Fridgid Bits: Roll Over 1/12/08- Mtbr.com
    rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good job! Fridgid Bits: Roll Over 1/12/08

This is our first ride of 2008 ! The ride will include the lower Hillside and trails north of Campbell Airstrip Rd.
    Here is the trail menu : Start at the North Bivwack Trail at the red gate, ride down the Tank Trail to Moose Ridge ride this trail all the way around to the swamp sign post, turn right and ride across the frozen swamp of doom trail to its end and take a left and ride the trail thru the culvert, cross the mushers bridge, turn left on to the main trail that goes to View Point and ride to Homestead Trail ride this to the left turn at the bench to get on the Speedway trail, ride Speedway to Moose Meadows, now take a right onto Moose Meadows and ride to Rovers turn right on RR and ride to S. Bivwack and cross Campbell A.S. Rd to the red gate and to the fini.

I hope to have a social ride as long as we can find a ride leader who knows the trails.

Distance : maybe 10 hardy miles or so ( If the trail Conditions hold up this will be a 2 lap ride) The social ride will be what ever it wants to be.
    Riders Meeting; 6:50 PM
    Ride: 7 PM
    Helmets are required

I will try to have maps at Speed Way

We want... a shrubbery!
    Sweet -- Looks like I can make this, given that my flights are on time, and that I haven't turned into a giant wuss with the cold after spending a week in Houston...
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Is the other long(er) distance race you mentioned previously still going on? I believe you were calling it the Snow Raven?

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Snow Raven

I originally planned to have this 6 hour ride the first part of January, but decieded that there were to many events going on and thought about February, so with Su 50 & 100 on the horizon in February and given the recovery times for riders, I shelved the ride. I'll put this event on the back burner until December 2008. However, if there is enough demand from local riders for a late February 6 hour event
    I'll do it. So, if the locals want a 6 hour winter ride that would use the Tour and the multi-use trails on the Hillside, talk to me ! Also, I would prefer more than 10 riders.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiMonkee
    Is the other long(er) distance race you mentioned previously still going on? I believe you were calling it the Snow Raven?

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Hey Carlos, I decided to get out for a local spin today, and thought I'd pre-ride your course. But before I left my house, I had an old computer I wanted to mount up so I could check the loop distance, so as long as I did a fair job at my rollout your loop is right at nine miles.

Quote Originally Posted by rio
    Here is the trail menu : Start at the North Bivwack Trail at the red gate, ride down the Tank Trail to Moose Ridge

Pretty straightforward here. The only point of clarification to make is to turn left onto Moose Ridge at the second signpost while you're on the Tank Trail. The first is called Moose Link, and will take you through a swampy area that still has a ton of exposed grassy tussocks, and then connects with Moose Ridge loop. That swampy portion still needs more snow, so pass that first signpost!

ride this trail all the way around to the swamp sign post

You'll be making a counter-clockwise loop around the pond. This is smooth and fast. The log crossing and dismount has been cut out. There's a few exposed roots now and then, and with less snow than usual it has its share of whoop-dee-doos, but it's twisty fun! So fast with a low rolling resistance tire like either Endomorphs or Weirwolf LT's. There were two other cute girl riders on this section today! Always a bonus.....

turn right and ride across the frozen swamp of doom trail to its end and take a left and ride the trail thru the culvert,

Again, a large post with signage will direct this turn, hang a right at your only four way intersection. A party of three biking women were out today, taking a break on the other side of the swamp of doom....great day to be out! Awesome scenery!

This portion has seen a bit less traffic by skiers, so not quite as smooth. Still pretty fast though as long as you stay on the packed singletrack. Ran into Adam here on his maiden voyage aboard his new WildFire FatBike. Sweet cherry red color, beee-oooo-tiful!

cross the mushers bridge, turn left on to the main trail that goes to View Point and ride to Homestead Trail. Ride this to the left turn at the bench

Fast and flat. Kick it up a gear or three now....

get on the Speedway trail, ride Speedway to Moose Meadows,

Speedway will require a bit more concentration compared to Homestead that you just left, lots of tight turns that will force you to reduce speed a bit. There was one overhanging tree that hooked my Camelback grab handle last week and yanked me, but that's been cutout. It's in the best shape that I've seen it this year though. If you've never ridden this trail it's worth doing before racing it.

now take a right onto Moose Meadows and ride to Rovers turn right on RR and ride to S. Bivwack and cross Campbell A.S. Rd to the red gate and to the fini.

Lots of skier traffic has left this really smooth as well. Two things to watch out for: a skijoring dog left a pretty long trail of serious rhea that was absolutely disgusting, and there's a couple of open icy areas on the upper end of Rover's. My computer revealed right at nine miles upon completion of the loop.

I hope to have a social ride as long as we can find a ride leader who knows the trails.

