Hatcher Pass Draft Management Plan- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Hatcher Pass Draft Management Plan

We need non-motorized supporters tomorrow night at the last DNR Public Hearing.

Central Middle School of Science 6:30-9:00 pm, April 6th
    1405 E Street (corner of 14th adn E Street)

Please consider attending, if you are able. We need support to conserve our limited non-motorized areas in Hatcher Pass. This area includes portions of the proposed Nordic and Alpine Ski Areas, the sledding hill, as well as future Mountain Bike and Equestrian Facility. Please let the DNR know that there should be:
    #1 No additional winter motorized corridors on the East Side of Hatcher Pass
    #2 No atv/orv corridors in the summer on the East Side
    #3 Reed lakes and High Glacier Peaks Units (mountaineering huts) need to be closed to motorized activity year round
    #4 They need to support an increase in funding for adequate enforcement of existing trails/corridors

If you are unable to attend, please submit comments online : www.dnr.state.ak.us/mlw/planning Comments due by 5pm, May 5th.

Sorry for the late notice and thanks for your support

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks to those who were able to attend. We had a good showing in terms of non-motorized users. It is important that people submit written comments by 5pm, May 5th. Increasing motorized access on the East side of Hatcher Pass, will be the beginning of the end. Please let the DNR know that this is not a good idea. There are few places in the valley that have not already been destroyed. We have a huge potential for skiing and great mountain biking on the south side of Government Peak!

mtbr member
    As an avid mountain biker and snowmachiner I hope they increase winter motorized use in every part of this state, especially to sleds since it poses very minimal if any vegetation damage.

Land is land, and should be able to used by everyone to an extent. No need for the constant battle between the motorized and non-motorized groups. Its restriction like these proposed plans which will lead to further rules being levied. Sooner or later they will be "foot only" trails like some of the anchorage hillside trails.

Have a nice weekend.
    Last edited by nojoke; 04-11-2010 at 10:00 PM.

is buachail foighneach me
    I'm in favor of more WINTER motorized corridors, because winter motorized corridors are also fat bike corridors. We really don't have the kind of non-motorized traffic in the valley to keep all the singletrack packed. Snowmachine trails are where it's at. I agree with 2, 3 and 4 though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jvalerius
    Thanks to those who were able to attend. We had a good showing in terms of non-motorized users. It is important that people submit written comments by 5pm, May 5th. Increasing motorized access on the East side of Hatcher Pass, will be the beginning of the end. Please let the DNR know that this is not a good idea. There are few places in the valley that have not already been destroyed. We have a huge potential for skiing and great mountain biking on the south side of Government Peak!

Just like nojoke says motorized vehicles are not the enemy here. We need to have more access for both. Separate trails systems are a good idea though. I was working in Colorado for almost two years and down there they have worked to shut off OHV use on trails then recently they started shutting out mountain bike access in many areas. So now you see more mountain bike groups and OHV groups teaming together to keep there areas open. The big issue down there is wilderness designation and the government seems to be locking more areas up and it shuts areas down to walking access and maybe equestrian.

Now mountain bike and OHV don't mix well on trails just like Mountain bike and equestrian. When I was in colorado I spooked a few horses around blind curves a few times and almost caused a lady to get thrown. And I know up here I would not want to share rails with OHV either. But the best thing to do is get with these groups to open and establish more areas and set up designated trails for OHV, mountain bike, and other. I am not biased to one or the other. I have owned ATV's, dirt bikes, snowmachine's, and mountain bikes.

Members who have read this thread: 0