Giddyup!- Mtbr.com

Thread: Giddyup!

mtbr member

Giddyup!

Zone Forecast: Matanuska Valley Last Update: 400 PM AST MON FEB 11 2008

Hazardous weather condition(s):

Snow Advisory

Tonight...Periods of snow. Snow accumulation 4 to 8 inches. Lows 5 to 15 above. Light winds.

Tuesday...Snow in the morning...then snow showers in the afternoon. Additional snow accumulation around 2 inches. Highs in the 20s. Light winds.

Tuesday Night...Mostly cloudy. Lows 5 to 15 above. Light winds becoming east 10 mph after midnight.

Wednesday...Cloudy. Chance of snow. Highs in the 20s. Northeast wind 10 to 20 mph.

Wednesday Night...Cloudy with a chance of snow. Lows in the 20s. Northeast wind 15 to 25 mph.

Thursday And Thursday Night...Cloudy with a chance of snow. Highs in the upper 20s to mid 30s. Lows in the mid teens to lower 20s.

Friday...Mostly cloudy with a chance of snow. Highs in the upper teens to mid 20s.

Friday Night...Mostly cloudy. Lows 5 to 15 above.

Saturday...Cloudy with a chance of snow. Highs in the upper teens to mid 20s.

Saturday Night...Mostly cloudy with a chance of snow. Lows 5 to 15 above.

Sunday...Cloudy. Highs in the 20s.

Sunday Night And Presidents Day...Mostly cloudy with a chance of snow. Lows 5 to 15 above. Highs in the 20s.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Ahh... perfect conditions as usual. You may want to leave the Snowcats at home this year.

Ak29
    Singletrack Advocates Anchorage, Alaska
    Susitna 100 "Race Across Frozen Alaska"

Wood chips are stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen Bee
    Zone Forecast: Matanuska Valley Last Update: 400 PM AST MON FEB 11 2008

Hazardous weather condition(s):

Snow Advisory

Tonight...Periods of snow. Snow accumulation 4 to 8 inches. Lows 5 to 15 above. Light winds.

Tuesday...Snow in the morning...then snow showers in the afternoon. Additional snow accumulation around 2 inches. Highs in the 20s. Light winds.

Tuesday Night...Mostly cloudy. Lows 5 to 15 above. Light winds becoming east 10 mph after midnight.

Wednesday...Cloudy. Chance of snow. Highs in the 20s. Northeast wind 10 to 20 mph.

Wednesday Night...Cloudy with a chance of snow. Lows in the 20s. Northeast wind 15 to 25 mph.

Thursday And Thursday Night...Cloudy with a chance of snow. Highs in the upper 20s to mid 30s. Lows in the mid teens to lower 20s.

Friday...Mostly cloudy with a chance of snow. Highs in the upper teens to mid 20s.

Friday Night...Mostly cloudy. Lows 5 to 15 above.

Saturday...Cloudy with a chance of snow. Highs in the upper teens to mid 20s.

Saturday Night...Mostly cloudy with a chance of snow. Lows 5 to 15 above.

Sunday...Cloudy. Highs in the 20s.

Sunday Night And Presidents Day...Mostly cloudy with a chance of snow. Lows 5 to 15

above. Highs in the 20s.

Let the good times roll
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

mtbr member
    Wow, God was listening this time.

mtbr member
    Yeah, funny--he never listened before!

Bill M

Good Luck All

Hey Pete I wasn't going to tell anyone you had been praying for an "Alaskan" Race but now you told on yourself. Good Luck to each and every racer in this weekends SU 100 and 50 K!!
    Bill and Kathi M

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    It has been snowing pretty much non-stop all winter here in the Tetons so it is only fitting that the snow follow me to AK for the Su100!
    Eat Food. Chop Wood. Ride Bike.

mtbr member
    Yeah, people were complaining that it was too cold and they wished it would warm up. Be careful what you wish for!

Bill M

Freezing Rain

Just talked with a pilot who said there is freezing rain in Wasilla. at the moment. Maybe it will firm things up if it cools off and Pete stops praying for more snow.

mtbr member
    Depends on what forecast you look at, but all that praying may have backfired. The weekend of the Ultrasport is looking snowy right now.

Bill M

Blisters

Quote Originally Posted by pbasinger
    Depends on what forecast you look at, but all that praying may have backfired. The weekend of the Ultrasport is looking snowy right now.
    Its been a few years since we have walked our bikes from Knik to Puntilla so I guess if it happens we can all blame you and your prayers for our blisters. I can't ride with you hotshots but I can push 150 miles with the best. There is a bright side to everything!!!!!
    Bill M

Bill M

Updated weather

Hey Pete,
    Now look what you have done!!!!!!! Here is an on scene weather report I just received. Good thing we all carry snowshoes to wear when we push our bikes. Here it is:
    "Hi Bill,
    I heard from my friend who lives out at Shell Lake it has been dumping
    heavy wet snow. At 11am today, he had 24" measured, wet sticky heavy.
    All trails are gone. It was still snowing then, and I see it is now
    still too by the weather observations."

