frozen hydration tube?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

frozen hydration tube?

Cold weather has returned to VT and I am strugggling to use a Camel back set up. Any suggestions for keeping tube and mouthpiece ice-free? Currently, I am not covering the pack with a coat as it is not that cold (10F). As always, any help is welcome.

Diaskeuast
    Tuck the valve inside the collar of your jacket so that your body heat will discourage freezing, and always blow the water out of the tube after you take a drink -- just blow back into the tube until you hear/feel bubbles in the Camelbak.

If you're using a smaller Camelbak, you might try a larger model. I've been using the HAWG this winter, and I've been out for several hours at a time in sub-zero weather with no freezing of water inside the bladder. It seems to help insulate the water when you have a pack full of extra gloves, hats, etc.

In those cold temps, I can't keep the bit valve from icing up. I just stop, yank it out, and sip from the tube like a straw. It's a little inconvenient, but better than being thirsty.
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

Caveman
    wear it over your base layer under your jacket, insulate the tube, blow back in.
    MSR Dromadary bags use slightly larger diameter tubing which mmmmmmight help.

k-2
    mtbr member
    All of the above, and after you blow back or gravity drain the tube, pinch open the bite valve and shake out those last couple of drops that get stuck in the valve....

A Surly Maverick
    I bet that thread title has caused some reflex leg crossing ...........
    Life IS a Beach and then you Corrode :)

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    For the ones with the tube that tucks into the shoulder strap, I have put a hand warmer in that shoulder pocket with the tube and that has helped. Just stick it in a baggy so that water does not get on it.

Also, blowing back, as mentioned several times already is also crucial but when you're relying on that, I find it is only so long before I forget and then....no water.

What day are we riding?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Feelygood !
    I bet that thread title has caused some reflex leg crossing ...........
    That would be a different tube.

is buachail foighneach me
    and i seriously hope you don't look to *that kind of tube as a source of hydration....

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Blow into tube then pinch bite valve open and hold the hose as far above your head as the tube will go for a moment or two, gravity does the rest.
    Camelbac goes inside jacket as close to skin as possible. Run valve under base layer. Make sure jacket is large enough to cover water pack and snug underneath it in back. Just heard about folks wearing the water pack in front, underneath jacket where it reportedly fits better.

A Surly Maverick
    No Sean........

That really would be literally "taking the P*ss!"

Life IS a Beach and then you Corrode :)

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

A few ideas..

Quote Originally Posted by green mt. boy
    Cold weather has returned to VT and I am strugggling to use a Camel back set up. Any suggestions for keeping tube and mouthpiece ice-free? Currently, I am not covering the pack with a coat as it is not that cold (10F). As always, any help is welcome.
    Are you using the Camel Back Winter kit that has the insulated pouch, tube, and mouth piece?
    Adding a catalyst to the water may also help.. Cytomax, Gatorade, salt, or water will increase the freezing point of the fluid you are carrying it as well.

I think you could stick the hand warmer packs in the pouch too to also maintain overall chamber temperature.

Christopher

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

lots of helpful tips....

Most of the time the temp in VT is 20-30F so I don't run a jacket. Last weekend, went out into 10F and froze the mouth bit solid.

I am going to insulate the tube and hide the mouth bit in my jersey. Also, like the idea of adding some Gatorade.

I may also go back to a more basic mouth bit as you can chew on those to break ice unlike the more fancy, spring loaded numbers.

Thanks for all the information.

Diaskeuast
    Quote Originally Posted by green mt. boy
    I may also go back to a more basic mouth bit as you can chew on those to break ice unlike the more fancy, spring loaded numbers.
    That works only if the ice is contained in the flexible portion of the valve. When it ices all the way through the connecting plastic tube, you're plugged up until you can go indoors for a while.
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

Members who have read this thread: 0