Frigid Bits: #3 Loop A Loogie 4 U- Mtbr.com
    rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ... Frigid Bits: #3 Loop A Loogie 4 U

The very first almost world famous Frigid Bits Tail gator will be held this Saturday after The Loop A Loogie 4 U ride. This is also the the first burn of 2007/2008 snow riding, swillin and a grillin season for the soon to be mt. bike shrine, and almost internationally known tourist trap; the one and only Frigid Bits Burn Barrel ! So here are some details that you all will need to try remember:

Where to meet : Goose Lake Parking Lot
    When: November 24th ( Full moon night ! )
    Time: Sign up 6:30 - 6:45 or so
    Riders meeting 6:50ish

We will try to have some maps available for the riders, however here is a brief description. From Goose Lake; ride over the overpass at Tudor, ride the Tour Trail, then ride it some more until you get to this park bench, turn on to this little ol' trail that will light you up real good ! Then you will ride/ wobble over to Rovers and blast down it past the rusty bridge then on to the Tour Trail. I don't care how you get back to Goose Lake, the lone exception is that riding roads and sidewalks is not allowed .
    For the Fridgid Bit rookies, there will be plenty of opportunities to turn around early and come back for a cold beer . Please remember that this is a ride at your own pace ride and that helmets are required.

This is a Tail Gate ride so bring something hopefully dead ( never know with this bunch ) to throw on the grill along with some adult beverages to share with fellow bike riders.

Please use this thread for any questions.

Grillin' & Chillin'

The Loop A Loogie 4 U - Course Correction

Carlos,

I'm in the process of finishing up the map. I'll get a large copy to Speedway and some smaller copies too, as well as a PDF to Manny to post on the FB Web Page.

Here's a better description of the course route:

Goose Lake --> Tudor Bridge --> Tour Of Anchorage Trail --> right onto the Moose Track Trail . Go to the end of Moose Track then directly across the parking lot and road and enter the Lore Road Trail --> right on the Coyote Trail --> turn left on the Homestead Trail --> 1/3 mile turn left, just past Thee Park Bench, and onto Speedway Single Track --> right onto Moose Meadow --> left on Rover's Run --> go past main bridge then turn right towards the Dog Sled Bridge then left just before the Dog Sled Bridge to get on the Creekside Trail which snakes along the Campbell Creek back to the intersection of the Tour Of Anchorage Trail and the Moose Track Trail, --> turn right back onto the Tour trail for the return to Goose Lake for the finish.

For those (like me sometimes) that have a tendency to get disoriented in the dark, I don't know why, there are signs at most every intersection now that will tell you where you are and where to go.

I'm bummed that I won't be there for the first tail gator as I will be in D.C. to attend the ceremony of my wife, Vicky, receiving the National Employee Of The Year award for TSA employees. WooHoooooooooooo!
    Grill Meister
    "There were never any good old days
    They are today, they are tomorrow
    "
    - Gogol Bordello

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Holy crap...this promises to be interesting. I've never been on half those trails. Keep the barrell burning for me!!

Diaskeuast

No worries

Quote Originally Posted by SkiMonkee
    Holy crap...this promises to be interesting. I've never been on half those trails. Keep the barrell burning for me!!
    I'll probably be right behind you. With a flask of tequila. If we stay lost long enough, we'll stop caring.

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Loogie 4U

Well I bet you walked or biked or perhaps with a sack over your head skied on most / some of them, but you didn't know them by name.
    This is a fun ride that I hope it will be enjoyable for everyone, just make sure to say Hi and chat up your fellow FB rider, because she / he may be the rider with the only good cold beer after the ride ! Looks like 9.6 miles hmmmm, I bet it will seem shorter than that in the dark woods with a scary full moon !

Quote Originally Posted by SkiMonkee
    Last edited by rio; 11-22-2007 at 01:08 PM.

Grillin' & Chillin'

Loop A Loogey 4 U - Course Marking

Rio,

I was just visually riding the course in my mind, what's left of it after a week in Vegas, and I trying to picture the most probable places that might need flagging or where riders might get mixed up.

1. Getting on to the Moose Track Trail from the Tour Trail will need some guiding to make that hidden right hand turn. Also once you are on Moose Track a short ways down it crosses the dog sled trail and it looks like it goes straight, but actually is split off to left a little. If you miss that one you'll know right away.

2. Thee Bench turn of Homestead Trail is about 40-50 feet past the bench. The only tricky part there is to really be looking for the bench.

3. When crossing the Campbell Airstrip Trail Head Bridge near the parking lot and then turning left at the Dog Sled Bridge might need some flagging too. And then again too when the Creekside Trail comes back onto the Tour Trail

Items 1 and 3 can be easily done by just driving to the Campbell Airstrip Trail parking lot. I think that most of the riders know what's out there, but some of the stuff no matter how familiar can be confusing or disorienting in the dark. I wish I could make it for this one. The loop around the Campbell Airstip is a blast, hopefully the weather will turn around and get things hard again. What's most fun, particularly if you haven't rode some of these trails, are; Moose Track, Lore Road Trail, Rovers Run and what I call the Creekside Trail, I'm not sure of it's real name if there is any.

Of note too is Speedway Single Track - it's tough. Last Sunday it took me 20 minutes just to bite off that chunk of the loop. But, I'm not that great at technical stuff. I spend a lot of time scraping snow out of the back of my collar. And, I don't think that there is set up of tires that will make it any easier.

Good luck to everyone! And please, please take and post some pictures since I won't be able to be there. Oh yeah, someone have a beer for me too.
    Grill Meister
    "There were never any good old days
    They are today, they are tomorrow
    "
    - Gogol Bordello

Jul 2007

What if we get lost?

I have never ridden any of those trails. Will there be someone with a cell phone back at Goose Lake for guided instuctions on how the H to get back? Secondly, I have never ridden the F B races at the lake. Will there be a fat bike class? With robbing a few components off my present bike for a Pugsley build, it will be my ride for the winter.

Jul 2006
    I will be leading the Frigid Bits Rookies as well as anyone unfamiliar with the trails in that area through the course. So no worries! As for stealing from Peter to pay Paul ride whatever is ready to go

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I'll probably be right behind you. With a flask of tequila. If we stay lost long enough, we'll stop caring.
    Between your flask of tequila and my flask of Crown, I think we should be good for a couple of hours. Now if only we could get some of that snow back....

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

tequila

A flask of tequila? Now there is some motivation to stick with the pack...

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

To stay found

http://frigidbits.masony.com/

Please refer to the above Frigid Bits link and download the map and directions.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowed Man
    I have never ridden any of those trails. Will there be someone with a cell phone back at Goose Lake for guided instuctions on how the H to get back? Secondly, I have never ridden the F B races at the lake. Will there be a fat bike class? With robbing a few components off my present bike for a Pugsley build, it will be my ride for the winter.

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thank you

Manny a huge thank you for stepping up !
    Yo rookies ! Please remember to say thanks to Swami Manny !

Quote Originally Posted by aka bubba
    I will be leading the Frigid Bits Rookies as well as anyone unfamiliar with the trails in that area through the course. So no worries! As for stealing from Peter to pay Paul ride whatever is ready to go

Members who have read this thread: 0