Frigid Bits: February 10th, Hard Water- Mtbr.com
    rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Frigid Bits: February 10th, Hard Water

Well, this event will take place on a Sunday and during the daytime ( gasp ) !
    The ride at your own pace and the social ride will take place on Eagle River ice !
    Meet at the mile 7.4 or so of Eagle River Road, its a parking area with a trailhead and trail that winds to the river. We will gather at the trail head and with the start on the river and ride upstream to the vicinity of the Visitor Center flip around and ride back to the trailhead, which may be approximately 17 miles round trip. I Need to confirm this part or someone can contribute info !

Meet at the parking area for sign up around 12:30 riders meeting at 12:55.
    Ride at 1 PM !
    Akdelux feels that enough past snow machine traffic has occurred that fat tires or snow cats will work fine on the river ice / snaux !

I will be at the trailhead at 1 PM Saturday to do a pre-ride.

Please use this thread for questions, sharing a ride to the start or for sharing riding tips to help the noob riders !

Bill M

Overflow

Good plan to check it out on Saturday. Kathi and I regularly rode Eagle River for 4 winters and if we ran into serious overflow it was always upstream from 7.4 mile where the river swings back near the highway. We have ridden it with 8 or 10 inches of water for over a mile and I don't now about Eagle River but we have seen more overflow this year in other places than I have seen in quite a while. If you run into water upstream it's a nice ride downstream to Briggs bridge and usually a lot less overflow. You guys have fun and keep your powder dry!!!

let's ride...
    Dec 2006
    I am hoping to ride the river today, but I'm going to start at the Eagle River Loop Rd trailhead. I've seen lots of snowmachine tracks on this part of the river this week and I think that several miles near this trailhead should be packed. Last winter, I rode the river from here on multiple occassions and even with consistent sub zero temps, heading upriver there were several open spots in the ice with fast flowing water. Overflow wasn't something I had to deal with, but there were several nerve racking moments when I broke through thin overflow ice and dropped several inches to more solid ice.. That said, I hope to see you this weekend...

mtbr member

yep

similar experiance last year - should be fun, see you on Saturday.
    "I get a buzz from being cold and wet ~ the pleasure seems to balance out the pain" - Blue, Red and Grey The Who By Numbers

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Am I correct to assume that Studs would be overkill for this ride? It's either the Extremes or the TWolf/SnauxCat combo.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Sounds great ! What would be the best ride ? Pugsley or snowcats with studs ?

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hard Water: 2/10

The course is a snow riders wet dream !
    Marge of the Large, Snow Cats and even 29r rigs should do just fine !
    The scenery in this river valley is world class !
    What makes this ride do-able is all the snow machine traffic, however we only came across 2.

The ride will start at the trail head and finish there and the ride goes up river 5 miles and flips back.

This route would be great for a social ride and fabulous for a noob winter rider !

Opps; this is one of those $5 fee parking areas so be prepared !
    See you all on Sunday !

mtbr member

Rio on Eagle Rio...

Yep he speaks the truth, here's some visual confirmation: A makeshift tripod at the turn-around point - note the big dead tree in the background with two stripes where the snow has been rubbed off. A trail map (details to be anounced by race director on Sunday). And one showing just how good the trail is, thats carlos and steve.

Those of you that aren't taking one last peek at the Su 100 trail should make the 15 mile drive to this trail head and have a great river ride - although I have to warn you there is 64 feet of altitude gain in the first five miles! Promises to be another beautiful day.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I get a buzz from being cold and wet ~ the pleasure seems to balance out the pain" - Blue, Red and Grey The Who By Numbers

mtbr member
    Anyone want to carpool?
    PM me

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pbasinger
    Anyone want to carpool?
    PM me
    With you?

mtbr member

Thanks again Rio!

Great ride, huge vistas, excellent company. Thanks for putting it together. The day was awesome.

No trace of the dog-eating ER wolves, but I did surprise a fox, found out why they call it "Eagle River", and got an overexposed picture of the usual: riders waiting for me..

Alaska Turner Mafia

What a fun ride!

I spent a bit too much time today trying to convince LoafyD to join in on this ride, making me a little late for the organized group gathering. I pulled into the parking lot, and as I was filling out my day parking pass, fully expecting to ride alone, I noticed speedsk8 pull in too. Cool, at least I wasn't the only latecomer, and someone else showed that I could ride with.

Neither one of us had ridden this area before, and it felt fresh for us both. I didn't know just what to expect, I checked the NOAA weather site and read -13 for the area, but it really didn't feel that bad. A few miles into the ride and Tim checked his little REI thermometer, reading -4.

What a scenic river valley. It was narrow enough though, with tall enough peaks on either side, that it may be another month before the sun gets high enough to reach the valley bottom and river. We rode pretty much in the shadow of the peaks to our south, as the peaks to the north popped at us in the sun.

There's been enough snowmachine traffic that riding conditions were super. Tim had a computer he was watching, and on our way upriver he said it kept bouncing back and forth between 9.8 and 10 mph...pretty good for FatBikes on snow. We even caught ourselves purposely slowing down and stopping to absorb the scenery before it passed us by and was all over. Tim's quote was "This is why we live in Alaska" while mine was "Yeah, this is why they call it God's country."

On our way out we ran into 87beemer, who had just split from the group of Ak29, Pbasinger, SkiMonkee, and Mesotony. After the turnaround tripod, along our return, we got a bit off course, not noticing any previous tracks. All's well though, as we went through a series of river switchbacks that added a welcome half mile or mile. A little water to ride through, lots of ice, and one wipeout, all just added to the fun. The wipeout cleaned my clock though as I went down in a flash and saw spinning white dots for about 20 seconds. All's good, bike didn't get hurt, whew!

I'll have to get out there again soon. It was fun venturing out of Anchorage proper and experiencing some new terrain. Well worth it. Good ride speedsk8_ak, thanks for the idea Rio.

Rando
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

Grillin' & Chillin'

Frozen Sunshine

Thanks to those who posted pictures. It's always nice to see the folks that were out and about in the sunshine, even though it was -4.

Endo - Great accounting of the numerous things that elevated the fun factor for this ride. I too was certainly glad to see you as a latecomer. Ultimately more fun when riding with someone. Solo generally sucks. I owe you a steaming mocha or $2, which ever comes first. See you next time. Go to know your bell wasn't rung too hard.
    Grill Meister
    "There were never any good old days
    They are today, they are tomorrow
    "
    - Gogol Bordello

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Awesome pictures sno-riders!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0