Good riding along frozen mudflats in Anch- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Good riding along frozen mudflats in Anch

FYI: On Jan. 7 I rode from Pt. Woronzoff, around Pt. Campbell (Kincaid Park) to Oceanview along the mudflats. The conditions are excellent - ice is very smooth and firm everywhere. Minimal walking to get across the Campbell Creek estuary (at Campbell Lake). No problems crossing the minor water channels - we went at low tide and there was no water evident. We went down the bluff from the bike path past the treatment plant, a few steps past the first bench. Expedition ended at the neighborhood park at the end of Coral Lane in Oceanview. Missed the path that leads you from the open flats through the vegetation, so we had to bushwack a bit. If you can spot the house next to the park, you should ride past it, more than you think. The ice is good for ice skating as well. Have a great time out there ! PS This ride is for studded tires only.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Today I hopped on the ice at Lynn Ary park and headed south. Smooth ice for a couple of miles, until you get under the bluffs around Pt. Woronzof. After about half a mile's worth of carrying/rolling the bike through downed trees, the beach becomes rideable, although it's slow going picking your way through the rubble.

Once you gain the Coastal Refuge, it's smooth riding from there. I only had time to go the beach below Kincaid before pushing back up the bluff and head home via the Coastal Trail.

Bikes are good
    Cool. Getting in the sun this time of year is great. Nice pics.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Has anyone rode the frozen flats from Kincaid heading south? If so, how far did you go?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Yes, we rode to Oceanview Bluff Park on Reef Circle. It's a little tricky to spot this park from the coast unless you know what to look for - a greenish house and behind it, in the distance, the straight line of the railroad track that seemingly points right to the house. The bushes extend out from land quite a bit out here. You have to go beyond this green house before going inland. There is a tree root/stump at the trail that leads from the mudflats to the park and I marked it with pink surveyor's tape. Today at Potter Marsh there was 1-2" of snow with large areas swept free, I imagine the flats could be in the same condition - if so, ride-able with studs.

Also, you must walk across the Campbell Lake estuary. It's in good condition now - firm, not so soft. Last Saturday two guys were able to cross the creek (it's jumbled ice blocks with running water). I went inland - head for the small "house" on the shoreline. It's a municipal water facility. Look for the way up to the driveway and around the back of that facility. Technically, private land, but who cares - all that was rebuilt with PUBLIC money after Campbell Lake drained following dam collapse. At any rate, you'll see tracks of previous travellers.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    [QUOTE=IvyFriday]Yes, we rode to Oceanview Bluff Park on Reef Circle. It's a little tricky to spot this park from the coast unless you know what to look for - a greenish house and behind it, in the distance, the straight line of the railroad track that seemingly points right to the house. The bushes extend out from land quite a bit out here. You have to go beyond this green house before going inland. There is a tree root/stump at the trail that leads from the mudflats to the park and I marked it with pink surveyor's tape. Today at Potter Marsh there was 1-2" of snow with large areas swept free, I imagine the flats could be in the same condition - if so, ride-able with studs.

Also, you must walk across the Campbell Lake estuary. It's in good condition now - firm, not so soft. Last Saturday two guys were able to cross the creek (it's jumbled ice blocks with running water). I went inland - head for the small "house" on the shoreline. It's a municipal water facility. Look for the way up to the driveway and around the back of that facility. Technically, private land, but who cares - all that was rebuilt with PUBLIC money after Campbell Lake drained following dam collapse. At any rate, you'll see tracks of previous travellers.[/QUOTE

I know exactly where Oceanview bluff park is. If I get out there soon, I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the detailed reply.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Rode from Oceanview Bluff Park yesterday (Friday 1/21/11) and it was "okay" but no better. It is always a pleasure to be out there, but with the new snow and warm temps the riding is not great. The flats where the tide does not reach are snow covered reasonable riding unless you hit drifts or the areas where the snow has not adhered to the ice at all. Riding on the edge of the tide line is better but with the warm temps the saltwater slush does not freeze very quickly so there are numerous soft spots and in places it is mostly slush. Two of us went, one on a fatbike and the other on studs - either is fine. A worthy adventure, but it may be worth waiting for the next deep freeze to ride out there.
    Last edited by Stroganof; 01-22-2011 at 09:47 AM.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    I too did this ride a week or so ago. Riding was great!!! Just a few pics...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

20mile river mud flats and kincaid

sweet riding with a few soft spots...

Members who have read this thread: 0