Hauling- Mtbr.com

Thread: Hauling

Caveman

Hauling

Flew back wednesday night from Fairbanks and am sitting here back at work. My fingers are tingling from the pounding, my legs are shot, knees hurt, sun burnt, and mosquito bitten..Deadhorse to Fairbanks was Epic! This trip was inspired by Pat's cold and icy attempt back in April. After 3 weeks of working watching the effects of gravity on water and ice. It was time say goodbye working for the man, and to ride. I left Deadhorse late Saturday afternoon and rode 100 miles out across the coastal plain into the foothills, The Brooks range comes into view as a mirage after 40 miles and ever so slowly gets bigger and more defined. Day 2, a biggie, 115 miles up and down lots of barren rolling foothills then finally into the Atigun Valley. The landscape was surreal and it was one of the best biking days I've ever had, simply incredible. Up Atigun pass was steep but short, but not as bad as some other big mtn passes. Camped on a river bed that night psyched to have crossed a mountain range that was just a mirage the day before. Down into the interior Alaskan forest. Then came the mosquitoes, after getting to Coldfoot and inhaling a cheesburger, fries, coke, gatorade, did another 60 miles to get to the Arctic Circle. Lots of climbing, up one big hill and down, cross a valley - repeat. Bigger climbs than Atigun Pass. After a fitful not very enjoyable night of waking up to 30 blood filled mosquitos inside the bug mesh of my bivy sack, had a hard day with 75 miles of the most climbing. Body starting to feel it after the 3 long days before... one mile up, one mile down, 2 miles up 1 mile down, and so on.. not much to speak of except the increase in traffic and trucks....Yukon River truck Stop - big cheese burger and ice cream then two big climbs out of the valley. tired to sleep, body doesn't want to. Hart rate doesn't drop off. up Yesterday morning, got a plane to catch... 50 more relentless hilly miles to finish the Dalton to the Paved Manley hot springs highway.. mission accomplished. 70 miles from Fairbanks, body is done, tapped, no more go, take rests sitting on the pavement staring into space, get up go 20 more miles, out comes the thumb and fisherman Ken to scrape my carcus off the road to deliver me to the Fairbanks airport lounge and the pints of Alaskan Stout. a good way to spend four days.

The Dalton is a hell of a ride, go do it in the fall when the tundra turns red and the mosquitos die down...

Cheers
    Eric

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearbait
    Flew back wednesday night from Fairbanks and am sitting here back at work. My fingers are tingling from the pounding, my legs are shot, knees hurt, sun burnt, and mosquito bitten..Deadhorse to Fairbanks was Epic! This trip was inspired by Pat's cold and icy attempt back in April. After 3 weeks of working watching the effects of gravity on water and ice. It was time say goodbye working for the man, and to ride. I left Deadhorse late Saturday afternoon and rode 100 miles out across the coastal plain into the foothills, The Brooks range comes into view as a mirage after 40 miles and ever so slowly gets bigger and more defined. Day 2, a biggie, 115 miles up and down lots of barren rolling foothills then finally into the Atigun Valley. The landscape was surreal and it was one of the best biking days I've ever had, simply incredible. Up Atigun pass was steep but short, but not as bad as some other big mtn passes. Camped on a river bed that night psyched to have crossed a mountain range that was just a mirage the day before. Down into the interior Alaskan forest. Then came the mosquitoes, after getting to Coldfoot and inhaling a cheesburger, fries, coke, gatorade, did another 60 miles to get to the Arctic Circle. Lots of climbing, up one big hill and down, cross a valley - repeat. Bigger climbs than Atigun Pass. After a fitful not very enjoyable night of waking up to 30 blood filled mosquitos inside the bug mesh of my bivy sack, had a hard day with 75 miles of the most climbing. Body starting to feel it after the 3 long days before... one mile up, one mile down, 2 miles up 1 mile down, and so on.. not much to speak of except the increase in traffic and trucks....Yukon River truck Stop - big cheese burger and ice cream then two big climbs out of the valley. tired to sleep, body doesn't want to. Hart rate doesn't drop off. up Yesterday morning, got a plane to catch... 50 more relentless hilly miles to finish the Dalton to the Paved Manley hot springs highway.. mission accomplished. 70 miles from Fairbanks, body is done, tapped, no more go, take rests sitting on the pavement staring into space, get up go 20 more miles, out comes the thumb and fisherman Ken to scrape my carcus off the road to deliver me to the Fairbanks airport lounge and the pints of Alaskan Stout. a good way to spend four days.

The Dalton is a hell of a ride, go do it in the fall when the tundra turns red and the mosquitos die down...

Cheers
    Eric
    Thanks for the report. Sounds like a helluva ride and it's good to know when to do it. Stop by the shop to see the 29er full boinger we got in.
    Later, Pat

mtbr member

Good job! Nice write up.....

[QUOTE=Bearbait]Flew back wednesday night from Fairbanks and am sitting here back at work. My fingers are tingling from the pounding, my legs are shot, knees hurt, sun burnt, and mosquito bitten..Deadhorse to Fairbanks was Epic! This trip was inspired by Pat's cold and icy attempt back in April. After 3 weeks of working watching the effects of gravity on water and ice. It was time say goodbye working for the man, and to ride. I left Deadhorse late Saturday afternoon and rode 100 miles out across the coastal plain into the foothills, The Brooks range comes into view as a mirage after 40 miles and ever so slowly gets bigger and more defined. Day 2, a biggie, 115 miles up and down lots of barren rolling foothills then finally into the Atigun Valley. The landscape was surreal and it was one of the best biking days I've ever had, simply incredible. Up Atigun pass was steep but short, but not as bad as some other big mtn passes. Camped on a river bed that night psyched to have crossed a mountain range that was just a mirage the day before. Down into the interior Alaskan forest. Then came the mosquitoes, after getting to Coldfoot and inhaling a cheesburger, fries, coke, gatorade, did another 60 miles to get to the Arctic Circle. Lots of climbing, up one big hill and down, cross a valley - repeat. Bigger climbs than Atigun Pass. After a fitful not very enjoyable night of waking up to 30 blood filled mosquitos inside the bug mesh of my bivy sack, had a hard day with 75 miles of the most climbing. Body starting to feel it after the 3 long days before... one mile up, one mile down, 2 miles up 1 mile down, and so on.. not much to speak of except the increase in traffic and trucks....Yukon River truck Stop - big cheese burger and ice cream then two big climbs out of the valley. tired to sleep, body doesn't want to. Hart rate doesn't drop off. up Yesterday morning, got a plane to catch... 50 more relentless hilly miles to finish the Dalton to the Paved Manley hot springs highway.. mission accomplished. 70 miles from Fairbanks, body is done, tapped, no more go, take rests sitting on the pavement staring into space, get up go 20 more miles, out comes the thumb and fisherman Ken to scrape my carcus off the road to deliver me to the Fairbanks airport lounge and the pints of Alaskan Stout. a good way to spend four days.

Cheers
    Eric[/QUO

Old guys like me need stories like this. The body would'nt do that kind of a ride but the mind loves to read about them. Great Job, great story.
    Thanks,
    Dave