Good Riddance SSWC14- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Good Riddance SSWC14

It was fun and all until after partying all Friday night and still not a peep about stuff you do on bikes. For a $100 I could have camped out on the Kenai all weekend and ridden every bit of trail there. That would have been more fun and a better use of my time than hanging out with DJ's groupies and waiting for word on high. I have to wonder if the guy held the event in Alaska since he has been run out of every other state and nobody knows him here. Should have been called Single Speed World give me $100 so I can party with your money in Alaska Championships.

mtbr member

Good Riddance SSWC14

Yeah that's about what I heard. Glad I didn't tear a bike down and take off work.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by polarflux View Post
    For a $100 I could have camped out on the Kenai all weekend
    Naw, it was only $12/night. Lots of fish tho.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Not sure totally what went down it is somewhat hazy. I know I rode down Spenard Road at 4 am in a 1970s Tux, in 35+ years in AK I can say I havenít done that. Seems like AK got caught in some sort of SS struggle to prove or define what a real single speeder is. Since none of us knew what to expect anyway or what was normal we rolled with it and tried to make sure that the course was good and fun. I think Ryan, Greg and The Speedway boys & Jaymen from Bicycle Shop Diond stepped up big and made it happen especially after losing a great friend to us all in Jeff on Saturday morning. I had a great time at the Carousel crazy party, got to meet a lot of really cool folks from all over the world. Whether people got pissed because of the lack of info or race times and did not show up. Everyone I talked to and everyone that has commented on FB has said we have amazing trails and has had a fabulous time riding their bike in AK. I think the goal overall was just to get exposure for how great the biking and the bike community is in Alaska. I know it has set a whole new standard for what you can get away with in a bike event and not get arrested or shut down by MOA. I got my $100 bucks worth.
    Chad

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Okay, having done 9 of the previous 14 years SSWC events, I see them as a great way to ride in new areas, meet likeminded people, ride bikes and drink beer

A long time ago I realised they are not a race, more big party with a bike ride thrown in, over the years you see the local "race heads" turn up and expect to win some World Wide honour, previous years have seen the elite of the elite turn up and race with the right attitude and go away with a tattoo

So did Dejay get it right or wrong is a personal choice I guess, I travelled 7000 miles, spent nearly $2000 and had a great time, I met a whole new group of people and saw a lot of familiar faces. I rode some great trails, drank some great beer, quite a lot to be honest and got about 3 hours sleep most nights for a week...

Okay, maybe it was a little "dis-jointed" at times, but its a big town, and trying to get a singlespeeder full of beer to do anything is like herding cats!

Bring on Japan, a whole new experience, whether you think it's right or wrong

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

Total phuckn fraud..

I saw Jesus .... Then he said "don't phuck with the Jesus." He was a fraud. Saw Abe Lincoln .... What a dick. He was a fraud, too. Saw a lot of frauds. The only person I saw that got a rise out of me was Jane Fonda.... That pink on black leotard with the leg warmers could make a dead man come. If you know what I mean.....

Anyway, I was there on Sunday to spectate, not being too impressed by the SS bunch, was ultimately pizzed off because I had to share my awesome trails with a bunch of mouth breathing progressive phuck heads who phuckn painted up all the trails and left beer cans all over the phuckn place!! Phuckn savages I say. I conclude that the whole affair was a total fraud... Fraud... Fraud!!! ...and not to mention there were more dudes present than comic-con 1997... More sausage than the Oscar Meyer convention. Ladies, beware of these pervs... What a **** show American males have become (along with those of the rest of the world).

Conclusion.... It was a total fraud.... I would have givin it a solid C- if the race was actually a race. Come on ... Take one day out of the debauchery and make a good old fashion race out of it. Some level of seriousness would have been nice. Some "blood and guts" left on the trail would have been somewhat redeeming. Maybe I'm asking too much from the millennials.... Just like those I work with. Sad.

Additionally, Not too shocked to see a bunch of trust-funders act this way (saw more titanium last weekend than on a SR-71). A bunch of rich kids with nothing better to do with mommy and daddy's money. What a shame. Youth wasted... In literal terms. Take that passion for beer and ***** and put it to good use. And phuckn shave that **** off your face...you look like a species of sub humans!

To Those people and shops who openly endorsed this crap show should be summarily flogged in public until near death... Or until they see Jesus. I know who you are and will not do business with you... Unless I'm desperate. This is Alaska..... Give some respect you phuckn *******s!!

And before you respond that I don't get it and never will.... I say go phuck yourselves. I've been riding mountain bikes since 1985 and commute nearly daily.

Regards,

The EndUser (... And yes... I've returned from the bowels of the earth)
    My advice and $3 will buy you nothing more than a tunafish sandwich

The devil is an angel too
    Mar 2005
    Jesus doesn't remember saying that. But Jesus was also fond of Fonda.

Bikes are good
    I was in Whistler during this week, which is my preferred type of riding than SS anything, but I'm sorry I missed it for 1 of 2 reasons. Not sure which one to go with yet. 1 being to see the $hit show, or 2 being here to experience a new event on our rad new trails over there. Still can't tell. Whistler was rad. $hit show and all. When you can leave there without yer arm in a sling, yer doin good.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by EndUser View Post

To Those people and shops who openly endorsed this crap show should be summarily flogged in public until near death... Or until they see Jesus. I know who you are and will not do business with you... Unless I'm desperate. This is Alaska..... Give some respect you phuckn *******s!!

And before you respond that I don't get it and never will.... I say go phuck yourselves. I've been riding mountain bikes since 1985 and commute nearly daily.
    Wow. I mean, the SSWC is maybe not my cup of tea and all, but damn. I sincerely hope I never have the pleasure of riding with EndUser or someone like him/her. I envision the ride being dominated by this person finding fault in absolutely everything possible. This is probably the person that sends their coffee back because "it's not exactly 153.4 degrees, you phucking millennial piece of s***!!! And I would know, because I have been drinking coffee since 1985 and drink it every day!!"

yeesh.
    -Ride it like you stole it

mtbr member
    On another note, the Hatcher Pass Mile 16 downhill trail was excellent yesterday. More trails like that, please! My cycling life continues on in spite of this weekend's uni gear failathon. Really, I just want my tee shirt. The hat would have been OK, too.

BK1
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I really want to apologize to anyone who couldn't figure out what sswc was going to be. I do want to know how anyone who can use an online bike forum could have trouble with the google. Seemed pretty easy to know what it was gonna smell like, and where it was gonna be smelt at.

I've heard a lot of talk about pulling off a SS Anchorage next year. Sounds stinky.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by polarflux View Post
    On another note, the Hatcher Pass Mile 16 downhill trail was excellent yesterday.
    I've been wanting to try that.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    For a 100 bucks I could have bought my own schwag and a lot of beer and felt a lot better about it. The 100 bucks was buying expectations. I'f I'd know that I was buying $3 of substance and $97 of bs I would have reconsidered handing over my cash.