Frigid Bits: NOI Update- Mtbr.com
    rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Frigid Bits: NOI Update

The course on Goose Lake is under 1 inch of water so instead of a NOI ride we will have a Loogie Your Nads Ride ! The course will be same as the Loogie course with the loop portion done in reverse. There will be a map available at the start to carry with you. Basically, its the Tour Trail out and back from Goose, then the single track trail along Campbell Creek ( this turn will be marked ) continue on to Rovers right on to Moose Meadows left onto the SpeedWay Single Track complete this to the Tour trail then back to Goose Lake. Tim ( Grill Meister ) not Preacher Tim, and I will flag the critical turns.
    The sign up and start times will remain the same.

Jul 2006
    There is also social group ride scheduled that will be held in conjunction with the ride at your own pace ride.

We want... a shrubbery!
    As I'm not at all familiar with a lot of this terminology and trails, does anyone have the map that was used for the event 2 weeks ago? I went to bubba's site, but it's no longer listed...

Even better, GPS tracks! ---insert evil, high-pitched laugh--- ---and a cat being smacked against a wall in the background---
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.

Jul 2006
    Icky sorry about that. I added a link so you can download the course map.

We want... a shrubbery!
    Woohooo!!! Now I can only be marginally lost!

Haha, thanks for the link... should be a great help.
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.

Dec 2007
    how long is the social ride going to be? are we still meeting @ goose lake parking lot? can an out of shape fat guy do the soc ride, i'm not familiar w/ the trail network out there so i would like to stay w/ group!!
    1st timer! rookie!! plz let me know, i'll be watching for reply.

Jul 2006
    georgejetson yes we are still meeting at goose lake at the same time. As far as the social ride goes it is more or less tailored to the group at hand and that determines the length of the ride. So everyone is welcomed and encouraged to join us and ride.

Diaskeuast
    If no one else is already planning to do it, I'll volunteer to lead a social ride. I was up most of last night with a sick kid, so an easy pace is all I can handle. We can do the same loop that Manny led a couple of weeks ago. I didn't check it, but I'm guessing it was in the neighborhood of 8 or 10 miles, at most.

The pace and terrain will be mellow, but lights and studs are required.

If someone was already wanting/planning to lead a social ride, I'll just drop into their group and follow along.

Jul 2006
    Took a spin on the course today and let me tell you it is slick as snot. Even with studs on I hit the ground a few times. Surprisingly I did not come across too much in the form of blow down just a lot of twigs and what have you. The hill coming at the end of speedway coming down Homestead is one large sheet of glare Ice so use caution. There was one blow down on Moose track (pictured below) that you should be aware of. I moved what I could but not all of it so stay to the left of it and call it good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dec 2007
    to be honest, i may be the anchor in the boat. have not been off road in a while! last summer i got a new commuter bike and did about 300 miles on it, that's it. once the weather started going south that was over.
    my bike and gear are excellent stuff but the engine needs work. how are the trails out there, i usually ride kincaid, never been out there before especially in the dark, are they smooth, rooty,rocky?? what should i expect?

Diaskeuast
    Icy as hell, but relatively smooth. A few roots, but nothing too technical. There are a few hills climbing up the Tour trail, but nothing very long or steep.

Dec 2007
    so after seeing this pic and doing this in the dark i assume we won't be going very fast?? good pic!!! thx for the info, pic really helped. may get the new rotor burned in tonight! never done this before! looks crazy!

Dec 2007
    rotors... i see the wind is picking up again

Dec 2007
    any good pointers that will keep me upright?? i'll be using an nrs w/ good studs.

Diaskeuast
    Quote Originally Posted by georgejetson
    any good pointers that will keep me upright??
    Yeah: Try really, really hard to not fall down!

I just spoke with Manny by phone. Sounds like last night's warm wind put a fresh glaze on all the uneven trail ice, so lower tire pressures will probably be the way to go. Start 'em a little on the firm side, and let out air a little at a time until you find what sticks.

Other than that, just keep loose and choose good lines.

And make sure you have some ibuprofen waiting at home. Beer helps, too.

We want... a shrubbery!
    Hey if anyone is still on and heading... I don't have a printer hooked up yet in my new place. So, if you could print off a copy of the course map for tonight I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Members who have read this thread: 0