Haul road/Dalton Hwy- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Haul road/Dalton Hwy

The plan is to ride the haul road this fall, the end of August. Starting in Deadhorse and riding to Fairbanks. Taking it easy and just fishing and camping for several days. Who has done the ride and what are your thoughts? Iíve driven it a couple times and Iím quite excited for the ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Did you do the ride? It is on my bucket list as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ-AK View Post
    Did you do the ride? It is on my bucket list as well.
    Sorry for such a late response, I haven't been on in quite a while.
    We did do the ride. I should say attempted the ride. There were a few things that forced us out at Coldfoot.

Day one: After getting off work and catching a ride to Deadhorse I assembled my Fatback Corvus fitted with 29+ tires. Met up with my friend Leonard who flew up and stayed the night at the Aurora. After making some adjustments we were headed down the road I think around 10:00 or so. It POURED rain the entire day! After about 60 miles we camped along the Sag river by pump station 2. Despite having rain gear on I was soaked and every inch of me and my gear was covered in grit from the read and passing cars.

Day 2: We woke to no rain. Rolled out at about 9:30 after having breakfast and drinking coffee. Was shaping up to be a nice day. After pump station 2 the elevation starts to change and the climbing begins. Besides only a couple rain showers that were short lived, we had a nice dry day 95% of the day. The stretch between Ice cut and Oil spill hill was a long straight stretch of TACKY mud. It packed into Leonard's fenders so tight that his wheels would no longer turn and was forced to stop and dig it out. This proved to be a problem a couple more times over the next couple days. After a pretty short mileage day we camped across from pump station 3.

Day3: Woke again to no rain and no sound out of Leonard yet either. I walked down to the river and did a little fishing. Caught one grayling. Started to sprinkle so I sat back down in my tent to wait for Leonard and see if the rain would quit. It did not. After waiting and waiting, and a nap it was decided it didn't matter what time we got moving it was going to be in the rain. We rode all day in the rain and pretty strong wind. I say all day in the rain, but it was only half. The other half was sideways snow. The scenery was no less amazing! Leonard has been having trouble with his feet for a couple days now and we finally stet up camp under the pipeline across form Galbraith turnoff.

Day 4: It has blown and snowed all night. Early in the morning I had to pull my bike along side and tie my tent to it, the wind kept laying my tent over. Leonard's feet were in rough shape. It was decided that we would pull out at Coldfoot for the fact that we would be struggling to make it in time to make our train reservations from Fairbanks back to Anchorage. My bottom bracket has now been making noise for the past day. We left camp in the blowing snow and headed south. The wind was at our back now so that was quite nice. Within an hour or so we were on the front side of the storm and stayed mostly out of the snow for the rest of the day, although it was quite cold with the wind if you stopped for long. Our last day was a solid 100 miles to Coldfoot. Gorgeous scenery all the way.

My amazing wife Genista got off work at noon and drove all the way up to get us. She showed up about 3:00 a.m. We had got a couple rooms and were able to get some sleep before grabbing breakfast and heading out later that morning.

In the end I replaced my bottom bracket, brake pads and straightened my warped rotors. Leonard replaced his ENTIRE drivetrain! The constant water and grit was more that I could have ever fully planned for. Epic journey indeed! Looking forward to doing it again.

This was the ride in a nutshell. I don't have any pictures on this computer, so I don't have any to share at the moment. To be honest, I didn't take many. My hands were cold often and when they weren't I chose to keep them that way.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Thanks for sharing your story. It sounds like a good type 2 adventure!

mtbr member
    What would this world be without amazing wives? I have one like that. I am eternally grateful.

I lived up on the Slope for 13 years. It takes a tough person to battle that place.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Wow, amazing adventure and reminder that the weather in AK rules all!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.