But who knows it may get worse by the time our race starts

I'm from Utah
    Wow! Sounds like Juneau weather out there. I may just have my edge after all. Bring on the slog.

FatBike Fiend

Pitter patter, pitter patter

Ah, the gentle sound of falling snow. Still coming down. 4" of new last night here in the valley. Racing tip of the day: Bike wheels make great snow shoes when strapped to the feet. Good luck in the race everyone.
    Owner, Trailwerx Trails Contracting
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

mtbr member
    Anybody have a good link to somewhere we can get a good idea about the ammount out on the trail. Looks to be about 6 in my driveway. Suppose we could just call Pt. Mac store.
    Is it too late to pray for less snow now?
    This just isn't as fun knowing Jamber won't be out wading through the snow with me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Builds character, eh?

Mar 2007
    I talked to Larry Seime who is going to be grooming the race trail from Susitna Station up to the turnaround point and they recieved 1 foot on mon/tues and as of today no one has broken trail but Larry is heading out tonight at 6 pm to break and then groom. It is still snowing up there as of 10 am fri

FatBike Fiend
    Anybody have a good link to somewhere we can get a good idea about the ammount out on the trail. Looks to be about 6 in my driveway. Suppose we could just call Pt. Mac store.
    Is it too late to pray for less snow now?
    This just isn't as fun knowing Jamber won't be out wading through the snow with me.
    Could you pray for world peace or something?
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

mtbr member

Trail report - sort of

Ran out to Pt Mac today - blue-sky beautiful! Took this shot just past the Little su crossing (thousand words and all that). On the way back in met two snowmachiners that had just come from Kurt and Peggy's on the trail (after the photo was taken). Another sled with two toboggans of gear in tow was headed out - and it looked like the Wades were heading out of the PMGS on their machines as I passed on the way home.

The Ayershire road portion of the trail is a bit soft, but for now rideable.

Of course, this is no indication of what the trail will look like when I get there after the 174 racers that are ahead of me...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I get a buzz from being cold and wet ~ the pleasure seems to balance out the pain" - Blue, Red and Grey The Who By Numbers

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the reports guys!
    Tony, you're going to kill em in the women's race.

Caveman
    You're all screwed, have a nice walk.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Wow

First 50K biker finished 2+ hours after my time from last year and I was middle of the pack. Looks like nearly two thirds of the "girls race" participants either did not even start or scratched. Conditions must have been rough. Can't wait to hear mesotony's race report, his brief pre-ride report didn't look so bad. The 100 stats didn't look too much better.

mtbr member

bearbait speaks great wisdom!

Truly though, it was lots of fun - got to meet a lot of nice people -skiers and runners as they passed me!

Law of diminishing returns - the slower you are, the slower you will get. Had a very avoidable mechanical and will be looking for a new pump. Pushed maybe half? A small pic attached of two of those skiers that passed me approacing the ground blizzard at Flathorn.

Looking forward to the 100 next year.

Looks like Pete will be in anytime. And he did - 25.5 hours! sheesh -and Greg is into Flathorn!
    Last edited by Mesotony; 02-17-2008 at 02:33 PM.
    "I get a buzz from being cold and wet ~ the pleasure seems to balance out the pain" - Blue, Red and Grey The Who By Numbers

is buachail foighneach me
    any rider that persevered through those conditions is my hero. i made the very wise decision to participate in the susitna 37 with several other riders. it involved walking most of the way to flathorn, sitting around and eating, then walking most of the 15 miles back via the return route. really beautiful scenery, and my hip is starting to feel better from all the pushing. if it took pete 25.5 hrs, i'm sure i would still be out there tomorrow morning, or on kirt's plane at somepoint today.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Yesterday I was feeling a bit guilty about that "DNS' next to my name as I was ripping turns down the powder at Alpenglow but I'm feeling much better about my decision today. All that pushing is not for me. Much respect to those that finish. Hopefully the GrillMeister is feeling revitalized after his 10 hour "nap" at Eagle Song and finishes in good spirits.

Jul 2006
    It was indeed an experience and in a sick kind of way enjoyable. I do however have soreness in places I did not know existed I have come to the conclusion that pushing SUCKS A$$! You can view my pictures and read about my experience and thoughts here

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Post your photos?

