Glen Alps decent- Mtbr.com

Feb 2007

Glen Alps decent

Just back from a ride up the powerline trail from Glen Alps. Pretty good riding for the most part. The start is kind of bumpy from ruts & postholes, but mostly smooth after 1k or so. Up towards the S gully there is wind drifted snow and it starts getting a little punchy. I turned back just before the S gully. The crust is not firm enough to ride other than on the trail - but there were lots of skate skiers buzzing up & down the valley so it must be good for skis. It has just barely been freezing overnight - so it is probably a good idea to check the mesonet at http://pafc.arh.noaa.gov/mesonet.php before you launch.

let's ride...
    Dec 2006
    I tried to ride from powerline to hilltop on Friday afternoon with another forum member. I have to stress the tried part. It was just two warm and it frankly sucked. I've never shuttled up a mountain to push a bike back to the road. We probably walked 95% of the trail. The best riding was once we pulled out at Prospect Heights. Perhaps if you get their early in the morning before the sun has hit the snowpack and the temps warm..

..good luck. I'll wait a couple of more weeks before I try it again...

Jun 2003

where?

I dont think those trails are open to cycling yet.

Feb 2007

Closed?

At the moment the trails are either frozen hard or rotten clear through - but as long as you ride when they are frozen hard the trails are still fair game aren't they?

let's ride...
    Dec 2006
    My understanding is that if trails are frozen or dry, no one should give you a hard time. Wet, muddy trails are fun, but of course it irritates everyone later in the season when they are massively rutted.

At the moment, the Glen Alps area is frozen. And miserable. It will probably be two or three weeks (wishful thinking?) before they are rideable again.

I made the same descent about three weeks ago. It wasn't easy, but it was a lot of fun. At that time, there was still a good snow pack...

Mar 2007
    I'm confused about when we are allowed to bike the trails as well. I know Kincaid is closed to Mt. biking until June 1 (It's always posted), but as far as multi-use trails go, I had always heard June 1 as the date to "legally ride" municipal trails. I checked the website and this is what it says:

MULTI-USE TRAILS - These are trails that can be used for biking, walking, running, rollerblading, etc.

"General Rules on the Trail

Respect Sensitive Trail Conditions, Horses Damage Soft and Muddy Trails... Please avoid earthen trails during muddy, soft ground conditions. The tracks you leave behind will be there all season. Trail use may be limited in the spring and fall seasons."

So how do you know if a trail is officially open or not?

Feb 2007

Don't Leave Tracks . . .

The general rule is that you can ride anytime on snow/ice packed trails that are open to bikes in the summer. Once the snow and/or ice are no longer sufficient to protect the trails they are closed until June 1. That said, if the trails are hard & dry prior to June 1 lots of folks are out there - and if they are wet & soggy after June 1 it is best to stay off them until they are dry.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kgrlaw00
    The general rule is that you can ride anytime on snow/ice packed trails that are open to bikes in the summer. Once the snow and/or ice are no longer sufficient to protect the trails they are closed until June 1. That said, if the trails are hard & dry prior to June 1 lots of folks are out there - and if they are wet & soggy after June 1 it is best to stay off them until they are dry.

Someone needs to build an indoor bike park! http://www.raysmtb.com/

One of those bubble domes you see popping up around town. Might not be the same as a trail, but would sure beat concrete........

Members who have read this thread: 0