Frigid Bits Finale Soiree - Recon Mission- Mtbr.com
    Grillin' & Chillin'

Frigid Bits Finale Soiree - Recon Mission

I just got back from an awesome 2 hour Hillside Recon Mission and I can easily declare the trails totally FAT-tastic.

I flagged the course with the flags to the right side in the direction of flow. Two spots where there are hard lefts that you could miss because of outta-control speeding are preceded by a pair of crossed flags. These two spots are; a) on the Moose Ridge Trail at the end of the downhill whoop-dee-do's just before crossing The Black Hole of Death swamp and b) on the Viewpoint just before hanging a left onto Rovers Run. The conditions varied quite considerably with sections that could be categorized as follows:
    1. Lumpy and pock-marked from foot traffic
    2. Fast with a little sugar coating from the skiers
    3. Juicy from slight overflow - The absolute worst spot is shown in the photo below.
    4. Sketchy single track on Moose Track. This section has a very narrow sweet spot that isn't very forgiving if you derail. It should be doable even for skinny tired dudes though.
    5. Fast! The section after crossing the swamp and through the tunnel = 24mph (probably faster for Thirstywork). Whoa Nelly!

Overall the conditions, I believe, favor the Fat Tired Dudes, but it should be firm enough to ride on skinny tires, but will be a struggle in the softer and narrow sections. See you out there. Don't forget the post ride festivities. Grillzilla and FBBB will be in attendance, all fired up and ready to party.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grill Meister
    "There were never any good old days
    They are today, they are tomorrow
    "
    - Gogol Bordello

Members who have read this thread: 0