Happy Breakup- Mtbr.com

Thread: Happy Breakup

Caveman

Happy Breakup

Just wanted to say that a a rigid singlespeed, fenders, platform pedals and extra-toughs make for the ultimate in zero-maintance Alaska breakup cycling fun. Hope everybody is getting increadibly psyched for some dirt!
    Eric

Jun 2003

How about...

Quote Originally Posted by Bearbait
    Just wanted to say that a a rigid singlespeed, fenders, platform pedals and extra-toughs make for the ultimate in zero-maintance Alaska breakup cycling fun. Hope everybody is getting increadibly psyched for some dirt!
    Eric
    5/6" travel, 8"rotors, 5th coil, blah blah...

Happy breakup. I am looking forward to more powerline action.
    I only have room for 1 at a time right now. Gemini it is. I just took off the 296's in favor of the 2.5" wolf's.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Pat's ride cut short

Sorry boys, but I only made it 36 miles into a 520 miler from Deadhorse to Skinny Dick's. I went down 3 times on hard, rutted glare ice and turned around after I almost went down again. And I had a stud on the front!
    The Arctic coastal plane is no place to brake a colar bone, so with much disappointment, I returned to Deadhorse and skarfed on the 24/7 buffet at the Prudoe Bay Motel!
    Can anyone tell me how packed snow melts at 20 above, only to refreeze into hard, rutted glare ice? Was very much like the Lake Otis bike path a few weeks ago. Sucked!
    I'll try again this summer or fall if anyone cares to join me.
    Cheers, Pat
    summer is here dammit!

Caveman

geeezee

Pat sorry to hear that, I didnt know you were serious when you mentioned it a few weeks back. How was the wind? Looking foreword to hearing more about it. I bet everyone at deadhorse was wondering what the hell someone was doing biking down the haul road!
    Congradulations on the attempt regardless.
    Eric

Caveman

geeezee

Pat sorry to hear that, I didnt know you were serious when you mentioned it a few weeks back. How was the wind? Looking foreword to hearing more about it. I bet everyone at deadhorse was wondering what the hell someone was doing biking down the haul road!
    Eric

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

30mph crosswind

Quote Originally Posted by Bearbait
    Eric
    It was sort of windy, but could have been much worse. At 5 below that left a winchill of 30 below, which isn't bad except the wind has a way of finding your flesh in a hurry. But the temps were not an issue.
    As for the folks in Deadhorse, they didn't even bat an eye. I think they're so close to the edge anyway, a biker doesn't even register. I can't wait to go back. Are you game?
    Pat