Heading home- Mtbr.com

Thread: Heading home

Dec 2006

Heading home

There must be some local expert advice for the riches the lie in wait in the north country.
    I am heading out from the Mexican border in search of home in the far northern hinterlands.
    Yup: road trip all the way through to AK.

Anyone else been to BC, the Yukon, or further and done a great ride? Tell me please. Spread the love.

I am asking for trail and camp spot advice in Canada that I can hit along the route. I won't be spending two nights in one place (or even latitude) except the big W, so all the good advice out there would be greatly appreciated.

I will certainly miss AZ in general, but F the heat.
    Thanks, Adam

Enjoy the pics of 50 year trail and Anchorage goodness. What a contrast!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The wife and I just got back from British Columbia on friday and I have to say that it was simply fantastic We took the Sea to Sky highway and made stops in Vancover the North and Western shores, Squamish, Whistler and Pemberton. The riding in these areas is stellar; There are more trails than you can ride in a period of years. Not only are these areas absolutely beautiful and majestic the Canadians and everyone else that we met are arguably the best riders that we've ever ridden with. The Mountain biking ranges from cross country riding to Freestyle. Note: What Canadians call hard/difficult trails in other areas of the US would be considerd extreme Some trails I would reccomend that We rode on are are The North Shore Vancover Mt Seymore's CBC trail and it's connecting trail Team Pangor. Up the road about two exits towards West Vancover is Mount Fromme's seventh secret, these trails are insanly difficult. Mt Grouse is nerby as well as, Cypres Mountain. Up the road is Squamish There are three different areas to ride there We rode
    two of them Alice Lake area Awsome, Garabaldi Heights near the College Fantastic! Whistler riding pretty sweet The area around Whistler has just as good riding as the mountain bike park; A great trail I would reccomend is Comfortably numb 17 miles of pure single track with all sorts of cool slickrock like formations lots of narly roots and ladder bridges. The Mountain bike park is superb lots of steep. Pemberton was a blast too Mosquito lake area (Cream puff a neat trail) although we found some of the trails powder dry our only dissapointment (No rain record heat wave last week 100 or so). On the way back to the states we stopped at Bellingham Washington's Galbraith trail system somwhat like the trails in Anchorage's Hillside but with more jumps and drops

Dec 2006

Only one person has travelled to the Mecca?

I thought Anchorage had a budding DH scene? I also thought AK wasn't feeling the recession like it is outside.

Thanks FF,
    I really appreciate the tips. I think many of the trails you mentioned are on my radar already. Something about great minds...?

Bikes are good

Yukon

Whitehorse

Check this link
    http://www.marinbikes.com/bicycles_2...217.yukon2.pdf

Awesome stuff way up there. Haven't been yet, but maybe before the snow flies.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    May 2006

Need more than 1 night in BC

ffsantiago is right on. Grouse, Cypress, Seymore, Squamish and Whistler should all be considered different area's and area's that you HAVE TO RIDE. they're all incredible! There's everything from casually technical to ridiculous and it's all super fun. Go to whistler for sure. The valley trails are fun. Comfortably Numb is fun and a lot of work. A river runs through it is another great valley trail. The park in Whistler is the coolest place in the world. Don't miss it.

Bellingham, WA has great riding too. Hit up the bike shop in downtown Bham Fanatik for some trails. Lots of options there.

Further south in WA, there are some fun jump trails near Seatac [can't remember the name of the park, but can ask my brother if needed]. Also, exit 38 off of I-90 on the way to Snoqualmie pass in WA has great shuttle trails too. Generally there's some guys there with room in the back of the truck if you just stop by. wear armor...

Spokane, WA has Beacon Hill too. Fun trails. again, easy to 40 foot gaps...

I'm jealous. have fun, post pictures.

Members who have read this thread: 0