Good Touring tyres for mountain bikes?- Mtbr.com

Dec 2006

Good Touring tyres for mountain bikes?

Howdy all was realising Iam not going to get a chance to finish my LHT in the coming weeks so Iam going to take my Hardrock down possibly next week for a century or something I got some real knobby tyres on at the moment I looked at Schwalbe but don't think I want to turn over that much cash for an occasional 2-3 day tour... anyone try Michelin? I saw this really sweet 26 inch tyre not sure if its Continental or Michelin but I think the name is globe tracker or something like that... Also was wondering if anyone has had problems with the Nokian folding studded tyre? it seems like that one gets less complaints.

Happy Finals week everyone

"Regardless of what happens the semester is over in 7 days whether you want it to or not!"
    K.Narang

Grillin' & Chillin'

Touring Tires for MTB

I've done two long tours on my Giant NRS MTB. I used the Bontrager Select Invert K tire. I was really pleased with their performance. They have a good low rolling resistance and are fairly puncture resistant with the Kevlar lined casing. On one of the tours I rode 2,000 miles and only had two flats. One from a thorn and one from a tiny piece of wire from a blown out steel belted radial.

http://bontrager.com/model/00449/en
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grill Meister
    "There were never any good old days
    They are today, they are tomorrow
    "
    - Gogol Bordello

Dec 2006
    Thanks for that speedsk8 it looks like a sweet tire... I use the innertubes and those are pretty sweet...

Diaskeuast
    I've been using IRC Metro slicks on my commuter for two or three years. They have some side groves for displacing water, but no inverted tread for gravel surfaces. I think they'd be great for a tour on paved roads with occasional hard-packed gravel sections.
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    I have a set of Continental Town & Country in 26 x 2.1 on my beer bike. I don't tour very far on them...maybe to Cafe Amsterdam or a real long ride to La Bodega. Real nice tread if you throw gravel in the mix.

http://www.conti-online.com/generato...ountry_en.html

Caveman
    the schwabbles are the bomb if you decide to spend the $$ - marathon XR's.

will last you about a decade or two doing what you describe

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by speedsk8_ak
    I've done two long tours on my Giant NRS MTB. I used the Bontrager Select Invert K tire. I was really pleased with their performance. They have a good low rolling resistance and are fairly puncture resistant with the Kevlar lined casing. On one of the tours I rode 2,000 miles and only had two flats. One from a thorn and one from a tiny piece of wire from a blown out steel belted radial.

i'll second this. i've used them for quite a bit of touring and they were great. not too bad on dry trails either.

Dec 2006
    I agree Bear but I use the Schwalbe did I misspell it or you? at anyrate I don't think an occasional century ride justifies the 45 dollar tyre if I can get a similar tyre for a lesser price... I have pretty much narrowed my choice down to Continental and Bontrager.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by speedsk8_ak

Thats good to hear ! I just bought a set of these for my 29er to use for summer commuting . As soon as it quits snowing I may actually get to try them out !

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by elgeneralsv
    I agree Bear but I use the Schwalbe did I misspell it or you? at anyrate I don't think an occasional century ride justifies the 45 dollar tyre if I can get a similar tyre for a lesser price... I have pretty much narrowed my choice down to Continental and Bontrager.

on that note, i chose continental 2.1 town and country tires when i rode across the 48. with a heavy load the bigger volume was certainly appreciated.

Members who have read this thread: 0