Global Fat Bike Day Anchorage!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Global Fat Bike Day Anchorage!!

Hey folks some of you already know this through FB. Global Fat bike day is gonna be december 6th this year. In celebration there will be a group ride to celebrate starting from westchester lagoon. Ride details and start time are to be determined at the moment. We are hoping that we can trump last years attendance number although last year was pretty darn good considering the not so perfect weather and trail conditions. This is an event for all people to come and enjoy.

So come on Alaska since we are the mecca for fat bikes lets make sure we have the biggest group gathering for Global Fatbike Day!

mtbr member
    I'll post this on Bike Me Anchorage! Meet-up and also let Bike Anchorage know....

thanks!

mtbr member
    Any idea of time?

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Not yet, we are still in the planning stages. Last year the start was around 6pm if I recall?

mtbr member
    Thanks guys....keep me posted. You know where to find me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Are helmets required?

mtbr member

Why wouldn't you.

Quote Originally Posted by Eatingvirginia View Post
    Are helmets required?
    If the trail is half as icy as last year you wouldn't want to be without. I had a lot of fun last year.Global Fat Bike Day Anchorage!!-image.jpg
    "but you are a jerk, google it!" anonymous negative feedback 09-18-2012 09:07 AM Keep is positive folks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Helmets aren't required but as always recommended. As mentioned last years icy conditions made them a good idea. One other thing I would like to throw out there. If you are thinking of coming out and not current on what most people consider a fat bike something 4" or larger tires don't let that deter you. If you are on a mountain bike or a bike equipped with snowcats please do feel welcome to join. This is meant to be open to all riders. After all original mountain bikes were considered fat tire bikes anyways! As Jordy mentioned we are probably gonna be shooting for a start time around 6 in the evening on the 6th. See you all there!

sluice box
    Quote Originally Posted by murphy87 View Post
    snip.... One other thing I would like to throw out there. If you are thinking of coming out and not current on what most people consider a fat bike something 4" or larger tires don't let that deter you. If you are on a mountain bike or a bike equipped with snowcats please do feel welcome to join. snip....!
    Yup last year on my single speed half fat on snowcats worked well for the route. Hope to see you all again this GFBD.

mtbr member
    Looks like we could be double last year's rider count. At least that is what I'm seeing between GFBD FaceBook page and Bike Me Anchorage! meet-up. Is it posted anywhere else? Now, let's just get some snow.....
    My bike takes me places school never could...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    FB, bike me anchorage and this forum are where we posted the event to. After that we are relying on word of mouth. Somehow the word finds its way around cause last year when chatting with people about how they heard of the event I was shocked how many responded with answers other than through FB and mtbr. We will be doing a little announcement about the event the week of on the channel 11 day break show. All this said if you think there is somewhere else the information can be shared then by all means please do.

mtbr member
    We have a Bike Anchorage board meeting on Tuesday and I'll ask for it to be posted on the FB page.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Ok folks so the details you have all been waiting for. The ride will start from West Chester Lagoon around 7. The group ride will head east on the chester creek trail towards the hillside with many chances to branch off on single track that will re-connect with the bike trail. The ride will continue on the chester creek trail making its way across northern lights and through the university/ medical center area again taking chances to ride more single track along the way. Once back on the bike trail the ride will head across the tudor overpass onto the tour trail and make a shorter loop on some campbell creek science center single tracks. Trails will most likely include blue dot, moose tracks, lynx, birch meadow, Speedway, moose meadow, lower rovers, salmon run and continuing along the tour trail back to westchester. The loop through the campbell tract trails can be done in either direction its up to you! The single tracks that turn off the chester creek trail and the tour trail will be marked come the day of the ride. We will announce what kind of marks to look for because weather may dictate one form of marker over another (marking paint on the snow vs flagging) come ride time.

I would like to stress the listed route is only a loose guideline. If you are not comfortable with any of these single track off shoots sticking to the bike path as well as the tour and larger trails like moose tracks is just fine and continuing on your way towards campbell creek science center is another option. The great part about doing that is you will most likely be constantly riding with fellow fat bikers on the way. The ride is meant to be about having some fun and be done at mellow conversation speed. The route listed above should be largely doable for some within an 1.5-2 hour range however please do not feel like you must do the entire length of route in that time. Ride as much of the route as you can and make sure to be back at the lagoon by 9 ish for the swag give away. Be sure to bring some additional warm layers so you can be comfortable while hanging around post ride. Also be sure to stash some snacks and beverages of your choice in your packs for post ride (or during the ride) up to you really.

If you plan to drive to the event please consider there is pretty limited parking near the lagoon so you may want to consider parking at west high school and riding down the hill to the lagoon for the start. There will also be a group ride coming from the short track race at cuddy park for anyone coming from the race to the group ride. If there is anything that is still unclear please don't be afraid to ask and Jordan or I one will be able to get questions answered. Thank you all and I can't wait to ride with all of you come saturday!

mtbr member
    Good job on the morning show guys! Looking forward to the ride Saturday.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Would rather be out riding!

It's not just about a bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Good Job Guys!
    Jordan and Kevin representing the fatbiking community

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The 7PM Global Fat Tire Celebration will occur at West Chester Lagoon ! The Fat Tire Celebration will involve an awesome nocturnal ride (ride at your own pace) to and from some of the most awesome winter snow biking trails Anchorage has to offer!
    The rides will return to the East Chester Lagoon parking lot.
    The revered iconic snaux biking totem, the Fabulous Frigid Bits Burn Barrell, will make an appearance to spread warmth and joy to all those who are sober enough to enjoy its hawtness ! Please feel free to bring some culinary delights to cook over the stately icon of fun, bike riding and beer consumption ! Rumor has it that Thirsty Work will donate some beer !
    You don't have to ride to celebrate the Global Fat Tire Phenom !

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Alaska had to have blasted GFBD into the new day! What started as 14x fatbiker group ride up Chester Creek Trail, turned into at least 195 folks ending at the Fabulous Frigid Bits Burn Barrel! We closed the Lagoon down around 1am. So many to thank. Pics and more to come!!!

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    140+ strong fatbikers at West Chester Lagoon!

Global Fat Bike Day Anchorage!!-fatbike20146dec.jpg
    Photo By: James Mason

Global Fat Bike Day Anchorage!!-fatbikesak02.jpg

Global Fat Bike Day Anchorage!!-fatbikesak01.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I had a great time, thanks for putting this on.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Tons of fun! Great that we have stuff like this going on. Riders of all types out there!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.