Manny, I don't have an account at akspokes. Can you please post your story and photos here? I'd love to see them. Way to hang in there yesterday. dave

Caveman
    wow. Impressive Push guys! nine hours from Flathorn to Eaglesong, that's straight out of the Flintstones.

Looks like it was The Su Smackdown this year.

Congrats to those who made it - hope you arent too brain damaged..

Fatback

carnage 100

Pete, Tom, Joe and I got off to a good start in about 8* and moderate winds. Trails were firm for the first 10 miles, but it didn't take long to get into the wind and the drifted stuff. Then it was down to Pete, Tom and me into Flathorn. In and out, back into the blizzard. We ended up pushing for the next 8 hours-Dismal Swamp lived up to it's name as visibility was poor and riding nonexistant all the way to Eaglesong Lodge, arriving between 7:30 and 8pm. After a burger, we pressed on into the night. It was snowing hard enough to make navigation a chore. Luckily Jim Jager was ahead of us on skis and we could make out the remnants of his tracks. This next 22 mi section was mostly rideable, and probably the most memorable for me as we fought our way to Luce's Lodge. The snow was always soft and dry-no firm trail to be had. At times, we post holed knee deep. Arriving at Luce's, Pete was feeling good and wanted to do the old in/out, but Tom and I were thinking FOOD. Pete grabbed a quick pastry and was off while Tom and I ordered spaghetti and tried to get ourselves up for the next round. After about an hour, we drug ourselves out into the night about 2:45AM. I started fading after a few hours and started that battle in my head. I couldn't keep my eyes open. Meanwhile Pete is hauling ass and gaining time on the few skiers ahead at this point. And when I say hauling ass, I mean faster than the 4mph that we'd been riding-it's all relative to conditions. Pete did another quick turn around at Flathorn, while several hours later, Tom and I had breakfast. This was about all we could do. Riding was hit or miss, right to the finish, very slow. Almost 28 hours later, we crossed the line suffering. I don't think anyone was prepared for that effort, mentally or physically, with the exception of Pete. Hat's off to you brother-way to go.
    Speedway Cycles owner http://fatbackbikes.com

mtbr member
    Greg and Tom were pushing the pace.
    Tom has some amazing levitating abilities on that snow.
    Some pictures.

Caveman
    Great shot on the dismal swamp (right?)
    really shows the conditions

Bill M

Congrats to Brij, Pete and the rest

Congratulations to Brij and Pete for awesome finishes and everyone who stuck it out and are sticking it out in the less than ideal conditions. My hat's off to all of you!!!!!!!! Any prayers for next weekend Pete????? Just in case I have been working on bindings for my sand rims so I can use them for snowshoes.

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Wow, congratulations to all! I can't imagine fighting the mental demons for so many miles and so many hours. Even the skiers appeared to have a heck of a time out there, like there was no advantage to be had.

Congratulations too to all that scratched. Bailing is never an easy thing to do, and sometimes swallowing that pill really is a blessing in disguise. It's circumstances like that where people get into trouble when mental and physical fatigue combined sets in. Good effort to all! It'll just make you more determined for next year.

Rando
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearbait
    Great shot on the dismal swamp (right?)
    really shows the conditions
    Yep, living up to its name this year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    well done to everybody that pushed rode and suffered through that.

Anyone know what happened to dave byers and Chris E ???

FatBike Fiend

Pics from the start

Congratulations, everyone.
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

mtbr member
    Look at all those fat tires at the start line.
    I donít think there would have been more than 10 miles of riding if it werenít for the Endomorph.

FatBike Fiend
    Look at all those fat tires at the start line.
    I donít think there would have been more than 10 miles of riding if it werenít for the Endomorph.
    I think you could count the skinny tired bikes on one hand. It's pretty amazing how much fat tech has changed the races in less then ten years time. 'Course, a lot of those fat tired bikes still scratched, but still...
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

mtbr member
    I guess I'm glad that life reared its ugly head and kept me from toeing the line. My knees are thanking me for sitting it out this year. Yet still, I kept imagining being in that zone somewhere on the back stretch with 40 miles to go--there's nothing like it!

You guys (and gals) all did an incredible job out there!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Wow. A huge congrats to everyone who conquered the elements and their own personal demons to finish this thing. There were a few valuable lessons learned out there during my 12 hour round trip from the Start, to the Dismal Swamp, and back that I couldn't have learned any other way.

As I sit here in the Anchorage airport waiting to fly home to Idaho, I am already thinking about next year and what I will do differently from layering to bike packing. The Su100 is a great event and it was a pleasure to meet many new friends.
    Eat Food. Chop Wood. Ride Bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0