Gull rock trail- Mtbr.com

Thread: Gull rock trail

mtbr member

Gull rock trail

Anyone had a look at it lately? Melting, melted, muddy, or covered in blow down?

Thanks!
    To prepare for a race there is nothing better than a good pheasant, some champagne and a woman.

Bikes are good
    I was HOPING you'd say "I rode it and it was dusty."
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50 View Post
    I was HOPING you'd say "I rode it and it was dusty."
    Sorry to get your hopes up. I might have to take a trip there this weekend and scout it out. Take skis and bikes and see which one wins I suppose. I'm a bit tired of riding the gird to bird. Ahhh transition season.....
    Last edited by bigskyguy; 04-19-2014 at 02:23 PM.
    To prepare for a race there is nothing better than a good pheasant, some champagne and a woman.

Bikes are good
    Yeah. I always get chubby this time of year.

Wtf?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    So, do I hear Bird to Gird is rideable? On a road bike? Thanks.

mtbr member

Gull rock trail

Bird to gird is good to go. There was only one small patch of snow on Tuesday but I'd bet it's melted now. State park pulled the closure signs on Wednesday.

Sent from headquarters.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Rode with my fatty on Friday. Melted but many soft muddy sections still. Large downed tree near the top of the connector to trailhead parking. Otherwise good riding for April.

Elitest thrill junkie
    How does one ride this, out of Hope? Sounds like it might be fun to try tomorrow...

Edit: Yep, appears to be where I thought. Anyone want to do this?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update tkmmbean.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Saw another rider out there with a fat bike. Later, what seemed to be a family on skinny bikes. Conditions are not good for skinny bikes, so I wonder how that went.

Shouldn't take too long to dry out a little more. As is, there's a lot of great trail and fat-bikes are starting to iron out some of the ruts. Far better than the trails around Anc right now. Was well worth the drive.
    Gull rock trail-img_0779.jpgGull rock trail-img_0795.jpgGull rock trail-img_0794.jpgGull rock trail-img_0790.jpgGull rock trail-img_0786.jpgGull rock trail-img_0784.jpgGull rock trail-img_0781.jpgGull rock trail-img_0780.jpgGull rock trail-img_0799.jpg
    Last edited by Jayem; 04-27-2014 at 06:50 PM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bigskyguy View Post
    Thanks for the update tkmmbean.
    No problem. I agree with Jayem (nice pics too) much better riding than in town, but I would wait a week or two before bringing a sub 4" tire bike or you will be putting in some serious ruts.
    Great trail, just wish it was a bit longer and a bit closer. It would be really cool if the trail could wrap all the way around the mountains. future STA project?

mtbr member

Gull rock trail

Nice pics Jayem! Thanks.

Sent from headquarters.

Bikes are good
    Yeah that's a cool trail. Rode fat bike at Kepler yesterday. Singletracks are dry as a bone, ski trails connecting things are a mess still though.

mtbr member

Gull rock trail

That's good to hear Elfbkr. Are the trails dry enough for 2.3" tires? I've never ridden out that way but the wife and I sure would like to ride some singletrack. Thanks!

Sent from headquarters.

Bikes are good
    Yeah. The singletrack from the matanuska lake parking lot is pretty good. Very few wet sections that aren't going to rut up. Not a ton of trail, but you can weave your way around in there to get some miles done. The ski trails that take you over to Crevasse Moraine are not dry at all though. There were lots of tracks on them that I'm sure were close to 4-6 inches deep. No bueno. I get lost every time I ride out there. Pay attention to your turns, and familiarize yourself with the signs. Best to double back on trails you know are good as it would be easy to end up in the middle of a bunch of wet stuff. Good luck. Heading out to Gull rock one of these days after work.

mtbr member
    Jayem, what's that blue stuff on your bike?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    What's the status at gull rock trail? Im thinking of going today. Never been there so anyone feel free to give direction

Elitest thrill junkie
    How was it? Considering taking the FS bike.

mtbr member
    rode it today with my gf on our fatbikes. first time for us being on that trail. conditions were 98% dry with a few stream crossings and a few soft spots. Cant imagine it could get any drier. No blowdown (thanks to those who've been out there with a chainsaw). I lack proficient bike skills and parts (b/t mile 2.5-4.5) were tough... lots of rocks and roots to negotiate....and the bike riding turned into more of a walk-a-bike. It was fun though, great day, dry trail, minimal people. Good times!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I agree with smthgfshy. Rocky uphills kicked my butt. Where did you park your vehicle? Couldn't find the campsite host but parked at a camp site anyways..

Elitest thrill junkie
    Gull rock trail-image.jpgYep, just rode it, tons of fun, primo conditions! Skinny bikes are good.
    Last edited by Jayem; 05-12-2014 at 05:06 PM.

mtbr member
    In the closest campsite parking. Campground is still officially closed = no host or fees.

mtbr member

Gull rock trail

Jayem, do you drive a black camaro? Saw you headed towards Hope today. Sweet ride(s). Thanks for the update on the trail. Winner creek trail is good to go and the hand tram has the bike hooks installed. Trail is in good shape. Rode a nice 14 mile loop here in Gwood last night. Started on winner creek extension, then a short bit of the Nordic loop to skip the no bike section of winner creek, then winner creek and across the hand tram, then the crow creek side of winner creek, onto the Iditarod trail, then California creek trail, and finally finishing on the super rooty beaver pond trail that spits you out onto the gird to bird paved path. Good bit of everything covered on that route.

Sent from headquarters.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I'm sure there's lots of other people in AK with black camaro SSs with bike racks.

Sweet, bike hooks!

mtbr member

Gull rock trail

Yeah I know what you mean. The camaro is becoming quite the popular mtn bike transporter. I see it surpassing the Subaru and tacoma soon. 😉

Sent from headquarters.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bigskyguy View Post
    Jayem, do you drive a black camaro? Saw you headed towards Hope today. Sweet ride(s). Thanks for the update on the trail. Winner creek trail is good to go and the hand tram has the bike hooks installed. Trail is in good shape. Rode a nice 14 mile loop here in Gwood last night. Started on winner creek extension, then a short bit of the Nordic loop to skip the no bike section of winner creek, then winner creek and across the hand tram, then the crow creek side of winner creek, onto the Iditarod trail, then California creek trail, and finally finishing on the super rooty beaver pond trail that spits you out onto the gird to bird paved path. Good bit of everything covered on that route.

Sent from headquarters.
    Where is winner creek???

sluice box
    Quote Originally Posted by SYCOA View Post
    Where is winner creek???
    Just below the Challenge AK building. Verbier Way and Crystal Mt Road for the Winner creek extension that paralles Arlberg Ave up to the hotel. Drops you off at Ally, then work around the no bike section of Winner creek trail that is under the tram and behind chair 7 by taking the New Nordic loop, then take Winner Creek to Crow Creek Road not the Berry Pass or the Cat Road you have options, Iditarod Trail parallels Crow Creek Road or you can work your way back to the school or Beaver pond trail that is North before the double musky.
    Big Sky I was the dirtbag in carharts trying to ride a fatback on the beaver pond trail. The better ridding was up by the Musky.

Bikes are good
    Winner Creek North is a way cool ride too, but probably a mess for a while still. One of my favorites actually. Riding that, then back across the hand tram and up to Crow pass is a good day.