• 07-21-2014
    Kamala
    Getting off the Road - Where to start?
    I'm a recovering road grinder who just moved to Anchorage from Seattle over the winter. The biggest difference I've noticed here is that it is very difficult to find lower-traffic roads to string together 30+ mile rides in some relative seclusion. And I just don't feel anywhere near as safe on the bigger roads with the tourist traffic everywhere.

So I'm trying to figure out if there are non/not-very technical trails of longer distances around this corner of the state (willing to drive) where a guy can crank for miles without getting run over by a car and doesn't need to learn too many MTB skills? Is there a resource page or book that would be handy? Any searches I'm running are bringing Kincaid style trails that are meant for shorter loops and technical skills.

If the kind of trails I'm seeking are out there, I don't even know where to begin for a rig. I was planning on a fat bike this winter. Would that get the job done year round on the kinds of trails that I'm describing?

Thanks for any help!
  • 07-21-2014
    AKCheesehead
    There is Johnson Pass, Resurrection Pass and Devils Pass down on the Kenai Peninsula. There is 135 miles of gravel and bad pavement on the Denali Hwy between Cantwell and Paxson. There is ~20 miles of gravel on Hatcher Pass road going up and over hatcher pass, you can make a 40ish mile trip going up and back with some fun downhill and a ton of climbing...
  • 07-21-2014
    AKCheesehead
    Forgot to mention that both roads I described have very minimal or no traffic at all and a fatbike would be perfectly fine on anything around here... Good Luck!
  • 07-21-2014
    GrayJay
    For miles of secluded gravel roads that are right in Anchorage's backyard, check out the northern portion of Ft.Richardson. http://forums.mtbr.com/alaska/jber-biking-789375.html

Good resource list of AK riding trails; Alaska Trail Reviews