Gear/warmth Questions- Mtbr.com

Aug 2006

Gear/warmth Questions

Couple of questions regarding gear and staying warm for winter mountain biking:

1. What do you wear/do to keep your hands warm?

2. Ditto for feet?

3. Do you still use bike shoes and clip-on pedals in the winter?

thanks,

Paul

Jul 2007

Winter clothing

As with all things, everyone has their opinions based on their personal experiences. So here is mine. Last year was my first winter. I found that the tried and true clothing is the layering system. Several differnt items will give you combinations appropriate to the temperature. Those tolerations of temperature are going to be what is relevant to you. Boots: I don't click in during the winter; hard to get out of them if you go down. If you have the extra dime, go for the Lakes. You can do cleets with them, but what's the point. They are extremely warm, but extremely expensive (up to $275 now). Give it a few days and you will get several other suggestions from other riders.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    There is a lot of material related to what you're asking that has already been discussed extensively on this forum. You'll find that people are reluctant to repeat themselves over and over and after spending some time on this board now, I've come to appreciate the reasons. Dig around a little bit and I think you'll find some answers or at least useful discussion. It is different for everyone and you'll probably have to try a couple of different things before you find what works for you but at least you'll get some ideas. For example:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=326010
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=255537
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=245033

Aug 2006
    Thanks, will do. I guess that happens a lot on all sorts of forums.

Aug 2004
    I wear a Smartwool zip-up turtleneck bottom layer, then a Berzerkley *windproof* pullover fleece over that. To protect the most important part get some windproof patagonia briefs, add two pairs of bike pants (one tighter than the other as a bottom layer) and Lobben wool boots and tall wool socks. Get double-layer polarfleece gloves from Costco and replace them every few months as they pack down. A good windproof hat and you're set.

If anything you'll be TOO hot in that gear. Unzip to vent as you warm up, so you don't sweat and saturate your insulation layer.

Members who have read this thread: 0