ghetto pogies- Mtbr.com

Thread: ghetto pogies

is buachail foighneach me

ghetto pogies

thought you folks might get a laugh at these. i'll be making or buying real pogies later this winter, and wanted to experiment with the designs cheaply. my initial 'ghetto pogies prototypes' are made entirely of an old t-shirt, two walmart plastic bags and white duck tape. they will be tested tonight in dry 15-20*F weather.

improvements to be made:

-screw them into the bar end plug to keep them from sliding forward.
    - narrower at the opening.
    -wire support

v2 will be with material from an old sweatshirt in one side, and the innards of an old work jacket with quilted liner on the other. i have coated powergrid coming my way for christmas, so the actual pogies will be decidedly less ghetto.

Jul 2006
    That is awesome, keep us posted.....................

Jul 2007
    Crap! I just bought a new pair today. I should have waited. Will there be designer colors of your design after the trials?

Caveman
    Sweet!
    That's the best use of walmart stuff I've seen.

Another homebrew ghetto way is to chop off the sleeves of an old insulated jacket then add a cover to fill in the spaces - the wrist cuff ends up being the handlebar attachment...

oh whoops you covered that in v2 never mind.
    Last edited by Bearbait; 12-17-2007 at 08:43 PM. Reason: i cant read

alright, i just cinched up the opennings so they'll actually hopefully hold some heat in tonight. snow conditions here in new jersey are dream-like right now. a measly @4", but it's heavy and wet during the day, frozen now. ride will from 2am - 6am. the normally really, really rocky trails are like a paved rollercoaster through the woods now. i'll update with my preliminary ghetto test results tomorrow afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by aka bubba
    That is awesome, keep us posted.....................

i just checked under the kitchen sink, and i have yellow and sort of a light brown. black too if you include trash bags. so in short, yes. designer colors on the way. i could even draw custom designs on them with paint markers...

oops. quoted the wrong guy...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

wal mart

you're right, walmart trash bags as pogies is ghetto. When you get up here, please upgrade to Carrs or Fred Meyer bags.

Ak29
    Singletrack Advocates Anchorage, Alaska
    Susitna 100 "Race Across Frozen Alaska"

Caveman
    hey sean, what's with the cave man titles on your blog?

Irish(gaelic).

those things up there ^ worked waaaaay better than i expected, while they were still intact... bushes/low branches, icy off camber with no studs rendered the bags shredded 'rags' by mile 15. but up till that point, it was like a warm summer day inside of them while it was hovering around 20F outside of them. with a little wire support and something that attatches them to the end of the handlebar(screw/bent section of the wire support), they would make excellent extremely low budget on road commuting pogies. i used less than $1 worth of duck tape on them, so they essentially cost less than a dollar.

i've definitely come away from the experience with alot of ideas on how to improve the design before i go messing with the expensive fabric for my susitna set. i'll post a picture of their current condition later tonight.

Caveman
    sorry, hope I didnt offend..
    good luck with the poggs

nope not at all. that was rather tame compared to what my friends call it....

after shots of ghetto pogies v1, like a cheap 80's hair metal video....

Members who have read this thread: 0