I'd be happy to lead a social ride if there are riders unfamiliar with the course. Let me know. Or if you want to flag it much like the Frosty Bottom was, I'd be happy to help out.

And if conditions stay as they are now, there really won't be much call for special winter bikes. Almost any summer ride will do fine with some large volume tires.

Here's Adam and his new steed, shakin' it down to prepare for his McGrath trip next month.

Rando
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by EndoRando; 01-06-2008 at 10:02 PM.
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Social Pre-ride

Randy,

I'm up for a social preride or to help flag the course is you're going to do that. I'm available during the day if you are.
    --
    Curt Harris
    Anchorage, AK
    [email protected]

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Roll Over : Flag the route

Can you all meet me at North Bivwack (sp) at 3 PM on Saturday to Mark the course. Also, anyone who would like to pre-ride the route with us are more than welcome to join us !

Quote Originally Posted by charris
    Randy,

I'm up for a social preride or to help flag the course is you're going to do that. I'm available during the day if you are.

We want... a shrubbery!
    I notice that someone said the course was non-fattire friendly, but if someone can tell me if they think it'd be feasible on 2.1 studs, I'd sure appreciate it.

However, I've been eating a lot of good spicy foods that toot my horn down here in Texas, I should be able to get through the tough sections with a little extra propulsion...
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.

Dec 2007
    2nd the reply on the studs!!! all i have is my nrs w/ studs, will these work and where is the meet spot? directions to trail head would be nice,or map. would be interested in social ride, don't know the trails so nice ride w/ some regrouping would be good. let me know, thx,geo.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Trailhead & Studs

George,

The trailhead is located approx. 2 miles up the Campbell Airstrip Rd. where there are 2 parking lots, one on each side of the road. Campbell Airstrip Rd. starts at the first traffic light on Tudor Rd. just east of Boniface.

The parking lots are for the Bivouac trailheads. The one for this ride is on the north side of the road.

Here's a link to a good map of the area: http://www.kidsneedparks.org/trailsma.htm

I've ridden these trails with the Nokian studded tires and unless we get a bunch more snow, the trails should be solid enough for your studded tires to work well.
    --
    Curt Harris
    Anchorage, AK
    [email protected]

We want... a shrubbery!
    Since I'm not in Anchorage, but can see that we're getting snow, but not how much at the trails -- do you think this race is going to need high volume tires?
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    icky,

The NWS is reporting 4.5 inches of snow yesterday at their Sand Lake Road office and Girdwood got about a foot. I expect the east side of town got more. It's been snowing all morning here by the airport on Jewell Lake Rd., but not hard.

I'd guess fatties would be in order. I'll be using the WTB 2.55s though and let everyone with the big'ens pack the trail ahead of me.
    --
    Curt Harris
    Anchorage, AK
    [email protected]

We want... a shrubbery!
    Sweet, thanks for the update. My flights back got delayed some, but I should still be able to make it. If someone could give me a general status report as of tomorrow night of what normals studdies might be able to do, I'd sure appreciate it. I don't have a fattie yet, and don't have any big volume tires unpacked, so if it doesn't sound too feasible, I won't hurry to get to the event.

Word.

Do it.

DO it.
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Diaskeuast

The social crew

Rando, you still planning to lead a social ride? A couple of people have asked me via e-mail if there's going to be one. I'll likely be one of your followers.

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyickyptngzutboing
    I notice that someone said the course was non-fattire friendly, but if someone can tell me if they think it'd be feasible on 2.1 studs, I'd sure appreciate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by georgejetson
    2nd reply on the studs!!! all I have is my nrs with studs, will these work?
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Karma
    Rando, you still planning to lead a social ride?

My, how things change! akdeluxe and I got out and did a night ride last night that included a bunch of the course. It was an absolute blast to be out there in a fresh five to six inches of snow while it was still coming down. It wasn't the easiest of rides however, and you couldn't have done it without a fattie. We aired way down just to make riding possible. It was super scenic though with all the trees heavily loaded by stacks of fluff.

We've received another eight inches or so accumulation since we rode last night, and unless the course sees lots of skier or skijoring traffic, for the most part it won't be rideable. Normal width tires or studded.....fugetaboutit. Right now it would even be a struggle with Endomorphs.

Once the snow stops I'd still be willing to tow folks around the course if some enthusiastic skiers have hit it first. We might all be better off breaking out the skis and packing it down to make riding it possible, otherwise it'll be a pushing slog.

Rando
    Last edited by EndoRando; 01-10-2008 at 07:16 PM.

