Frozen Mountain Bike ??

Printable View

• 11-13-2011
    Elfbkr50
    Frozen Mountain Bike ??
    So I usually leave my summer fs bike in my shed through the winter, and was wondering if the winter long stay in the shed hurts the bike in anyway. I don't ride it in the winter, but does the -10 and -20 temps affect the integrity of the aluminum? Suspension?

Thanks
  • 11-13-2011
    ak greeff
    ive been told that the harsh temperatures can be bad for the seals in your shock and fork and may lead to premature failure of the seals.
  • 11-13-2011
    sean salach
    Aluminum should be fine. If you're not riding it, I wouldn't think the seals would be an issue. Sticky compound tires can become brittle and crack if ridden in cold temps or left partially deflated.
  • 11-14-2011
    Elfbkr50
    Thanks
    I didn't think of the seals, but I replace them every year anyway. I do wonder about aluminum being subjected to extreme temps, (-20) over extended periods of time. I guess we'll see.
  • 11-14-2011
    Gurney
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Elfbkr50 View Post
    I didn't think of the seals, but I replace them every year anyway. I do wonder about aluminum being subjected to extreme temps, (-20) over extended periods of time. I guess we'll see.

"Aluminum is Suited to Extreme Cold. The strength of aluminum actually increases under very cold temperatures, making it especially useful for cryogenic applications and in the extreme cold of outer space, as well as for aircraft and for construction in high latitudes."

I found this on an aluminum manufacturing web site. I would be more worried about your seals, especially if you are air sprung.
  • 11-14-2011
    Elfbkr50
    Great quote
    I was looking for something like that.

Replacing seals yearly is good practice anyway, right?
  • 11-14-2011
    forrestvt
    I have seen seals fail when suspension (front and rear) is used in cold temps but if stored clean with seals lubed I have never had any issues.
  • 11-15-2011
    NEPMTBA
    Have had friends put...

... their bikes on top of the car on the rack and drive in cold temps then arriving at the trail head the air had leaked out from the air shock.

I would guess the seal contracted due to the cold but once warmed up it held air again with no reported damage.
  • 11-15-2011
    Elfbkr50
    Cold=lower pressure
    That could be the issue as well. I don't ride mine in the winter, so I will feel comfort in hibernating the bike in the shed.