. of driveways, pads and trails plowed here on 12 hillside acres outside of Fairbanks that constitute home, doing firewood, saunas at least once a week and hopefully biking 3 times a week. Other than driving to trailheads I try to stay home and an often achieved goal is no more than one trip to town a week or less. tony
    Sounds like you're plenty busy being a subsistence homesteader kinda guy, eh? I can relate. I'm making one town trip a week right now too (except mine is 300 miles round trip) because I'm taking TIG welding classes at Hutchison on Fridays; otherwise my week sounds much like yours.

Later.

Ken

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Denali Hwy

Ken, how's the road looking?
    Pat

Jan 2004

I'll offer a W.A.G...........

Quote Originally Posted by patirwin
    Ken, how's the road looking?
    Pat
    You know, a wild ass guess since I haven't been out there since our Mclaren trip. Snowfall has abated and temps have been warm, then cool, and relatively warm again (20s). My guess is it's pretty well packed and likely rideable as far east as the Susitna, and probably tough going beyond that.

Jeff says stop in and use his tent if you like.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Ken

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks, Ken.....

....for checking on the road for us. A few years ago I'd just show up and try to ride it, but age has brought wisdom.....a little anyway......and now a trail report sounds better than pushing my bike for miles and miles and miles.......
    Hope you had a good thanksgiving and stay in touch. Where's King Jeff's tent?
    Pat

Jan 2004

Bwaaaaaaa......

Quote Originally Posted by patirwin
    . Where's King Jeff's tent?
    Pat
    King Jeff? Too funny! Check yer e.

Ken

Members who have read this thread: 0