Grillin' & Chillin'

Rolling the Fatback for a Mellow Social Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Big Karma
    Rando, you still planning to lead a social ride? A couple of people have asked me via e-mail if there's going to be one. I'll likely be one of your followers.
    I'm going to rolling nice mellow for the social ride. I'll volunteer to be guide. I rode for three hours today with John Evingson and will be putting in a few hours in the morning riding with Broken Toe Joe, plus I'll be helping Carlos set the course in the afternoon, thus the mellowness for the evening ride. See you out there. It should be fun.
    Grill Meister
    "There were never any good old days
    They are today, they are tomorrow
    "
    - Gogol Bordello

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'll be there to help as well, assuming you and Carlos don't mind.

What was you ride today like? How much new snow is out there?
    --
    Curt Harris
    Anchorage, AK
    [email protected]

Grillin' & Chillin'

Soft and Slow - Fat Tires Rule!!!

Obviously the new snow has slowed things down, but each day it gets more compacted. Most of the trails we rode on the hillside were pretty soft. Lots of the Chester Creek Greenbelt trail was groomed and faster. I think It will be most advantageous to the fat tire bikes. Skinny tires won't survive.
    Grill Meister
    "There were never any good old days
    They are today, they are tomorrow
    "
    - Gogol Bordello

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Man, there's just no way to stuff anything bigger then WTB's 2.55 in my frame.
    --
    Curt Harris
    Anchorage, AK
    [email protected]

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Snaux Bros

Yo Brother, you are welcome anytime !

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by speedsk8_ak
    Obviously the new snow has slowed things down, but each day it gets more compacted. Most of the trails we rode on the hillside were pretty soft.

I think It will be most advantageous to the fat tire bikes. Skinny tires won't survive.

That's pretty much the story....the singletrack that's packed is a pretty narrow ribbon, and requires the utmost concentration, the Tour trail and Homestead are starting to firm up nicely, around the bog and on Speedway without a fat tire bike you may as well be walking.

I arrived a bit late for the ride last night. Even though I was running behind, I did a quick NOAA website check, and Campbell Cr Sci Ctr was -13 F. My first thought was I'll be one of only a few showing up. That did turn out to be the case.

I rode into the N. Bivouac parking area to find Carlos and Jim trying to help out Broken Toe Joe with a frozen drlr cage pulley. The upper one somehow got some water/moisture in it and seized, no one had any means to flush it.

The riders that attended had already departed, a group of five, so I told Carlos I'd ride sweep and make sure everyone was okay. On the far side of the swamp of doom I caught up to Big Karma, mjshea, 87beemer, and speedsk8. It was amazing how well everyone was doing and how positive the spirits were. All were well prepared for the temps and having a fun time. akdeluxe had pressed on ahead.

The ride turned out to be a social, casual affair, which I think lended to making it such a good time. It didn't have the serious race nature about it at all. We laughed a bit about mustache and beard icicles and some pics were snapped I'm sure. Maybe beemer will post one. We purposely kept the pace a gear or two low to keep from getting frostnipped.

Not sure just how long the loop took to complete, but Carlos, Joe and Jim were still milling about to greet us at the finish. Thanks guys, it was nice not to ride into an abandoned parking lot, even though doing so would have been completely understandable.

Thanks to those who put in some trail maintenance effort yesterday afternoon...Curt, Carlos, mj, anyone else I might have missed....I may still get out today, and if so I'll pick up the flags.

Good time was had folks, just put on another layer, don't let the temps intimidate you, we were all really comfortable.

Rando

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Roll Over : The chilling rezultz

Well, we had some RD pulley drama, -13 temps, anti-wussy riders, world class frozen nasal ice columns, and some very interesting facial glaciers. A very hardy thank you to the following for representing the and upholding the Fridgid Bits riders : Leonardo aka, akdelux, Broken Toe Joe, Reverend Karma, Grill Meister, Maura, 87 Beemer, EndoRando and Jim. The route was 9 miles long, akdelux completed the circuit in 1H and 15m and the rest of the pack came in at 2 H 15m.

The next ride is on Saturday, January 27th at 7 PM and I hope to have a monster course ( a fast course with no tech turns ) on the ice on Goose lake. Also remember its a tail gate night !

QUOTE=EndoRando]That's pretty much the story....the singletrack that's packed is a pretty narrow ribbon, and requires the utmost concentration, the Tour trail and Homestead are starting to firm up nicely, around the bog and on Speedway without a fat tire bike you may as well be walking.

I arrived a bit late for the ride last night. Even though I was running behind, I did a quick NOAA website check, and Campbell Cr Sci Ctr was -13 F. My first thought was I'll be one of only a few showing up. That did turn out to be the case.

I rode into the N. Bivouac parking area to find Carlos and Jim trying to help out Broken Toe Joe with a frozen drlr cage pulley. The upper one somehow got some water/moisture in it and seized, no one had any means to flush it.

The riders that attended had already departed, a group of five, so I told Carlos I'd ride sweep and make sure everyone was okay. On the far side of the swamp of doom I caught up to Big Karma, mjshea, 87beemer, and speedsk8. It was amazing how well everyone was doing and how positive the spirits were. All were well prepared for the temps and having a fun time. akdeluxe had pressed on ahead.

