GPRA Single Track Status- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

GPRA Single Track Status

Last night (12/4) went up to GPRA to check out the single track and...bummer. About a foot of snow or so with no tracks at all. Tried riding it, but it was pretty pointless - about three different layers of snow - powder on powder on icy crust over denser powder. If it had just been the first two layers of light powder over a hard base it would have been awesome. But, alas, no.

I may end up there this evening with the Jetsled and some weights to try building a bit of a base - depends on how tired and motivated I am. Would love to have it a bit ridable for Fatbike day. PM me if you're at all interested in a packing party!

mtbr member
    What time this evening? I might be available depending on what time I get back from anc. This afternoon.

mtbr member
    If I head up there it will probably be around 6 or so.

mtbr member

GPRA Single Track Status

Jake I'm going to be there Saturday at 11 for the Nordic race and was planning to ride. Wanna meet up and pack it in some?

mtbr member
    I did make it up there last night somewhat late and 'shooed a section of trail. Dogwalkers have beat down a crude, lumpy path so the trail is broke in to a degree when I got there.

IMO the trail needs riders to push, pull or ride their snowbikes to establish some solid tracks on whats been started. The first 1/2 mi. of the single track is rather tough because of the dog traffic, but it gets better the further up you go.

Matt, not sure if I'm available at 11 but keep one eye out for me. Either I'll be on time or not there at all.

mtbr member

GPRA Single Track Status

Jake and I packed it in today. Should be good riding tomorrow

FatBike Fiend
    Mat Su Ski Club groomed it this afternoon with their tracked ATV, at least the lower trail. Should be good in the morning.

mtbr member

GPRA Single Track Status

I heard it running around and wasn't sure if I should be happy or bummed as we just did our best to manually pack it in. Haha oh well it was fun

FatBike Fiend
    Yep, I was up there too doing more pushing than riding. Guess I'll have to cough up some $$ for a trail pin. Should be fun tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Finally got to get up there today and the grooming was nice, but the trails still need more traffic to further condense stuff down and then some freezing temps to harden it up. In did see a few other cyclists while I was out, so it should be getting there.

Sorry I didn't make it out Friday as planned. Got caught up with some work stuff.

mtbr member
    Just got back from GPRA and Dave was just getting started grooming and mentioned he was going to try hitting the upper trail as well as the lower. The lower has a nice firm base from riding it in last week along with the traffic over the weekend. If we get some good cold temps tonight to set the groom up it could make for some great riding tomorrow. I plan on being out there again around 10 to ride it, so we'll see.

mtbr member
    At GPRA right now and the trail seems nicely set up. From the weather report I'd say come get it before it turns to luge track with the forecasted rain.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the continued trail reports bp

Idk where all the other fat bikers are this time of year cuz there don't seem to be as many tire marks out on the trails as one would expect. I'm thinking some of us didn't get our tickets to Hawaii from Santa again this year so we're stuck packing trail in the dark while the rest of the fat biking community are away working on their tan lines. ;-)

mtbr member

GPRA Single Track Status

Busted. Sorry. I'm back now and going to ride somewhere today.

mtbr member

GPRA Single Track Status

Trails survived the rain. About an inch of new snow on top of hard pack. Great riding.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update. I just went to the river park and it was crap. Luge track all the way. I'll be heading GPRA way tomorrow AM I think.

mtbr member
    Just got back and the riding is great. Probably the best in the valley right now. Rode both upper and lower loops and the upper is ridable, but narrow packed, so a bit slow and the corners are tight. Lower is bomber with few slick spots. Really beautiful weather and scenery for riding today. Good times.

mtbr member
    Heading up to GPRA in about an hour or so here for a moonlight ride. Looks like good conditions again. The Backcountry crew were up there earlier today and said it was good riding. Good times...

FatBike Fiend
    Wow, rode it this morning, very fun. Lower loop is fast and swoopy and the upper one is kind of narrow and challenging as evidenced by a few obvious snow angels in the snow along the trail. Thanks for packing in the upper loop, whoever did it.

mtbr member
    I can neither confirm nor deny possible snow angles on the upper trail. I will say its skinny!

mtbr member
    Just hit up GPRA this afternoon and the trails were great overall. The water crossing on the lower track has frozen over and was hella slick. I busted up the ice a bit and threw down some snow to try to get a bit of texture on the surface, but... we'll see how that works out. The upper track was nice and ridable still, but the edges are soft. With the colder temps the lower track has gotten buffed out and slick in some of the corners, so be aware of that. Overall, great times. Alas, tomorrow it's back to the work a day world for me, so no more daily excursions to check out the riding in the valley. I do have a week longer until I start teaching again, so I might be able to sneak in some night rides...

mtbr member

GPRA Single Track Status

Upper trail now groomed like lower. Little soft here and there but good.

FatBike Fiend
    Upper trail still a bit punchy today but fun anyway. Lower trail is hard and fast.

mtbr member

GPRA Single Track Status

Very hard and fast trails today starting to get icy studs were definitely welcome

FatBike Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by alaskamatt View Post
    Very hard and fast trails today starting to get icy studs were definitely welcome
    Thanks for the update, sounds like Mat Su Ski Club closed the ski trails due to skinny/warm conditions but kept MTB trails open. From what I've heard Jim Creek/Mud Lake is excellent riding with studded tires on the frozen creek and lakes and Willow still has good snow conditions and recently groomed trails.

mtbr member

GPRA Single Track Status

Great trails today. Ice here and there but not bad.

mtbr member
    Rode the trails earlier today. All hardpacked with a few spots of ice.

Wasnt all that exciting. Couldn't get any speed going on the decent without slipping.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Rode there today before heading over to the ITI start. Nice 1-2" of fresh snow. Lots of fun. I like your berms.

GPRA Single Track Status-img_1360s.jpgGPRA Single Track Status-img_1363s.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    anybody got out they're this week? TryIf to decide whether to make te trek from anchorage this weekend