Glacier Ride and Nome Video- Mtbr.com
    Bill M

Glacier Ride and Nome Video

Last weekend a few of us "Valley Folks" headed up to the Knik Glacier for an overnight. After negotiating a bit of sketchy ice and overflow and getting some feet wet when we went in over the top of our NEOS we had a great time riding, high marking pressure ridges and playing on the ice in front of the headwall. Definitely a studded tire kinda ride. Word is it would be difficult if not impossible to access the glacier from the Hunter Creek side since much of the River is open after the Chinook winds that blew through. We explored over near the gorge heading up into Lake George until the sound of running water under our feet turned us around. Here's a few pics by Danny McD.
    Also I finally got around to playing with the video I took when Kathi and I rode to Nome and posted a short clip on youtube. Hard to condense 25 days into 4 minutes but here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9V3rP8lwl8
    Attached Images Attached Images

FatBike Fiend

More photos

Good trip and campout. Here's a few more photos. We came across a previous trip companion who had been crushed by a serac fall years ago. He was amazingly well preserved too, darndest thing! And then Bill had to go and try some ice spelunking on his bicycle. Crazy.

FatBike Fiend

Video link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF-sCYnZbAU

General riding around the glacier. If you go, it's a really cool place but keep your eyes open, you never know what you're going to run into...
    Last edited by Wildfire; 02-04-2009 at 12:26 AM.

Scott in Tucson
    Holy nuts, those are some beautiful glacier shots. Looks like a unique place to ride.

How many miles of riding is like that, or are most of the shots generally from one area?
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

Caveman
    photoshop alert!!
    second to last photo is highly suspicious! call the moderators!

FatBike Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Krein
    Holy nuts, those are some beautiful glacier shots. Looks like a unique place to ride.

How many miles of riding is like that, or are most of the shots generally from one area?
    Thanks.

The iceberg lake where most of the photos were taken is about 2 1/2 miles across and getting bigger every year as the glacier melts back. The ride in is pretty scenic too, but once you get to the glacier, it's a whole 'nother world.

FatBike Fiend

Duh

Quote Originally Posted by Bearbait
    photoshop alert!!
    second to last photo is highly suspicious! call the moderators!
    That was intended as a joke since humor seems to be lacking on this forum lately. In the future I will try to limit my subject matter to what bootlace is best for winter riding and Neos arguments instead of actual ride reports.

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Nice work Mark, Bill and crew. I look foreward to this trip report every year.

I didn't see your giant red dog in any of the photos Mark. Please say that he's still around and didn't make any of the shots, if not and he's gone you have my condolences.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

mtbr member

Actually...

...I prefer using shock-cord as boot laces, secures and supports without constricting and cutting off blood flow...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

40 mile round trip

How many miles of riding is like that, or are most of the shots generally from one area?[/QUOTE]

Mark didn't answer your round trip question - Its a 40 mile round trip from the side of the river these guys rode.

Caveman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildfire
    That was intended as a joke since humor seems to be lacking on this forum lately. In the future I will try to limit my subject matter to what bootlace is best for winter riding and Neos arguments instead of actual ride reports.
    right.. uh, I was kidding too.

May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildfire
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF-sCYnZbAU

General riding around the glacier. If you go, it's a really cool place but keep your eyes open, you never know what you're going to run into...
    Nice video. Did you capture that?
    I like the choice of music too.

May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by damnitman
    ...I prefer using shock-cord as boot laces, secures and supports without constricting and cutting off blood flow...
    I don't know jack about snow biking and I can't begin to comprehend how cold it actually gets in Alaska, but this sounds like a good idea.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Thats a really nice movie Bill.
    Would have been nice to get a quote from Kathi or even her waking crawling out her sleeping bag.I guess when the weather was as crappy as you had it filming on the sea ice when you woke wasnt an option.I think its fun to see how different people look when they are multiple days into these type events.Remember Mike estes in the thin white line.Classic example.

FatBike Fiend

The red dog runs on.

Quote Originally Posted by bones get broke
    Nice work Mark, Bill and crew. I look foreward to this trip report every year.

I didn't see your giant red dog in any of the photos Mark. Please say that he's still around and didn't make any of the shots, if not and he's gone you have my condolences.
    Charlie is still around, I'm happy to report. I just can't take him on long rides anymore, he's got a lot of miles on those old bones. Thanks for asking. Hope all is well down Derange-o way, I spent a lot of time down there in the 80's. Fun town.
    Owner, Trailwerx Trails Contracting
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

FatBike Fiend
    right.. uh, I was kidding too.
    Sorry, man. Premature deployment of defense mechanism, I need to get that checked.
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

Bill M

The Long Version

Hey Carl I have a 10 min. version and am working on a 40 min version of the film with Kathi's on camera in the moment ramblings that I enjoyed. Been thinking about showing one or the other at the pre-race if your interested. We do have a cancellation and an open spot at the starting line. You could really appreciate the chat with the camera in Koyuk after the "emergency" bivy on the ice and no the little camera didn't sleep as well as Kathi during the windstorm and wasn't fit for filming when we dug ourselves out of the drift at daylight.

FatBike Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey650b
    Nice video. Did you capture that?
    I like the choice of music too.
    Glad you liked it. I thought I'd try the video mode in my little digital camera. Riding around through rough ice with one hand while peering through a viewfinder was on the tricky side, let me tell you, but lent a nice "Blair Witch Project" vibe.
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

Caveman
    its the internet, it happens to the best of us

back to heat molded closed cell jock straps....

FatBike Fiend
    its the internet, it happens to the best of us

back to heat molded closed cell jock straps....
    I prefer open cell...
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

Members who have read this thread: 0