The ride turned out to be a social, casual affair, which I think lended to making it such a good time. It didn't have the serious race nature about it at all. We laughed a bit about mustache and beard icicles and some pics were snapped I'm sure. Maybe beemer will post one. We purposely kept the pace a gear or two low to keep from getting frostnipped.

Not sure just how long the loop took to complete, but Carlos, Joe and Jim were still milling about to greet us at the finish. Thanks guys, it was nice not to ride into an abandoned parking lot, even though doing so would have been completely understandable.

Thanks to those who put in some trail maintenance effort yesterday afternoon...Curt, Carlos, mj, anyone else I might have missed....I may still get out today, and if so I'll pick up the flags.

Good time was had folks, just put on another layer, don't let the temps intimidate you, we were all really comfortable.

Rando[/QUOTE]

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Hey all, I got out tonight and rode the Frigid course again and picked up all the flags. Once more I checked the temps in the area prior to riding, -15 F at the Sci Ctr. I'm prepared for it now though, and had a real nice ride using up the last hour of daylight and another hour with a helmet light.

I couldn't believe how much the riding conditions have improved in a 24 hour period. The bog loop, or Moose Ridge, has just been groomed for skijoring and it's way faster and easier than last night. Speedway Singletrack has seen enough traffic since last night that I rode almost the entire length without dabbing. Okay, I dabbed twice or thrice...and both Moose Meadows and Rovers have been groomed.

It appears we were just a day early, cuz it's starting to get really prime. Give it another day to set up and it'll be all the better.

One word of caution: I ran into an unruly moose, wouldn't you know it, on Moose Ridge Loop. Second time this year I had to outsprint one. He was quite a sight though, with circles of frost around his eyes only....very reverse racoon-like!

rio, I'll get your flags to ya next opportunity we get.

Rando

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EndoRando
    Hey Carlos, I decided to get out for a local spin today, and thought I'd pre-ride your course. But before I left my house, I had an old computer I wanted to mount up so I could check the loop distance, so as long as I did a fair job at my rollout your loop is right at nine miles.

Pretty straightforward here. The only point of clarification to make is to turn left onto Moose Ridge at the second signpost while you're on the Tank Trail. The first is called Moose Link, and will take you through a swampy area that still has a ton of exposed grassy tussocks, and then connects with Moose Ridge loop. That swampy portion still needs more snow, so pass that first signpost!

You'll be making a counter-clockwise loop around the pond. This is smooth and fast. The log crossing and dismount has been cut out. There's a few exposed roots now and then, and with less snow than usual it has its share of whoop-dee-doos, but it's twisty fun! So fast with a low rolling resistance tire like either Endomorphs or Weirwolf LT's. There were two other cute girl riders on this section today! Always a bonus.....

Again, a large post with signage will direct this turn, hang a right at your only four way intersection. A party of three biking women were out today, taking a break on the other side of the swamp of doom....great day to be out! Awesome scenery!

This portion has seen a bit less traffic by skiers, so not quite as smooth. Still pretty fast though as long as you stay on the packed singletrack. Ran into Adam here on his maiden voyage aboard his new WildFire FatBike. Sweet cherry red color, beee-oooo-tiful!

Fast and flat. Kick it up a gear or three now....

Speedway will require a bit more concentration compared to Homestead that you just left, lots of tight turns that will force you to reduce speed a bit. There was one overhanging tree that hooked my Camelback grab handle last week and yanked me, but that's been cutout. It's in the best shape that I've seen it this year though. If you've never ridden this trail it's worth doing before racing it.

Lots of skier traffic has left this really smooth as well. Two things to watch out for: a skijoring dog left a pretty long trail of serious rhea that was absolutely disgusting, and there's a couple of open icy areas on the upper end of Rover's. My computer revealed right at nine miles upon completion of the loop.

I'd be happy to lead a social ride if there are riders unfamiliar with the course. Let me know. Or if you want to flag it much like the Frosty Bottom was, I'd be happy to help out.

And if conditions stay as they are now, there really won't be much call for special winter bikes. Almost any summer ride will do fine with some large volume tires.

Here's Adam and his new steed, shakin' it down to prepare for his McGrath trip next month.

Rando

Nice glamor shot Adam.

Dec 2007
    randy, was that big bad moose chasing you?? i would have liked to have seen that. glad your ok though. when i first started riding w/ a shop race team our coach said we were going to ride and meet our sprint coach today. i was very green and had no clue what he was talking about, i assumed it was a person i had not met yet, wrong! half way up a monster climb out runs this dog off a porch and he was at our feet in a second! your climbing thinking you have nothing left to give, but being bitten repetedly makes you " dig deeper into the suitcase of courage" to quote phil ligget.

Members who have read this thread: 0